World Cup Commercial

I was watching the world cup match yesterday and was presented the following commercial by Hyundai

youtube.com/watch?v=usGXbevz9Rs

I found it very offensive. I have sent an email to Hyundai telling them that I was offended. I also sent the above link to Bill Donohue of the Catholic League. If you find this commercial offensive please contact Hyuandai at worldwide.hyundai.com/contact-us.aspx

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_Maradoniana They are quite free to make fun of the ridiculous.

I think that the offense comes in that they seem to use trappings well known to be associated with the Catholic church in their pretend church. If I understand correctly, the commercial did not invent the soccer church, they are just exploiting it.

I would suggest saving your indignation for something more worthwhile.

[quote="BillFL, post:1, topic:201819"]
I was watching the world cup match yesterday and was presented the following commercial by Hyundai

I found it very offensive. I have sent an email to Hyundai telling them that I was offended. I also sent the above link to Bill Donohue of the Catholic League. If you find this commercial offensive please contact Hyuandai at worldwide.hyundai.com/contact-us.aspx

[/quote]

I was prepared to shrug this off, but actually, I agree this was VERY offensive. The procession and incense were bad enough -- but the "pizza communion?" Given that soccer is far moe popular in Europe and the mid-East, I wonder why they didn't set this "wedding" in a "soccer mosque" instead. Oh wait, I think I know . . . .

…and South America, and Central America, and Australia and Asia and just about anywhere except the US…what’s your point again?

I presented my complaints via email.Thank you for letting us know about this commercial.
Everybody should boycott the co until they apologize.:mad:
I told them I would not consider buying from them till they do.

The commercial is offensive, but I’m still not convinced it’s a real church. I think Hyundai put it together for a publicity stunt or something. Please tell me it’s not a real church.

The broader point is how many temporal things can become a religion to people. Take politics in America as an example; there are people who hold up the Democratic Party as their religion.

[quote="PadraigPearce, post:7, topic:201819"]
The commercial is offensive, but I'm still not convinced it's a real church. I think Hyundai put it together for a publicity stunt or something. Please tell me it's not a real church.

[/quote]

It's obviously a set which was designed and built for their commercial.

There are also people who worship guns.

I think it's actually a good commentary on how we worship things of our own creation.

Done.

It is the “trappings” of the Church and the procession that bothers me. But what most bothers me the most is the chanting in Latin the “Lamb of God” “Agnus Dei, qui tollis peccata mundi, miserere nobis”

which translates

“Lamb of God, you who take away the sins of the world, have mercy upon us.”

What hurt me the most was the crown of thorns encircling the soccer ball.

[quote="BillFL, post:1, topic:201819"]

[/quote]

Thanks for the heads-up.
Have just said my piece to Hyundai.

DISGUSTING abuse of religion.

[quote="Mattapoisett64, post:4, topic:201819"]
I was prepared to shrug this off, but actually, I agree this was VERY offensive. The procession and incense were bad enough -- but the "pizza communion?" Given that soccer is far moe popular in Europe and the mid-East, I wonder why they didn't set this "wedding" in a "soccer mosque" instead. Oh wait, I think I know . . . .

[/quote]

Yep. There would be violence and death threats if this had been set in a mosque instead.

The entire commercial is offensive to a Catholic, the procession, the Latin, the crown of thorns, the pizza. This is blasphemy.

Hyundai Motor America
P.O. Box 20850
Fountain Valley, CA 92728-0850

(800) 633-5151
Mon – Fri, 5:00 am – 6:00 pm PST

[email]consumeraffairs@hmausa.com[/email]

[quote="Mattapoisett64, post:4, topic:201819"]

[/quote]

to be honest, if they gave slices of pizza away at Catholic services I'd probably go more often.

Just saying...

and you really don't like the commercial - buy an Acura.

Hyundai’s response to my email about this ad…

Hello and thank you for your feedback regarding Hyundai advertising.

Hyundai Motor America would like to thank you and other consumers for sharing concerns about a new ad titled “Wedding” which aired during the opening games of the FIFA World Cup broadcast last week. We take comments of this nature very seriously. Because of feedback like yours, we have removed the ad from all Hyundai communications and stopped airing it.

We credit the passionate World Cup viewers and Hyundai owners for raising this issue to us. The unexpected response created by the ad, which combined both soccer and religious motifs to speak to the passion of international soccer fans, prompted us to take a more critical and informed look at the spot. Though unintentional, we now see it was insensitive. We appreciate your feedback and hope you will accept our sincere apologies.

With appreciation,

Hyundai Motor America

My email…

Customer (Mike Clark (Sea)) 06/14/2010 08:25 AM
There is a commercial being attributed to your company on youtube…

youtube.com/watch?v=usGXbevz9Rs&feature=player_embedded

I hope that this is simply an attempt to slander your good name, and if it is I wish you the best of luck clearing it up and bringing the perpetrators to justice. However, if this is truly an advertisement put out by your company I can tell you that it is far worse than simply being in bad-taste. After seeing this, I am taking the Hyundai Elantra off of my list of cars to consider later this year. Such a blatant and callous indifference to the Spirituality of billons of believers is hard to comprehend. At the very least it shows absolutely no business sense whatsoever.

Please let me know if this is just an attempt by a competitor to slander your brand. I hope that is the case since the Elantra looked like a very nice choice.

Thank you.

Mike Clark

Is this commercial available online anywhere any more? I have heard the comments but want to judge for myself before commenting.

I couldn't find it...

You fellows are correct.
It's been removed by youtube.

It's the very worst commercial; hard to imagine it was used.

Shots seemed to be 'entrance procession into Catholic Church.'
"Priest-actor" singing the Agnus Dei - in Latin.
Full procession, young girl carrying a soccer ball, the ball crowned with thorns.

Vestments, candles, sacraligious "communion" received by rough-looking soccer fans.
"Communion" seemed to be pizza-bites. You can't imagine how bad it was.

Trust those who saw it.
(I saw it.)
It was the very worst.
Thanks so much for asking about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.