World Health Organization Urges Stronger Regulation of Electronic Cigarettes

PARIS — Governments should ban the use of electronic cigarettes indoors and in public places and tactics to lure young users, the World Health Organization said in a report released on Tuesday. It also raised concerns about the role of big tobacco companies in the fast-growing market.

Considering the numerous uncertainties surrounding e-cigarettes, which have been on the market for less than a decade, the United Nations organization said it was appropriate to prohibit their use indoors “until exhaled vapour is proven to be not harmful to bystanders.”

It also called for regulation to ensure the products contain a standard dose of nicotine, as the drug content now varies widely between manufacturers. And to stop children from picking up the habit, it said that e-cigarette sales to minors should be banned and that fruity, candy-type flavorings should be prohibited.

The report, which summarizes the growing body of evidence on the health impact of electronic cigarettes, was prepared by the World Health Organization for the United Nations Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, to be held in mid-October in Moscow. The organization has no power to enforce its recommendations, but delegates to the meeting could, in theory, endorse the measures for inclusion in a treaty or call for yet more studies before taking further action. One wild card hanging over the meeting is the tense political standoff between Russia and the West over the crisis in Ukraine, which could hamper international cooperation.

nytimes.com/2014/08/27/business/international/world-health-organization-urges-stronger-regulation-of-electronic-cigarettes.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimes

No surprise there.

I tend to agree. Not necessarily becuase they may cause harm by themselves but because it leads to a lifelong addiction and could very well lead to cigarettes. The younger you start using nicotine, the stronger the addiction so they absolutely should not sell or market to minors.

A “United Nations organization.” No wonder they want to regulate everything. Breathing in public may be next…

So one of the most addictive substance we know of (possibly the most addictive) shouldn’t be regulated? Companies will market this stuff to minors while treating it as if it’s harmless and it’s the UN we should be wary of?

I agree that we should regulate it when it comes to minors, but that’s it.

Taxing it more relative to other goods? No.

Banning their use indoors? Should be up to the private business.

Banning “fruity” flavors? No.

Regulating the dosage of nicotine? No.

Banning companies from advertising and selling to children and minors? Yes

I would imagine that they do need to be more strongly regulated. That said, a doctor told me a while back that while they are slightly safer than cigarettes, it’s probably only a very slight improvement in safety compared to cigarettes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.