work on sundays

I know you’re supposed to abstain from ‘unnecessary’ work on Sundays, but do you guys think it’s alright to work if you are very poor and could really use the additional money? I would would only be working Sunday night- say, 6-11- so I would still be able to go to Mass and rest most of the day- do you guys think that’s acceptable?

Unnecessary means unnecessary - if you need the money to put food on the table and pay (reasonable) bills AND you can’t find extra work during the week, then fine.

[quote=little_flower]I would would only be working Sunday night- say, 6-11- so I would still be able to go to Mass and rest most of the day- do you guys think that’s acceptable?
[/quote]

I also work on Sundays because my work schedule requires it. For me it is a choice between having a job that puts food on the table or no job and no food.

I think God would rather my wife and I eat.

[quote=little_flower]I know you’re supposed to abstain from ‘unnecessary’ work on Sundays, but do you guys think it’s alright to work if you are very poor and could really use the additional money? I would would only be working Sunday night- say, 6-11- so I would still be able to go to Mass and rest most of the day- do you guys think that’s acceptable?
[/quote]

Hi Little Flower…the work above does not sound unnecessary to me and I would undertake it knowing that it is God’s Will for you at this time since it is necessary. Food and bills when one is poor and needs the money is not at all unnecessary - in fact necessary and a duty to provide if one is able - hence God’s Will.

I like your signature…it is straight from Jean Pierre Caussade’s Abandonment to Divine Providence almost word for word and it is felt that St. Therese probably know of the work.

Barb:)

[quote=little_flower]I know you’re supposed to abstain from ‘unnecessary’ work on Sundays, but do you guys think it’s alright to work if you are very poor and could really use the additional money??
[/quote]

if you are working because you need the money it is not unnecessary.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.