Works how they work or don't

Not too long ago another forum member shared the following:

“Works cannot save us (only the Grace of Christian Baptism can do that). Failure to perform a reasonably expected work, given sufficient knowledge and consent, could condemn us, but no good work can save us”.

I never knew that good works, once a person is saved through baptism are not necessary for salvation. I always thought that good works is just another way to express one’s love of God and neighbor and a sure way to grow in the grace and knowledge of God and, as such, a source to strengthen one’s hold on their present salvation. I can also see where no good works could led to the loss of salvation but I also see where good works can be a source of God’s grace. A grace many of us need to grow in in order to retain our salvation. Where am I going wrong?

This is just me, but I think this area of questioning or perhaps the way it’s phrased is not helpful, not your question specifically. It reflects a protestant reformation/revolution mentality it seems to me.

Jesus saves us, sure. And baptism is a critical step on that road, but I like to remember especially about Jesus parable- his only parable I believe where a person was condemned to Hell- where the person was condemned because he failed to “do” someething. He, the rich man, rejected helping Lazarus.

I guess to me it’s not that complicated. The book of James in our New Testament spellis it out pretty clearly, it seems.

Faith without works is indeed dead. And dead faith won’t help us make it into Heaven.

Let’s look at what The Bible says about it:
James 2:17-10 . . .Faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.