World must act on North Korea rights abuse, says UN report

“At the end of the Second World War so many people said ‘if only we had known… if only we had known the wrongs that were done in the countries of the hostile forces’,” he said.

“Well, now the international community does know… There will be no excusing of failure of action because we didn’t know.”

“Too many times in this building there are reports and no action. Well this is a time for action.”

bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-26220304

You get the money and the guns and we’ll
go over there and do something about it.

Otherwise just pray harder.

This reminds me of that Rambo (2008) movie.

The only thing that will cause any changes in NoKo is to put serious heat on China. NoKo is China’s doppelganger.

I don’t think we can do anything effective with North Korea. The US and the rest of the world is held hostage by a nutty regime a and child-leader who spends his days getting drunk and ordering people killed.

This is one of the dilemmas of international power–to intervene or not to intervene? To intervene in this particular case would be to resume the Korean War, which has never officially ended. And to resume the Korean War would be to resume war with China, North Korea’s ally, unless China elected to toss it’s puppet aside. Nations could assign sanctions, but sanctions usually end up hurting the vast majority of the already oppressed populace.

What’s needed is a (non-Communist) coup. But that’s highly unlikely in a nation as forcibly controlled as North Korea. And even if there were a successful coup, perhaps by a contingent who wished reunion with South Korea, would China stand by and let it happen?

As for the U.N., it has no authority, no credibility, no power, and is all but useless.

NK is a nuclear armed state and there is nothing we can do without turning S. Korea into a nuclear holocaust.

This is me, not holding my breath.

This is true.

Yet I bet Beijing is probably pleased some UN report recommended the Hague. They know the US is involved with the ICC as much as they are. (Any real talk in the security council to debate potential use of military assets used in that region is what gets China heated.)

BEIJING: China said on Monday it would oppose any move at the United Nations to refer North Korea’s leadership to the International Criminal Court (ICC) for alleged crimes against humanity.

In an unprecedented move, according to leaked reports, a three-member UN panel will later on Monday recommend the referral of North Korea to the ICC in the Hague.

“I myself haven’t seen the report, but our relevant position is clear-cut on this: issues concerning human rights should be solved through constructive dialogue on an equal footing,” Chinese foreign ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying told reporters in Beijing

channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/china-rejects-sending-n/1001036.html

Sure there is. We could nuke NoKo from submarines with no warning at all; frying their nuclear and conventional capability without doing all that much to SoKo. But that isn’t going to happen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.