Worldwide Church of God?

Anyone a former member of this group? Are they Christian or ?
I had a neighbor once who was a member and she observed Old testament food laws.

One of my best friends grew up in the World Wide Church of God. When we met, I had just come out of the Jehovah’s Witnesses and it was interesting to see how similar our views were: No trinity - Christian church fell into apostasy shortly after the disciples - no Christian holidays like Christmas or Easter - communion only once a year - good works & keeping of many rules (laws). And you’re right… she kept the Jewish Holy Days.

About 15 or so years ago the WWCoG went through a major change where the leaders recognized that they had been wrong all those years… that Jesus was God and that one is saved by putting their trust in Him… The religion became much more mainstream Evangelical and lost roughly 1/2 of it’s memebers who disagreed with the changes.

My friend says that in retrospect, she was not a Christian under the old WWCoG - but that she is a Christain now & attends a local Evangelical Church. Sadly, all of her family pretty much gave up on religion after the big change.

wcg.org/lit/booklets/truth/default.htm
pfo.org/transfor.htm
wcg.org/lit/aboutus/beliefs/default.htm
wcg.org/lit/AboutUs/history.htm

thanks for the info. interesting. and I say prayers of thanksgiving that I was born into a RC family.

[quote=carol marie]One of my best friends grew up in the World Wide Church of God. When we met, I had just come out of the Jehovah’s Witnesses and it was interesting to see how similar our views were: No trinity - Christian church fell into apostasy shortly after the disciples - no Christian holidays like Christmas or Easter - communion only once a year - good works & keeping of many rules (laws). And you’re right… she kept the Jewish Holy Days.

About 15 or so years ago the WWCoG went through a major change where the leaders recognized that they had been wrong all those years… that Jesus was God and that one is saved by putting their trust in Him… The religion became much more mainstream Evangelical and lost roughly 1/2 of it’s memebers who disagreed with the changes.

My friend says that in retrospect, she was not a Christian under the old WWCoG - but that she is a Christain now & attends a local Evangelical Church. Sadly, all of her family pretty much gave up on religion after the big change.
[/quote]

The WWCoG did finally admit that Jesus was Saviour BUT still has not recognized the Holy Spirit as God. They believe that the Holy Spirit is the product of the Father but not a person like the Son.

The members who still buy the old Armstrong heresies are not Christians, they are cultists.

These people beleive all kinds of odd things, that God is a “family” and they will be “gods” themselves after they die. They beleive that English people and Americans are the real Jews. They believe the Holy Spirit is a fprce not a person, they are an odd mixture of Jewish and Christian, and they keep the Jewish holidays of the Old Testament and tell all kinds of lies about the Christian calander. They think we worship Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, and all kinds of pagan “gods”.

There are still a lot of people who did not become Christians, byt hung on to the old Armstrong cultism, they split into dozens of competeing subcults. If you find people who insist on celebrating the Old Testament Jewish holidays as “God’s” holidays, or the “Holidays of the Bible”, you are probably talking to an Armstronger.

Many members who hold to armstrongism left the WWCOG to form new groups or join existing splinter groups.

Association for Scriptural Knowledge (E. Martin) 1984
Original Bible Project (E. Martin, J. Tabor & R. Kuhn) 1992
The Association for Biblical Christians (Dallas James) 1992
Family of God (John Shirn) 1983
Bible Study Association (Davis Northnagel) 1980
Universal Church of God (Ray Lampley) 1975
Emissary Publications (Des Griffen) 1975
Religion in the News (William Hinson) 1975
Liberty Foundation (Al Carrozzo) 1975
Seek and Find Ministries of the Church of El Shaddai (Ray Stapleton) 1976
Church of God Churchlight Publishing Association (Jack Hines) 1978
Family Church of God (Rick Gipe) 1978
Mystery of the Kingdom Ministry (Martin Muzynoski) 1978
Church of God International (Garner Ted Armstrong) 1978
Assembly of God in Christ Jesus (Bill Phillips)
Disciples Church of God (Clyde Holman)
Church of the Savior at Cincinnati (Cliff Robertson)
The Pure Truth (Richard Scott) 1979
Church of God Evangelical Association (Dave Smith) 1980
Church of God Oklahoma (John Tresscott) 1986
Church of God Denton Congregation (Austin Newell) 1985
Sabbatarian Christian Fellowship (P. Frick & V. Lyle) 1992
United Biblical Church of God (C. Patton & C. Kimbrough) 1987
Church of God of Jessamine (Doug Young) 1988
The Berean Church of God (Clarence Lucas) 1989
Evangelical Church of Christ (G. Russel & C. Foland) 1989
Cornerstone Publications (James Rector) 1990
Alpha & Omega Christian Foundation (Grigore Sbarcea) 1990
Euclid Bible Publications (Gary Jordal) 1990
Family Church of God (Bill Young) 1991
Community Church of God (Thad Miller) 1992
Congregation of God Seventh Day Association (John Pinkston) 1992
Talent Ministries (Ted Phillips) 1992
Church of God Fellowship (Paul Bell) 1993
The Fellowship Church of God (Les Pope) 1993
Unity Christian Fellowship (Paul Haney) 1995
Christian Educational Ministries (Ron Dart & Larry Watkins) 1995
Church of God Messengers (Gordon Weisler) 1979
United Church of God (Richard Prince) 1979
Christian Church of God (Neville Gilbert) 1979
Biblical Church of God (Fred Coulter) 1979
Scriptural Church of God (Keith Hunt) 1981
Christian Biblical Church of God (Fred Coulter) 1982
Christian Church of God (Jeff Booth) 1980
Church of God Within (Tony Badillo) 1980
The House of YAHWEH (Yisrael Hawkins) 1980
Dallas Congregation of the Almighty (Herb Solinsky) 1981
Church of God Kelowna (Hans Norel)
Transworld Publishing (Bernard Kelly) 1983
Universal Church of God (Harold Hemenway) 1985
Church of God Philadelphian Era (Martin Fillepello) 1987
Triumph Prophetic Ministries (William Dankenbring) 1987
Patriots of the Kingdom (Myron Martin) 1995
Philadelphia Church of God (Gerald Flurry) 1989
The Scattered Brethren (Lawrence Maayeh)
Twentieth Century Church of God (C. Ken Rockwell) 1990
Church of God of the Firstfruits (Frank Hassinger) 1991
Church of God Philadelphia Era (David Fraser) 1991
Church of the Great God (John Ritenbaugh) 1991
Church of God in Truth (J. Russell & D. Baker) 1993
The Everlasting Church of God (Robert Collins) 1991
Global Church of God (Rod Meredith & Raymond McNair) 1992
Church of God (Allen Cain) 1994
Pathway (Malcolm Crawford) 1994
Bible Education Services (Don Hudgel) 1992
Midnight Ministries (Malcom Heap) 1992
Commonwealth Publishing (K. Gearhart & D. Conder) 1993
Church of God in the Netherlands - New Moon Seventh Day (B. Otten & B. Rook) 1993
Reformed and Reorganized Worldwide Church of God (Don Gerlach) 1993
United Church of God (David Hulme, Denny Luker, Vic Kubik & Ray Wooten) 1995
United Church of God, Birmingham (Ray Wooten) 1995
Orlando Church of God (Rob Elliott) 1995
New Mexico Regional Church of God (Lon Lacey) 1996
Christ’s Church of Grace (Earl Williams) 1995
Friends of the Brethren (Norm Edwards) 1995
Worldwide Church of God Texas (C. Crow, W. Crow & H. Caudle) 1995
Barnabas Ministries (Alan Ruth) 1996

watch.pair.com/wcg-org.splits.htm

cephasministry.com/index_world_wide_church_of_god.html

watchman.org/profile/pcgpro.htm

cephas-library.com/worldwidechurchofgod/worldwidechurchofgod_church_of_god_international.html

ctlibrary.com/ct/1998/march2/8t374b.html

Wow. That is some list. And people question the accuracy of 30,000 Protestant denominations?

Beyond words! And in time splinter groups off the splinter groups. And Garner Ted Armstrong, Herbert Armstrong’s son started his own church also?

that is not the full list, the 5,000 word limit made me truncate it, so follow the link for the full list. When dealing with us protestants, it is well advised not to confuse us with the cults like armstrong, JWs etcs.

Also, check out this chart of roots for wwcg.

http://www.wcg.org/lit/AboutUs/chart1.gif

wcg.org/lit/AboutUs/roots.htm

[quote=Daniel Marsh]that is not the full list, the 5,000 word limit made me truncate it, so follow the link for the full list. When dealing with us protestants, it is well advised not to confuse us with the cults like armstrong, JWs etcs.

Also, check out this chart of roots for wwcg.

http://www.wcg.org/lit/AboutUs/chart1.gif

wcg.org/lit/AboutUs/roots.htm
[/quote]

Thats some timeline. I wonder what that timeline looks like from 33 to 1639.

I hear that Ron Rhodes has published, The Complete Guide To Christian Denominations Has anyone seen it? I wonder what number he came up with.

For the pre-reformation time line, include each of the heritics, like arianism, sabellism, etc But place those lines in Red for false doctrine, For groups similiar to catholic church use Blue for true Blue, we would have orthodox, coptic, regional rites. I am sure besides the cults, hertics, that chart would be quite simple in comparison. As I understand it, there were four major “churches”, not sure of word to use here, sees?.

Maybe you guys need to create Mormon Like flip charts of timelines for Denominations.

bump

I grew up in the WWCG. :frowning:
After the slit a few years ago, my parents divorced after 42 years of marriage. My dad went with Gerald Flurry who is every bit as evil as Herbert W. Armstrong. My mom still hasn’t found her place. Attends a local church weekly but hasn’t joined. When she visits me, she’ll go to Mass with my family. Of my 7 brothers and sisters, 1 is now atheist, 1 is agnostic, 2 are Christian and the rest do not even discuss their faith.

WWCG hurt a lot of families. They did some really bad stuff.

A sad tragedy. I feel for your family. Prayers will be offered at mass for you.

Subrosa

It is interesting that you would call the Coptic Church as similar to Catholic when it is a Monophysite Church. They do not accept the two natures as defined at the Council of Chalcedon. My understanding is that they believe in Christ 2 natures, divine and human, were combined into one nature. I am not condemning them, just pointing out that they are not similar to the Catholic Church in that way.

copticchurch.net/topics/theology/nature_of_christ.pdf

Hi
I thought that the Christians had only 3000+ denominations, if the protestants have 30,000 denominations, what would be the total?
How the differences would be resolved to make a Untited Christendom? Any idea?
Thanks

Sy- you need to research a bit more. The monphysites have met with the Holy See and have come to an understanding. This happened only recently.

I’d look it up but I gotta go. Sorry.

Sub

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.