Working around the house on Sunday

Some confussion in my home. I wish to work in and around the yard for a few hours on Sunday and my wife feels I should not. I enjoy the yard time and it needs to be accomplished. My wife feels that any work with machines on Sunday should be avoided.

[quote="stdavids, post:1, topic:239270"]
Some confussion in my home. I wish to work in and around the yard for a few hours on Sunday and my wife feels I should not. I enjoy the yard time and it needs to be accomplished. My wife feels that any work with machines on Sunday should be avoided.

[/quote]

IMO, if it's a way to relax and enjoy yourself, why not? Many people enjoy gardening, and they don't consider it "work", but their chosen form of recreation.

I love to sew, and it is my hobby. But I have to use a machine. So should I forgo my hobby on Sunday because I need to use a machine? I don't think so. Machines actually make work less work.

Also, if you are not going to use a machine on Sunday, don't drive your car.:)

unless you are Amish, or unless use of those machines is how you ordinarily make your living, there is no problem.

I can’t avoid doing housework or yardwork on Sunday. I work 40-50 hours m-f and commute another 10 hours. Then I have to parent, prepare meals, and sleep. Weekends are housework, yardwork, laundry and usually a few hours of work. There’s just no way to manage my household without doing some work on Sunday. I figure God gets it.

The prohibition is against servile work. Servile work is generally the work which you engage in to make your living. Working around the garden for many is a recreation, for others it is a chore. My personal opinion is that if we are working in our garden because it is a pleasurable diversion from regular work then it is OK. But if you are working so hard during the other 6 days that Sunday is all that is left to do chores, then I personally think that you are not properly keeping Sunday holy. Chores should generally be done during the 6 days of the week with Sunday being a day of recreation, rest, prayer, church, visiting friends and family, visiting the poor and widows, doing good deeds of service etc.

I think it is probably OK on a rare occasion to do a shift on Sunday, because our observance is not legalistic as the old Sabbath observance was, however its a bit of a dodgy area. As Catholics our entire week and to a large degree our entire life, should be ordered so that we can keep the Sabbath holy as is commanded in the ten commandments. Slaving away in the garden with dusty noisy mowers dripping with sweat and smelling of petrol fumes is not my idea of keeping the day holy. Whereas pottering around in the garden trimming the roses and pulling the odd weed and watering the petunias probably is.

But of course, these are matters for each man to judge in his heart. In the last day though we will be examined as to how we have ordered and prioritised our lives.

Doing anything on a Sunday other than attending Mass and praying in your prayer closet is a mortal sin.

That was a joke.

But evidently some people think it's not.

Most of us no longer employ servants. We have machines. Even if we are sweaty and noisy, if our household needs maintainance, it's up to us. And many of us have no other time than Sunday.

I believe we have strayed so far from the path of righteousness that common sense has flown out the window along with it.

Jesus' response about the Sabbath being made for man, and not man being made for the Sabbath comes to mind:

Then he said to them, "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. That is why the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath." (Mark 2:27)

We try to set Sunday apart as a special day, but don't go over the top in terms of what can and can't be done. I will be doing the store today because I need to go get some toppings for our chili. Some people would say that's a sin.

I don’t get too “legalistic” about it. Sunday should be set aside for the Lord…to me that means going to Mass and having prayer/rest time. But if we need groceries in the house or the yard needs to be mowed I don’t see anything wrong with taking care of those things, also.

I am trying not to do things on Sunday besides the bare essentials and going to work as I am obligated to work Sundays for my employer but I go to Mass on Saturday evenings. People must eat, so you can prepare a simple meal as we must all eat perhaps not make something elaborate like on other days of the week. I would say not do 3 loads of laundry on Sunday but if your child and/or spouse is ill, and you need to wash the sheets from their bed then you got to do so.

I agree that you can be out there gardening or doing light landscaping work as you enjoy - but real work really should not be done, such as painting the trim. Double no-no on using a machine that is going to disturb the Sunday calm of the neighborhood.

I am from a small town and almost no one uses power tools or even mows the lawn on Sunday. Those who do are thought of as ignorant and/or inconsiderate.

[quote="MissRose73, post:9, topic:239270"]
I would say not do 3 loads of laundry on Sunday but if your child and/or spouse is ill, and you need to wash the sheets from their bed then you got to do so.

[/quote]

Not so much in the summer, but during the school year, Sunday IS laundry day. We would not have clean clothes if laundry did not get done on Sunday!

[quote="NSFrame, post:10, topic:239270"]
I agree that you can be out there gardening or doing light landscaping work as you enjoy - but real work really should not be done, such as painting the trim. .

[/quote]

Well, I did not paint the trim today, but I did paint an entire side of my house. Just finished it now. I planned to finish last week, but the temperatures of 100 got in the way and delayed me. Today, it is only 80, so conditions were perfect. Besides, painting is kind of fun. I have tangible evidence of my accomplishments AND it looks so nice! :thumbsup:

Double no-no on using a machine that is going to disturb the Sunday calm of the neighborhood.

[/quote]

My sons often mow on Sunday, depending on their other work schedules, the weather, etc.

No one has to justify what they do at home on a Sunday.

[quote="MissRose73, post:9, topic:239270"]
People must eat, so you can prepare a simple meal as we must all eat perhaps not make something elaborate like on other days of the week.

[/quote]

For many families Sunday dinner is the biggest "family" meal of the week. It was certainly that way when I was growing up, when my grandparents usually had someone coming over for dinner, or went went to someone else's house. Today our family has something special - a roast usually but sometimes a leg of lamb or ribs - that takes too much time to prepare during the week. Our Sunday afternoon dinners are special for our family, and I think that's in keeping with the Sabbath.

Except for today. Today I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel, there's dust and debris everywhere and the water gets shut off periodically. No Sunday dinner today.

I agree that you can be out there gardening or doing light landscaping work as you enjoy - but real work really should not be done, such as painting the trim. Double no-no on using a machine that is going to disturb the Sunday calm of the neighborhood.

I am from a small town and almost no one uses power tools or even mows the lawn on Sunday. Those who do are thought of as ignorant and/or inconsiderate.

[/quote]

We're 1/2 through a bathroom remodel, a remodel that's gone over five days already. At the moment there's a worker cutting tile with a tile saw in my front yard. Declasse, possibly, but right now I'd be Okay with them working around the clock just to get this thing done. :p

I feel it's a sign of respect for your neighbors to not use power tools or otherwise make a lot of noise on Sunday. Can you, yes, but it's not very thoughtful to others.

I can see a one-time project maybe, but especially if you are habitually bothering other people with your machine noise on Sunday I think it's basically saying to your neighbors "I'm more important than you."

[quote="NSFrame, post:15, topic:239270"]
I feel it's a sign of respect for your neighbors to not use power tools or otherwise make a lot of noise on Sunday. Can you, yes, but it's not very thoughtful to others.

I can see a one-time project maybe, but especially if you are habitually bothering other people with your machine noise on Sunday I think it's basically saying to your neighbors "I'm more important than you."

[/quote]

:shrug: Huh? Why?

Many of my neighbors are out and about on Sundays. Many are doing yard work, home maintenance, playing with their kids, or just plain gone for the weekend.

Somehow I think if I let my grass grow too long, my neighbors would be more upset than if I mowed on a Sunday afternoon!

Is everyone expected to quietly sit in silence with hands folded while we contemplate our navels all day? Sorry, but that is not realistic! Nor practical!

My neighbor has a huge tree (weeping willow) that is in serious need of pruning and trimming. There is no fence between our yards. The tree hangs partly over on my yard, and I have pruned as much of it as I can, but the rest is up to the neighbor. I would be THRILLED to have them out on any day, Sunday included, with power tools pruning their tree. As it looks now, the tree looks ridiculous, because my side is pruned up about 10 feet, and theirs hangs nearly to the ground.

Even here in my extremely "liberal" urban neighborhood I noticed this afternoon that not a single person was running a power tool. It's just common courtesy to not disturb the peace and quiet of a Sunday with machine noise. And especially in the small town where I'm from, there really is a special sense of peace and quiet on Sundays that really would be wrecked by some buzzing weed wacker or power saw or mower.

[quote="excubitor, post:5, topic:239270"]
The prohibition is against servile work. Servile work is generally the work which you engage in to make your living.

[/quote]

I'm a DRE. I work every Sunday morning when Religious Education is in session. :p

[quote="NSFrame, post:17, topic:239270"]
Even here in my extremely "liberal" urban neighborhood I noticed this afternoon that not a single person was running a power tool. It's just common courtesy to not disturb the peace and quiet of a Sunday with machine noise. And especially in the small town where I'm from, there really is a special sense of peace and quiet on Sundays that really would be wrecked by some buzzing weed wacker or power saw or mower.

[/quote]

I just hope no cars ever drive by your street on a Sunday---or your church.

Or a motorcycle or scooter…or a motorized skateboard (some kids in my neighborhood have them).

How about power tools, like drills, sanders, and saws?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.