Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

from the NY Daily News:

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart after being trampled in Black Friday stampede

A Wal-Mart worker died after being trampled when hundreds of shoppers smashed through the doors of a Long Island store Friday morning, police and witnesses said.

The 34-year-old employee, a temporary maintenance worker, tried to hold back the unruly crowds just after the Valley Stream store opened at 5 a.m.
Witnesses said the surging throngs of shoppers knocked the man down. He fell and was stepped on. As he gasped for air, shoppers ran over and around him.

“He was bum-rushed by 200 people,” said Jimmy Overby, 43, a co-worker. "They took the doors off the hinges. He was trampled and killed in front of me. They took me down too…I literally had to fight people off my back."
The unidentified victim was rushed to an area hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 6:03 a.m., police said.

God have mercy on this poor man and especially on those who killed him. I hope they got the bargains they were so anxious for.

Really? I hope they didn’t. Why should they profit from this man’s death?

I can’t believe how some people are willing to reduce themselves to mindless stampeding animals in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. At least when actual animals stampede, they usually have a good reason for doing so.

Mob mentality is a terrible thing.

You know way back in the late 70s early 80s some kids were killed in Cincinatti as they rushed to try to get into a concert with tickets that had been ‘oversold’. People were shocked. Ticket overselling was condemned and at least for some time it ceased. The media actually acknowledged that their ‘hyping’ of the event played some part in the incident.

Do you think, though, that the media will stand back and say, “This whole ‘black friday’ early sales and frantic hyping and excessive media coverage was part of the reason this man was killed. Retail industries and the media should acknowledge this. Events like this are dangerous and should be stopped?”

I won’t hold my breath. Pretty soon we’ll start hearing that the man was somehow partly responsible himself, that most of the people were actually heroically trying to rescue him, that if there was actually somebody they can pin it on he or she will turn out to be a religious freak who actually engineered the whole thing because of trying to stop ‘consumer Christmas’, and if anything, we need to have MORE and bigger retail sales like this and MORE spending because otherwise the economy will go bust and it will be our fault.

This makes me literally feel sick.

I was sort of hoping that the idea of a recession would induce people to spend less, perhaps make their own gifts and shed the crazy, spend, spend, spend attitude.

Silly me :frowning: .

There was an article in the Baltimore Sun a couple weeks ago about how people are spending less. A grandmother was quoted as saying she would buy each grandchild only 3 gifts, as opposed to the usual 6. I hoped people might realize they didn’t need to buy so much stuff.

“Merry Christmas Billy! You know I literally had to kill to get you that Wii???”

disgusting.

Examine the surveylence tapes, find the killers, and issue the warrents. While I like the Christmas holliday. I hate the Christmes shopping season.

I heard about this coming into work today. People are nuts. No discount or kids toy is worth this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.