working while in school........

I am in college right now and I am thinking about getting a part time job. I think I can handle it and school but what do yall think? My parents say that I don’t have to get a part time job unless I just want to. Is it better to focus on school or work part time while in school? I just don’t want to get in over my head.

If you don’t have a really demanding major (like Aerospace Engineering, for example), I say get a job. :thumbsup: I worked part-time hours (15-20 hrs./week) during college, and am very thankful for the experience.

I went to school 3/4 time, worked, and kept a house. It can be done, you just have to be very organized and really know how to manage your time.

Working is always a good experience - try to do something relevant to your degree if you can. Every little bit of practical experience helps in the end when job hunting comes along.

~Liza

I didn’t have a choice. Part of my financial aid package was work study, and I had to provide my own spending money for the most part.

[LEFT]I’m incredibly thankful that I have a job. it’s just about the only thing that’s keeping me sane after school while my wife and I are so far apart!
[/LEFT]

Most students work now, and it sems to me it keeps them from getting wrapped up in the campus social nonsense. It also builds experience and you can point to working your way through school as proof you can handle stress. Plenty of students now work, study and raise kids all at once and get good grades. If you can’t handle the hours and you have to cut them, you may have saved in the meantime so you can afford to cut your hours.

What she said. I worked for a few semesters in undergrad, and really enjoyed the break from school (and the extra spending money). Like you, I didn’t technically need to work as tuition was paid by scholarships, a loan, and parents, and I lived at home, but I still enjoyed the cash for extras. I did quit in my final semester, which was a good call. I took 18 credits that winter, and I can’t imagine how I would have gotten through the three research reports and four final exams if I’d been working.

To make it short: go for it. You can always quit if it starts interfering with your studies.

I held down 3-4 part-time jobs simultaneously all through college, and still graduated with a 4.0. There were numerous networking benefits to working while in school, not to mention that I was able to graduate debt-free. Of course it’s possible to do both! (And yes, you can still have a great social life…I met my husband my junior year :heart: )

I worked starting at the age of 15 (Daddy said I had to if I wanted to drive). I learned to manage responsibilities, to manage my time and to excel. It was worth it.

I’m working and a junior in college, at the moment. I work 10-15 hours a week and manage to stay on the Dean’s list; although I’m pretty lucky because I’m allowed to study while on the job, which helps a lot.

Also, I have a bunch of friends who are graduating and having a hard time finding a job because they don’t have the 2-3 years work experiance that employers seem to be looking for. (One of my other friends works for a employment company and sifts through resumes, she told me that having a steady job is very important thing for your resume.)

I’m going to school right now and working part time (more like full time around holidays). It’s a matter of what job you take, if they understand that you are a student, and huge matter of time management. I’ll be graduating in November with a 4.0. I worked when I went for my first degree and that was work study. I worked for my advisor so it was easy to work with her in regards to my schedule and homework.

I worked through school. I held down at least 3 part time jobs at any given time during college, except my last year when I quit all but one so I could focus more on my studies. I really feel that I learned time management, work ethic, and responsibility. I didn’t have much of a social life, but I didn’t have any debt either, except from that last year.

Now I’m doing my Master’s Degree, and I’m working full-time and studying at night. Once again, I recommend it. This time around, I’m working in the same field I’m studying (education) so I can apply my studies to my work and my work to my studies. It’s so much easier to write papers since I have practical experience in my field.

Go for it. If it’s too much, you can always quit.

I voted NO. It really depends on your major. I worked one semester during undergrad, and it worked out OK. But for my graduate program it was impossible, though other people did it out of sheer necessity. I say, if you don’t have to work, get involved in extra academic work or campus organizations. You don’t have that luxury later, and these can be just as valuable as marketplace experiences–especially if you are going on for higher degrees.

I voted no. It does really depend on your situation though. If you don’t have to work, then I wouldn’t. You have the rest of your life to work! Seriously! Working between semesters (like in the spring/summer) is a good idea though, if you can find something in those short months.

If you need independence from your parents and need some of your own money, then working a few hours a week makes sense. But if you don’t need that independence yet, no need to work until after you finish school. Focus on school :slight_smile:

I think it depends on your situation…

My electrical engineering major was HARD… I did nothing but study during the week. On the weekends I traveled home to spend time with my BF/Fiance/Husband (which progressed throughout college)… but even then I was studying almost the entire weekend! :o

I think if it’s a necessity, then you make it work… or if you have the extra time during the week and would like some extra spending money, then go for it!
It just depends on the situation!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.