World Famous Exorcist Father Gabriele Amorth Dies at 91

The world famous exorcist, Pauline Father Gabriele Amorth, has died at the age of 91.

A priest of the diocese of Rome, Father Amorth was admitted to hospital a few weeks ago suffering from pulmonary complications, according to Italian media reports.

His death was announced by the San Paolo group which has published many of his books.

ncregister.com/blog/edward-pentin/world-famous-exorcist-father-gabriele-amorth-dies-at-91

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/size340/Fr_Gabriele_Amorth_chief_exorcist_of_Rome_speaks_to_CNA_on_May_22_2013_Credit_Stephan_Driscoll_CNA.jpgRome, Italy, Sep 16, 2016 / 04:30 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- Father Gabriel Amorth, the exorcist of the Diocese of Rome who drew worldwide attention, died on Friday at the age of 91.

Leaders of the Society of St. Paul remembered him with “great affection and gratitude,” SIR News reports.

“Now he rests from his many battles with the devil,” Spanish theologian Father Jose Antonio Fortea told CNA Sept. 16.

The priest first met Father Amorth in 1995 during theological studies about exorcisms.

“His doors were open for me and for all priests. There were no mysteries or grandstanding. I could see his work and his simplicity,” Fr. Fortea said.

“His strong, vigorous voice spoke to millions of people about the action of the devil,” he continued. “He alone, one person, managed to revitalize the ministry in one country and then his influence reached everywhere in the Church. The means to achieve this was simply to tell what he had seen.”

Father Amorth was born in Modena in northern Italy on May 1, 1925. He entered the mother house of the Congregation of the Society of St. Paul in Alba in August 1947, five years after meeting its founder, Blessed James Alberione. He was ordained a priest on Jan. 24, 1951.

In 1985, Cardinal Ugo Poletti, the Vicar General of the Diocese of Rome, appointed him exorcist of the diocese. He performed an estimated 70,000 exorcisms, often repeating the rite on the same persons.

Father Amorth drew much publicity for his books explaining his work and his public statements on the demonic.

In an April 2015 Facebook post, he attributed the Islamic State group to demonic influence.

“ISIS is Satan. Things first happen in the spiritual realms, then they are made concrete on this earth,” he said. He added that evil is “disguised” in various political, cultural and religious ways, with one source of inspiration in the devil.

“As a Christian I fight the beast spiritually,” Fr. Amorth said. “Biblically speaking we are in the last days and the beast is working furiously.”

In May 2013, he told CNA that Pope Francis had performed an exorcism in St. Peter’s Square on a man said to be possessed, using a prayer of liberation instead of the ordinary rite.

Some of the priest’s statements did not go unchallenged. When his memoirs were released in 2010, he claimed that there are “members of Satanic sects” in the Vatican, including priests, monsignors and cardinals. Fr. Amorth said the Pope at the time, Benedict XVI, “does what he can” against such groups.

Fr. Fortea himself questioned the claim, saying some exorcists agreed with Fr. Amorth about the Vatican sects, while others did not.

Fr. Amorth held numerous positions in the Society of St. Paul, including aspirant director, high school teacher, delegate of the Italian province, and spiritual director of various lay institutes. He was also a journalist. For many years he directed the monthly “Mother of God” and worked with the group Famiglia Cristiana and Radio Maria.

He was the author of several books and founded the International Association of Exorcists.

On Sept. 8, 2015 the Prefect of Rome, Paola Basilone, in the presence of Italy’s defense minister Roberta Pinotti, awarded Fr. Amorth the Medal of Liberation for his important role in the partisan struggle in Italy during the Second World War.

The priest had been hospitalized for several weeks for lung complications.

Fr. Fortea last saw Fr. Amorth in 2012.

“His character had not changed. So close to ninety years and still doing exorcisms.”

Full article…

I have admired him very much after reading his book, “An Exorcist Tells His Story.” And I have read many news items that reveal his stature. I am sorry he passed away.

I think it’s fair to say he was a controversial figure jimmyakin.com/2006/08/hes_baaaaaaaack.html

Also, a blog post titled Vatican Exorcist Calls Yoga “Satanic” womenofgrace.com/blog/?p=10802 in which you can find this gem, and I quote ‘’ ''He also states that yoga poses could create a feeling of well-being in the body which could be confused with “authentic consolations of the Holy Spirit.” ‘’:eek:

RIP nonetheless.

Praying for the repose of his soul & for his family.

Requiescat in pace.

What he said, would have been based on his experience in exorcisms.

So sad. Rest in peace.

May his soul rest in peace, and may Our Lord reward him for his faithful service.

Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat ei.

Eternal rest grant him O Lord
And let perpetual light shine upon him.
May his soul and the souls of all the faithful departed
Through the mercy of God
Rest in peace.
Amen.

For Amorth, may he rest in peace.
For Fortea, may he be blessed with good health and continue to exorcise.

Thanks for this post and the link to the Jimmy Akin article. It was very interesting and sheds some light on this man with some of his comments on Hitler and Nazis.
I agree may he RIP.

Amen.

70,000 exorcisms!!!???
And often more than once on the same person?
Someone should do a study or a book on what happened to those people. Are they still “possessed”?
Perhaps since, diagnosed with a mental illness?

He says in that same article that Harry Potter is a “tool of the devil” and reading those books “leads to evil.”
But his reasoning on that doesn’t make sense.
He says people shouldn’t read it because, “In Harry Potter the Devil acts in a crafty and covert manner, under the guise of extraordinary powers, magic spells and curses.”
But…we see the same kind of characters and writing in the Christian canon–the snake in Genesis, for example.
Would that mean reading the Judeo-Christian bible leads to evil?

As for his belief about yoga…I don’t know anyone who “confuses” the well-being they feel doing the poses with “authentic consolations of the Holy Spirit.”
They ascribe the good feeling to the stretching of tight muscles and the peaceful atmosphere.
I’m wondering why he thought this. Did yoga devotees tell him this?

For those who do yoga for spirituality and religious reasons, if any do, that is part of their own religion that is different than his. So to say a practice of another faith–“Hinduism and all Eastern Religions”–leads to evil and is Satanic is…well…unwise, IMO.
If someone wrote that on this forum, they’d be breaking rules re respecting other religions, methinks.

The people he thought were possessed by demons did yoga?

DaddyGirl,
I don’t pride myself on being a keen observer but I like to observe, analyse, see dynamics etc. Some people just love to aggrandize things to get a captive audience. I suspect some of that is at play here. Also, there is a lovely expression in French that says ‘‘It’s very easy for someone who comes from far away to tell lies’’ What I mean by that is not necessarily that he told lies but that he could pretty much claim anything, and given his authority and the fact that you had to take his word for it, well, you had to take his word for it. I was a very naive boy, but the passage of time, a handful of bad knocks, and a love for (more like a visceral need for) truth, authenticity took away that naiveté. I had reservations about the man, but seeing Jimmy Akin (and other apologists) also shared those reservations have cemented them. But he’s a fellow human being, and as such I hope he’s finally at peace.

I once read a book called “The Rite: The Making of a Modern Exorcist” by journalist Matt Baglio, who in this book tracks down the training of Father Gary Thomas as he travels to Rome to learn how to be an exorcist. This book (well-written in my opinion) helped me learn about exorcisms. Granted, the last time I read this book was a couple of years ago, so my memory is fuzzy on this book, but if I recall correctly, a lot of people do have multiple exorcisms (and these exorcisms don’t tend to be that dramatic, although demons are capable of drama and drama can and does happen). Exorcisms aren’t a one-shot deal (Hollywood tends to make exorcisms more like “drive-through exorcisms”), which is how Fr. Amorth gets the 70,000 exorcisms figure.

Also, exorcisms are secondary to the conversion of the possessed person. What’s most important is that the possessed person comes back to the sacraments and starts focusing on God again; one has to make that commitment or else you’re just wasting your time with an exorcism (and exorcisms are sacramentals, not sacraments). That is why God permits the demonic possession, so that the possessed remembers how weak they truly are and how much they need to depend on God.

Now, about mental illnesses and exorcisms. From what I learned from “The Rite”, the exorcist is trained to be the ultimate skeptic, so an exorcist will have a medical team to try to figure out any natural causes.

I think my information is correct, but I’d like to double check on the info just to make sure it’s completely correct, since the last time I read the book was a couple of years ago. Alas, the “The Rite” e-book that my library offers has already been checked out, so I can’t give fully verify what I wrote yet. I’ll check back in once I have time and the e book is available, or if it’s available in your local library, check it out! It’s a great read! I hope this information helps!

I hear ya, FlaDreamer…and I’m in agreement on all.

DG

Groovy…I’d like to read more about it, but…I find it too disturbing.

I’m curious how he decides someone is “possessed” rather than mentally ill and having delusions, etc.

So the belief is that…an exorcism would *not *work on someone who is not Catholic?

Just a couple of points:

Mental illness is not an either/or situation. Complete treatment of the mentally ill should include both psychology and spiritual treatment for the afflicted.

Father Amorth counted all exorcisms to reach the high number. An individual may require a vast number of exorcisms before a successful end is achieved. He also exorcised objects and places. Some of these exorcisms were performed daily.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.