Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede / Toys R' Us Shooting

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

BY JOE GOULD
DAILY NEWS WRITER
Friday, November 28th 2008, 4:16 PM

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old employee, a temporary maintenance worker, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.

Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

"They were working on him, but you could see he was dead, said Halcyon Alexander, 29. “People were still coming through.”

Only a few stopped.

“They’re savages,” said shopper Kimberly Cribbs, 27. “It’s sad. It’s terrible.”

nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html

This is what happens when people are focused too much on materialism. The poor man died because people were rushing to get some useless junk on sale.

As much as I like sales, this is too much. I was able to get a DVD I wanted online, but I wouldn’t trample on someone to save a few measly bucks. :frowning: This is so sad. There was nothing in that store that is worth someone’s life.

2 dead after shots fired in SoCal Toys ‘R’ Us
By GILLIAN FLACCUS, Associated Press Writer
Friday, November 28, 2008

Two people were shot to death in a crowded toy store on Black Friday in a confrontation apparently involving rival groups, city officials said.

sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/11/28/state/n123739S87.DTL&tsp=1

“A new generation of Christians is being called to help build a world in which God’s gift of life is welcomed, respected and cherished — not rejected, feared as a threat and destroyed,” the pope told a crowd, estimated by the organizers at 400,000, at a racecourse and nearby park.

Benedict urged young people to create “a new age in which hope liberates us from the shallowness, apathy and self-absorption which deaden our souls and poison our relationships.”

“In so many of our societies, side by side with material prosperity, a spiritual desert is spreading: an interior emptiness, an unnamed fear, a quiet sense of despair,” he warned.

Pope Benedict XVI, Sydney, Australia, 2008

This is very disturbing. I hope that whomever started the melee has great remorse and never shops again on a Black Friday. Hopefully, this young man was not a dad leaving behind a distraught family of young children. No matter who he left behind, he was someone’s son, cousin, friend etc. May his soul rest in peace. Amen.

And hopefully his family will be duly compensated by Wal Mart for this hideous crime against a human life.

When will we learn? When will we learn that Thanksgiving is not about shopping? When will we learn there is more to Christmas than getting the newest XBox or iPod? I am just sickend by the savagery of the Americn public’s attitudes towards marterialism, profaning what should be holy. Maybe we deserve the economic crisis we are in. Maybe we nees to relearn what is really important. Perhaps we need to take a step back from Christmas and stop celbrating it the way the rest of America does. Instead of focusing on gifts and turkeys and trees, we should truly celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. Call me a killjoy if you wish, but there can be no justification for this level of avarice.

This reminds of Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. An Ikea opened near our installation killing couple of them Muslims. It’s just crazy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.