Worldwide Poll Finds Strong Support for Right to Criticize Religion

A survey of 20 nations has found strong support for the right to criticize religion.

According to the survey of more than 18,000 people, 57 percent agreed that “people should be allowed to publicly criticize religion because people should have freedom of speech.” Meanwhile, 34 percent of all respondents said they supported the right of governments "to fine or imprison people who publicly criticize a religion because such criticism could defame the religion.”

The strongest support for the right to criticize religion came from the United States, where 89 percent said public criticism should be allowed, followed by Chile (82 percent)m and Mexico (81 percent). Britain came fourth, with 81 percent supporting the right to criticize religion.

The seven nations with a majority of support for prohibitions on the right to criticize religion, meanwhile, had overwhelmingly Muslim populations. In Egypt, 71 percent agreed that criticism of religion should be prohibited, followed by Pakistan (62 percent), and Iraq (57 percent).

The poll, conducted by WorldPublicOpinion.org, was released Monday as the U.N. General Assembly prepared to debate a proposal calling for the prohibition of the defamation of religions.

Read more: christianpost.com/article/20091123/poll-finds-strong-support-for-right-to-criticise-religion/index.html

[quote="lemonbeam, post:1, topic:178031"]
Read more:
Christian Post -
Worldwide poll finds strong support for the Right to Criticize Religion

[/quote]

Lemonbeam:

Please understand the UNGA Resolution is being pushed by Islamic Governments who regard many of the things we say and do to be insult to Islam and to Mohammed. We need to remember the RIOTS and MURDERS that occurred after publication the Danish Cartons, the Fatwa (Death Sentence) on Salmon Rushdie and the Murder of Theo van Gogh (He dared to make a film that was critical of Islam). We need to remember the Fatwa on the Pope (Regensburg Speech) and the execution of the TAC Bishop of Pakistan (reported to me by Archbishop Hebworth) by Pakistani Authorities for making public displays of Christianity, accepting Muslims converts Christianity and refusing to say the Islamic "Profession of Faith". and, We need to remember Sharia's Requirement that all of those who do not convert to Islam make NO Public display of their religion, NO effort to convert Muslims (even within families) & always live & walk BELOW Muslims (see Robert Spencer's book Religion of Peace?).
If this passes, telling the simple truth that most terrorists are Muslims would not only be illegal, but could be a capitol offense. The US Constitution and the UN Declaration on Human rights guarantees Freedom of Religion, but no reasonable person has ever suggested that religions (or those of us who are try to practice them) should be exempt from public or private criticism - Often, That's how we find out that we're screwing up.

We've all been told how wonderful it was for Jews and Christians under Islamic Rule. We've heard that from Muslim apologists in the Media and in our University. I guess they never heard about the events described in this article:

[size=4]Maimonides and the "Meshugga" Prophet
[/size][INDENT]Remember, my co-religionists, that on account of the vast number of our sins, God has hurled us in the midst of this people, the Arabs, who have persecuted us severely, and passed baneful and discriminatory legislation against us, as Scripture has forewarned us, ‘Our enemies themselves shall judge us’ (Deuteronomy 32:31). Never did a nation molest, degrade, debase and hate us as much as they …. Although we were dishonored by them beyond human endurance, and had to put with their fabrications, yet we behaved like him who is depicted by the inspired writer, “But I am as a deaf man, I hear not, and I am as a dumb man that openeth not his mouth.” (Psalms 38:14). **Similarly our sages instructed us to bear the prevarications and preposterousness of Ishmael in silence.* They found a cryptic allusion for this attitude in the names of his sons “Mishma, Dumah, and Massa” (Genesis 25:14), which was interpreted to mean, “Listen, be silent, and endure.” (Targum Pseudo-Jonathan, ad locum). We have acquiesced, both old and young, to inure ourselves to humiliation, as Isaiah instructed us “I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair.” (50:6). All this notwithstanding, we do not escape this continued maltreatment which well nigh crushes us. No matter how much we suffer and elect to remain at peace with them, they stir up strife and sedition, as David predicted, “I am all peace, but when I speak, they are for war.” (Psalms 120:7). If, therefore, we start trouble and claim power from them absurdly and preposterously we certainly give ourselves up to destruction.”*
[/INDENT]freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/1953778/posts

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Another thing we all should know - According to Islam, The Murder of a Muslim by a Non-Muslim is punishable by Death - Always. OTOH, the murder of a Non-Muslim by a Muslim is NEVER to be considered to be a Capitol Offense or one worthy of either the Death Penalty or Life Imprisonment. That's the opinion of all major schools within Islam, and they're interpreting the Q'uran and Hadiths (Sayings and doings of Mohammed). The gates of Itjihad, of independent interpretation or logical development of doctrine have been closed since the 8th Century. Avicenna & Averroes were both considered to be heretics or apostates by end of their lives and have been considered to be so by most muslms ever since...

Your Brother & Servant in Christ, Michael[/FONT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.