World leaders pledge Iraq support

Thirty countries have pledged to help Iraq fight Islamic State (IS) militants “by all means necessary”.

A joint statement by foreign ministers taking part in a major conference in Paris talks said support would include “appropriate military assistance”.

The talks had been called to agree a strategy to combat the group, which controls large parts of Iraq and Syria.

The conference followed a whirlwind tour of the Middle East by US Secretary of State John Kerry.

Mr Kerry, who attended the summit, has been drumming up support for a plan of action unveiled by President Barack Obama last week.

The US strategy to weaken the group centres on military support for Iraq but also includes plans to stop foreign fighters from joining the group, cutting its funding streams and trying to counter its ideology.

The Paris conference was aimed at defining the role each member state will play.

About 40 countries have so far signed up to a coalition including 10 Arab states - Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and the United Arab Emirates.

Neither Iran nor Syria are being allowed to take part.

bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-29201317

France sends fighter jets for reconnaissance mission over Iraq

• Final statement cites readiness for military, other support

• Iran not attending after certain Arab states object

reuters.com/article/2014/09/15/iraq-crisis-france-idUSL6N0RG0SC20140915

Hmmm, did you see the video with Kerry and all the leaders? Who is the blonde woman he was flirting with? After that I forgot what was said. I have trouble listening to anything he says anyway. Should we be excited about the world pledge? Did Russia and China make a pledge?

But few specifics have been presented to flesh out this upbeat assessment in the scramble to craft a coherent plan from contributions offered by at least 40 countries worldwide in time for the UN General Assembly next week.

The cornerstone of the trip was a communique signed in Jeddah by 10 Arab governments agreeing to “do their share” in the comprehensive fight against Islamic State, including participation in a co-ordinated military campaign.

I posted this on another thread but I love this 1 minute clip from movie, Jerry McGuire “Show Me The Money”

youtube.com/watch?v=OaiSHcHM0PA

The conference participants (Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, China, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, France, Germany, Iraq, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, the Netherlands, Norway, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Arab League, European Union, United Nations) expressed their commitment to the unity, territorial integrity and sovereignty of Iraq.

They welcomed the formation of a new government under the authority of the Prime Minister, Mr Haïdar al-Abadi, and offered him their full support to strengthen the rule of law, implement a policy of inclusiveness, and ensure that all components are fairly represented within the federal institutions and all citizens are treated equally. All of these measures are necessary in order to successfully combat Daech (ISIL) and terrorist groups, which represent a threat to all Iraqis.

1. All participants underscored the urgent need to remove Daech (ISIL) from the regions in which it has established itself in Iraq. To that end, they committed to supporting the new Iraqi Government in its fight against Daech (ISIL), by any means necessary, including appropriate military assistance, in line with the needs expressed by the Iraqi authorities, in accordance with international law and without jeopardizing civilian security.

2. The conference participants also reaffirmed their commitment to the relevant resolutions of the United Nations Security Council on the fight against terrorism and its sources of recruitment and financing, in particular Resolution 2170. They will make sure that this resolution is correctly implemented and will take the necessary measures to ensure it has all the intended effects. They firmly believe that resolute action is necessary to eradicate Daech (ISIL), particularly measures to prevent radicalization, coordination between all security services and stricter border control. They welcomed the prospect of working on an action plan to combat terrorist financing.

3. Reiterating their support for the Iraqi Government, the international partners recalled the need to support the Iraqi people’s desire for human rights to be observed in a federal framework that respects the constitution, regional rights and national unity.

4. They recognized the role played by the United Nations in Iraq, particularly in coordinating and facilitating international assistance to the Iraqi Government. The conference participants also recognized that the Arab League and the European Union are essential long-term strategic partners for Iraq. They also welcomed the results of the Jeddah conference of September 11, 2014.

5. The conference participants agreed to continue and increase, depending on changes in the situation on the ground, the provision of emergency humanitarian assistance to the Iraqi Government and local authorities, in order to help them accommodate and assist refugees and displaced persons, who should be able to return to their homes safely.

6. The international partners declared that they were willing to assist Iraq in its reconstruction work, with the aim of achieving fair regional development, in particular by providing expertise, know-how and appropriate financial support, through, for example, specific global fund to help reconstruction of areas devastated by Daech (ISIL).

7. The international partners agreed to remain fully mobilized in their support for the Iraqi authorities and in the fight against Daech (ISIL). They will ensure that the commitments made today are implemented and followed up on, notably in the framework of the United Nations and during the high-level meetings that will be held alongside the United Nations General Assembly.

diplomatie.gouv.fr/en/country-files/iraq-304/events-2526/article/international-conference-on-peace

implement a policy of inclusiveness, and ensure that all components are fairly represented within the federal institutions and all citizens are treated equally.

I’m enthusiastically following the progress, and how the above itself is applied here in the state’s with equal rights and extremist groups. :thumbsup:

Combat troops will absolutely be necessary in order to remove ISIS from Iraq, Syria or both. The question is who will provide them.

Of the Arab states, one suspects only Egypt has a military capable of acquiting itself well, but Egypt, like the other Arab states, also has the enemy within its own borders and in significant numbers, so can it provide troops? One has serious reservations about that.

It seems there are “two tiers” here. One is the group that’s willing to actually support the effort with “whatever it takes”. The other is the group that simply supports the idea of Iraqi territorial integrity, fair government, etc.

:thumbsup:

reuters.com/article/2014/09/15/us-iraq-crisis-mosul-idUSKBN0HA1S720140915

Here’s a must read from Joshua Landis in todays Al Jazeera Why Syria is the Gordian knot of Obama’s anti-ISIL campaign america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/9/15/why-syria-is-thegordianknotofobamasantiisilcampaign.html

The story appears to be well sourced and I really think this little tidbit below speaks volumes 
                                  U.S. intelligence estimates that Syrian rebels are organized into more than 1,500 groups of widely varying political leanings. They control a little less than 20 percent of Syrian territory. Those designated as moderate rebel forces control less than 5 percent of Syria. To arm and fund them without first unifying them under a single military and political command would be to condemn Syria to rebel chaos.

I'd say an open admission that the so called moderates control less than 5 pct of Syria pretty much proves the point that the opposition in Syria is dominated by Sunni extremists.

Didn’t Australia say that they would send ground troops?

yes, 600

The goal that Obama stated was not the overthrow of the Assad regime, but making ISIS ineffective. So it might not matter that there are 1,500 rebel groups in Syria (albeit most of those are extremely small.)

I think some 5-10 thousand troops need to be sent there and combat these guys in the ground. But they need to be bombarded constantly not just 5 or 6 bombs. They need to show the other extremists that this is not a game. And for the Arabs to see, that they better become more moderate and not extremists.

I think the Arab countries need to lead the charge. I think people are worried that the Arab countries will turn their back on the US and the allies. That’s why I think these guys nee to lead the charge.

Probably the sentiment is shared. I suspect the Arab countries are concerned that they will stick their necks out and find that they are without adequate U.S. support if they do it.

It’s a very reasonable concern on their part, considering this administration’s record in Iraq so far.

I don’t think Arab countries really want Assad to win in Syria nor do they want Iraq to be another Iranian pawn. They are willing to tolerate a Sunni/Shiite/Kurd run Iraq, but not for a Shia only run Iraq.

ISIS isn’t yet a threat to Sunni countries in the region and until it is, they will be reluctant allies in all this.

Originally Posted **by chero23 **
Didn’t Australia say that they would send ground troops?

Originally posted by** gillian**
yes, 600

Sounds right, about the same small number of combat soldiers that these countries sent to the Iraq War.

US only has 1400 and is projected to cap it at 5,000.

I know but they need to show that they are concerned about the area and that they know the threat ISIS is causing. People have said that the Arabs need to control the area, and I think that’s true.

Does anyone believe it will cap at 5000? It will be mainly our troops and totally our military funding this effort. It is foolish to believe that international community (UN) is funding this war.

originally posted by Ridgerunner
It seems there are “two tiers” here. One is the group that’s willing to actually support the effort with “whatever it takes”. The other is the group that simply supports the idea of Iraqi territorial integrity, fair government, etc.

Can’t say it better.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.