World's worst logo

The logo for the London 20012 Olympics has to be just about the worst I have ever seen:

http://main.london2012.com/NR/rdonlyres/F046B7A9-B67E-40BF-9A81-9AEB5DEC3C17/0/newbrand_contextualresourceii.jpg

To me it looks like something that has collapsed – perhaps bombed?
To top it all off the there are reports the the animated version is causing people to have seizures.

Nothing beats the Lucent swirl or the Dreamcast logo.

I agree that the 2012 logo looks like broken chunks of buildings. I think its pretty ugly.

Although to be fair to the designers, they did pull the seizure-inducing animation. And apparently the 2012 logo is supposed to evolve with images and messages infilling those red chunks.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/06/10/nlogo210.xml

The Nike symbol. To me it has nothing to do with shoes.

:rotfl: Are you serious? This is too funny to be for real! They need to fire the guy who came up with that and open up the logo contest to the area elementary schools :smiley:

ETA:
I watched the animated, seizure-causing version on youtube: (youtube.com/watch?v=8aysQbw_Xh8 if anyone is curious and willing to take the risk ;)). The reporter was saying something like this: “London’s logo isn’t just a picture on a badge but a moving image, and when we showed that to people, we got quite a different reaction.” :rotfl: They meant that people liked the moving version better than the still image, but after what we now know about the epilepsy… :rotfl:

Well, I took the dare (I’m epileptic) – no seizures but almost instant headache.

For comparison here are some recent Olympic logos:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/47/200px-2002_Winter_Olympics_logo.png

http://img.search.com/thumb/8/82/Athens_2004_logo.jpg/180px-Athens_2004_logo.jpg
Now that is class!!

And looking forward:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/d3/200px-2010_Winter_Olympics_logo.png

To me that looks like a goalie in all his protective gear – whether that’s what the artist intended? Anyway, it says “Vancouver” better than the pink rubble says “London”.

Somebody mentioned Nike’s logo. I think the “swoosh” is supposed to suggest motion.

This is where I disagree. While it has nothing to do with sneakers, the simple symbol is readily identified as Nike. Everyone knows the Nike logo.

That’s branding at it’s best.

I’m not a graphic artist but it seems like the blocks represent countries - which are definitely not united at all. It also has that edgy look and feel when these games are thousands of years old and from a classical roman time - how about some nice columns and such.

Stick witht the classic please - give me the rings.

This logo may hurt the t-shirt sales don’t you think?

And only $800,000 later. . . . .

I hope they’re working on a new logo.

Doesn’t anyone else see any Nazi influence here? Maybe it’s just me.

The figure on the Toronto 2010 flag is officially named Ilaanaq the Inukshuk.. “Ilaanaq” is the Inuktitut word for friend, with Inuktitut being the language of the Inuit, the native people to the arctic regions of Canada. Inukshuk are cairns which served as directional markers in the arctic, but the designer of the Toronto Olympics logo may have been inspired by one particular inukshuk which made the cover of a Rush album.

Actually, it did occur that the zig-zags look like the arms broken off a swastika but I didn’t want to mention it first.

Very interesting, thanks for the info.

The figure on the Toronto 2010 flag is officially named Ilaanaq the Inukshuk… “Ilaanaq” is the Inuktitut word for friend, with Inuktitut being the language of the Inuit, the native people to the arctic regions of Canada. Inukshuk are cairns which served as directional markers in the arctic, but the designer of the Toronto Olympics logo may have been inspired by one particular inukshuk which made the cover of a Rush album.

I thought it looked familiar. I didn’t make the connection of Canada and Rush at the moment. Man would it be awesome if they had Rush play the opening of the Canada games in 2010. I might actually go to them since they won’t be that far away. I love the Winter Olympics. Curling all the way:D

I thought the exact same thing. Big surprise, given my login. :smiley:

I agree that, given recent history of Olympic logos, that London one’s pretty bad.

A popular logo from a locally-based company is actually quite confusing to me:

Try as I might, all I can see is the letter “H”. (It’s a U superimposed with an A.)

And my nominee for Logo That Should Have Been Redone Years Ago:

The Nike logo is supposed to represent the wings on the figure of the Greek goddess Nike

theoi.com/image/S29.2Nike.jpg

I’m surprised none of you know this but the 2012 logo is based upon the numbers 2012 ! rather simple i must say and i think its a great design ! it may not be relevant to london, england, or the uk, but why should it be ?

Actually, it is possible to know that fact and yet still dislike the logo.
It really is ugly and lacks the cleverness of the famous “I love New York” logo from the 1970s.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/52/Ilovenewyork.jpg/225px-Ilovenewyork.jpg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.