Working On Sunday Question

I am looking for careers, and what to do, and I think being a real estate agent sounds interesting.

However, I think real estate agents have to work on Sunday a lot. Is it moral to sell houses on Sunday?

Thanks!

If I remember correctly, you’re not exactly a self-starter. I know several RE agents - they are hard workers. They are usually not employees who get told what to do, but contractors who work for themselves under the umbrella of a designated RE broker.

To sell real estate you have to be energetic & on the ball. You have to know a LOT about both selling & RE law. You have to take tests about that knowledge. Have you seen a RE contract? The one we signed when we were thinking of selling was maybe 20 pages long. Good thing we were working with a friend - we didn’t have to worry about understanding everything in the contract - we knew Larry did understand it & wouldn’t screw us over.

Unless you’ve had a major personality change, I don’t think real estate is for you.

Forgot to answer your question - RE agents do sometimes work on Sunday - if they want. Larry works sometimes on Sunday, but he goes to church first. And he’s Protestant. I used to work at a hospital, which meant working on Sundays & holidays. I was always able to make it to Mass somewhere.

My added comment struck me as a bit strange without explanation. In pointing out that our RE friend Larry is Protestant, I meant that his church has no rule that says he has to attend services. He simply wants to. That’s an attitude I find laudable in both Protestants & Catholics; in any religion, for that matter.

It is not immoral to sell houses on a Sunday.
paduard.

Catechism:

A day of grace and rest from work

2185 On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body.123 Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.

The charity of truth seeks holy leisure- the necessity of charity accepts just work.124 

2192 “Sunday . . . is to be observed as the foremost holy day of obligation in the universal Church” (CIC, can. 1246 § 1). “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound to participate in the Mass” (CIC, can. 1247).

2193 “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation the faithful are bound . . . to abstain from those labors and business concerns which impede the worship to be rendered to God, the joy which is proper to the Lord’s Day, or the proper relaxation of mind and body” (CIC, can. 1247).

scborromeo.org/ccc/p3s2c1a3.htm#II Read the whole there.

"The meaning of rest and of work

1. Finally, it is particularly urgent nowadays to remember that the day of the Lord is also a day of rest from work. It is greatly to be hoped that this fact will also be recognized by civil society, so that individuals can be permitted to refrain from work without being penalized. Christians, not without reference to the meaning of the Sabbath in the Jewish tradition, have seen in the Lord’s Day a day of rest from their daily exertions. This is highly significant, for it relativizes work and directs it to the person: work is for man and not man for work. It is easy to see how this actually protects men and women, emancipating them from a possible form of enslavement. As I have had occasion to say, “work is of fundamental importance to the fulfilment of the human being and to the development of society. Thus, it must always be organized and carried out with full respect for human dignity and must always serve the common good. At the same time, it is indispensable that people not allow themselves to be enslaved by work or to idolize it, claiming to find in it the ultimate and definitive meaning of life.” (209) It is on the day consecrated to God that men and women come to understand the meaning of their lives and also of their work."

–Pope Benedict XVI

Read the whole: w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_ben-xvi_exh_20070222_sacramentum-caritatis.html#The_eucharistic_form_of_the_christian_life

Thanks for the replies! :slight_smile:

So I assume that working on Sunday should be avoided, if possible, and depending on the importance of the job.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.