Worlds last chance. They done their homeowork

Worlds last chance seem to have done their homework. I do not have access to the catholic encyclopedia so cannot challenge their view, anyone else know?

It is reproduced below:

okay . . . .

I would like to make something clear: we used to be Seventh Day Adventists but we are no longer members of the SDA Church. The reason for this is because their teachings have started to contradict the original teachings it was founded upon, and we have chosen to stay true to the word of God.

Now, we still believe in the writings of Ellen G. White for several reasons, the main reason being that her writings have not contradicted the word of God. We hold the Bible above all outside writings,

I am interested to hear an apologist reply to this

(Edited and posts merged by Moderator to comply with Forum Rules and Banned Topics Policy)

The information you have read on our website about the next and last pope is** the most accurate interpretation of Revelation 17 that we have come across.** After studying this and making sure that all the points of interpretation were taken from the Bible, we posted it on the website. who read the article and who contact us to study this very important issue for themselves, according to the Bible, and to point out a segment of interWe strongly encourage thosepretation that is not consistent with the Bible.

“According to Rom., xiii, 11 sqq., the secular authorities have the right to punish, especially grave crimes, with death; consequently, ‘heretics may be no only excommunicated, but also justly (juste) put to death.’” –The Catholic Encyclopedia, 1911 edition, Vol. 14, pages 766, 768 [Emphasis Supplied]. After reading the above, **it is would be no surprise if the Catholic Church resumed these statements and put them into effect if it has the secular power to do so. **

The source is worldslastchance.com/bible_readings.php

There are aspects of this that I think are very offensive but it is being targeted to people who have not illicited it. I have received numerous copies to my email. It is truely disturbing. But I think it needs to be challenged

A list of New Testament passages that show why Christians worship on Sunday.

1. Matthew 28:1 And in the end of the sabbath, when it began to dawn towards the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalen and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre.

2. Mark 16:2 And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they come to the sepulchre, the sun being now risen.

3. Mark 16:9 But he rising early the first day of the week, appeared first to Mary Magdalen, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

4. Luke 24:1 And on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came to the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared.

5. John 20:1 And on the first day of the week, Mary Magdalen cometh early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre; and she saw the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

6. John 20:19 Now when it was late that same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them: Peace be to you.

7. Acts Of Apostles 20:7 And on the first day of the week, when we were assembled to break bread, Paul discoursed with them, being to depart on the morrow: and he continued his speech until midnight.

8. 1st Corinthians 16:2 On the first day of the week let every one of you put apart with himself, laying up what it shall well please him; that when I come, the collections be not then to be made.

9. Revelation 1:10 I was in the spirit on the Lord’s day, and heard behind me a great voice, as of a trumpet,

Have they done their homework? Well, I’m sure they think so … but I don’t think it’ll make the grade. This came from them -

**Bible Prophecy Reveals
**Next And Last Pope
Will Be A
Devil Impersonating John Paul II

So … B16 is actuallyJPII, who is actually the Devil?

Riiiiight …I guess this theory, or sorry, ‘prophesy’ will be shot when we get another pope.

I believe the forum rules or the banned topics list prohibit the posting of links to a-C sites. So one would wonder how long this thread survives.

If you wish a refutation, you should link only to the single article that you wish to deal with, not the entire site. Consult the Forum Rules and Banned Topics Policy for clarification, or contact me via PM.
MF

(Edited and posts merged by Moderator to comply with Forum Rules and Banned Topics Policy)

Please accept my apologies. It was not my intention to ‘not observe forum rules’ on the contrary, my hope that apologists could challenge these allegations.

I personally find them not only offensive but disturbing that a group could be so damning towards Christ’s Holy Church.

For the passage containing the words “the secular authorities have the right to punish, especially grave crimes, with death”, go to newadvent.org/cathen/14763a.htm - section (3)

The passage quoted by the SDA source - which I couldn’t find at the link - has been taken out of context. This is not upright dealing on their part. The paragraph ends:

Catholics have, of course, no desire for the return of an age whose liberal, and in many respects admirable, state institutions were greatly marred by sinister penal ordinances.”

• which the SDA quotation did not include; it would have spoiled the picture of a Catholic Church thirsting to shed blood.

As for Revelation 17, it does not point to the CC - or rather, it does so only if one ignores various details in the text. The equation “Catholic Church” = “Babylon the Great” is a misconception which was understandable once, but is utterly baseless. The phrase about “the blood of the martyrs”, taken with similar language in Matthew 24, points to BtG = Jerusalem - especially in view of John’s fondness for Ezekiel, who represented Jerusalem as a harlot. Ge in Rev. 17 is translated “earth” - it can also mean “land”, as in “land of Israel”; it need not mean “entire earth”.

Hope that helps ##

I once sat down with a copy of The Great Controversy and a red pen and began to underline and note the margins where I found unsubstantiated statements (AKA Propaganda), outright lies and misrepresentations of Catholic teaching, and just plain unscriptural statements and proof texts that conflicted with other scriptures.

I gave up and threw it in a nearby trash can after filling the margins for the first 5 chapters with red ink. You can find it online (I just did) On one SDA site they say at the top. “You can try to shoot it full of holes but it’s STILL the truth!”, which is about standard for SDA propaganda because even when their stuff is refuted by the Word of God and historical fact, they just blow it off and reiterate the propaganda.

Isn’t there a saying, “If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it.” Oh…yeah…here it is. Author: Joseph Goebbels

We believe that the Church is the Body of Christ, and thus more than an institution, like a political party or pressure group, that is useful only in so far as it serves the cause it was designed to promote.

Now I am not very familiar with the teachings of Ellen G. White, but I happy to take your word for it that nothing she said contradicted the word of God. If she gave a message for the Church, then the correct thing to do is to take it to an appropriate person in the church, such as the bishop of the city where she lived, and submit it for discernment. If the message wasn’t for the Church then it may be good or true or useful - I would say that my message on “Ten Rules of Programming” is good and true and useful, for instance - but it is not for the Church and so of no interest to us as members.

All writings, including those of Ellen G. White, are open to interpretation. So it is not sufficient to say “these writings are good, true and useful an so we will accept them as Church documents”. You would soon get a plethora of churches, some saying that Ellen G. White was literally true, some saying that she spoke metaphorically, some saying that the original teachings have been contradicted. That’s why the Church authorities must set parameters within which the material must be interpreted.

Thank you for your contributions thus far. But lets have more of them

God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.