Worried about someone being satanist

I am worried that someone I know may be in a satanic cult. I first suspected when I saw him doing this hand sign to his friends and during a speech he was giving. Here is a picture of it. http://www.exposingsatanism.org/images/symbols/satanicsalute2.jpg . Everywhere I research on it I see that it says it satanic or a sign between members of the occult: exposingsatanism.org/signsymbols.htm . Also, he is in these clubs that use skulls as symbols and they perform occult rituals where they dress up in hooded costumes and do mock human ritual sacrifices. In one, they dance around a statue of a beast name Molek. I did some research on it and found lots of evil reference to this molek in the bible: bible.gen.nz/amos/culture/molek.htm .
See the thing is, he claims he is a Christian and he is pro life and stuff. I am worried that he may not actually be Christian though. When asked about the hand sign he said it’s a sign for a sports team. When questioned about the clubs he states that they are a secret and he cant talk about it but there is nothing evil about them. He wont say anything more than that. He just chuckles it off as if I am being silly. What should I think? Should I do or say anything?

haha thats the sign for the rams!

And he may be being evasive to your question becuase its silly.

If he’s really into something serious, and seriously believed it, I doubt he’d go around flashing hand signs

ROCK N ROLL DUDE!

I’ve always associated that with rock concerts.
Then gangsta’s started using it.
I’ve always heard that Gene Simmons from KISS started it in the '70s, but then read somewhere that it really was John Lennon in 1967 with Yellow Submarine.

The hand sign doesn’t seem to be cause for concern. However, what would concern me would be his possible involvement in a mock human sacrifice. Maybe that’s not what’s really going on, or maybe he doesn’t understand the implications of such an activity. Since he’s not open to discussing this with you, your best option is to cover him in prayer. He is lucky to have a friend who is concerned with his soul’s well-being :slight_smile:

That is also the handsign for a university in Austin, Texas that won the 2005 NCAA Football Championship.

when he said the hand sign for a sport team, he might refer to the Long Horn - University of Texas sport teams.

For the club thing, it does not sound right to me. We are not sure what his club is doing, but you can always invite him to mass.

What was his speech about? When was it given (was it the weekend of a big game?) Is he a sports fan? Of what team?

Has he ever given the impression that he isn’t a Christian through his words or deeds?
The truth is it IS a symbol for a sports team! I wouldn’t be worried unless you start noticing his words or deeds being un-Christian… :slight_smile:

if someone made that gesture down here he would be classified as a Texas fan, and other than enraging some Aggies fans, would not pose a problem.

I think the OP is about to set up George Bush. “Skull and Bones” is the secret club and he did that hand sign during a speech once (related to a sports team).

The sign is laughable and it seems that some who have given thier responses cannot get pat its silliness, That being said it is the rest of your post that would concern me. In the past the sign has been used to symbolize a goat image of satanism. But the real problem is the reference to Molek and the cults you claim he is in. If they are secret then how do you know what goes on there or is it all just rumor, remember anti semites used to claim that Jews drank infants blood in thier “secret meetings” If he confirms that that is what happens then you deffinately have a satanic problem. But most likely you just need to be the light of Christ to the person and maybe just maybe he will become part of our “cult”

OK, forget about the hand signals and just focus on his involvement with this club. I know about the mock sacrifice through several people who actually witnessed it being done out in the woods around a statue with chanting in hooded gowns. Screaming and setting afire what seemed to be a human form (the mock human). Then Screaming. This fire was ablaze next to a statue of what i assume to be molek. Also, i personally saw pictures of it. I have no evidence of him personally being involved in the ceremony, as they are all hooded in the pictures, but my concern is that even if he wasnt involved in that particular ceremony, it is a common practice for this club and I know he is a member of it as he has pictures of him in the club. It feels like it should say something that he would even associate with a club that did such a dispicable thing.

We all know that actions speak louder than words, and his actions dont say much. Also, his silence and secrecy about this club and his involvement in this ritual mock sacrifice concern me. What do you guys think.

What is molek?

Don’t be “worried”, but make sure he respects the sacraments and sacramentals.

Among other possable meanings, that is an old European sign of the horns of a cuckold. If you make this gesture behind him, fingers pointing up, you are telling everyone else that you think he wife is putting horns on his head.

Another European use is when the hand is held down and horizontal, thrusting away from you. This can be either the evil eye or a defense against the evil eye.

Yes, that is cause for concern.

Today, with all this acceptance of New Ageism and a growing interest in ancient religions and the occult, many people are engaging in “harmless” activities, with what you are describing on the extreme end. Many orthodox and traditional Catholic clergymen (including our current Pope) have warned us that participation in these seemingly harmless activities can actualy open the door to a demonic presence.

It is still a doctrine of the Church that Satan and demonic forces exist and that they are not merely metaphorical or whatever else (in fact, our Holy Father and many prominent exorcists have said that the forces of Evil are growing more powerfuly because people no longer believe in them).

I reccomend that you email the Catholic Answer’s chaplain, Fr. Vincent Serpa, for advice on your friend. This is a very serious matter.

The statue is not “MOLEK”. The statue is an owl and molek has NEVER been associated with an owl. No matter how much certain talk show hosts like to call it Molek, said talk show host doesn’t know what he is talking about on that point.

That point aside-- yes, it is a cause for concern because no-one who calls themsleves Christian should be engaging in mock human sacrifice or any of the other debaucheries rumored and attested to going on in that club. That is not the only club your “friend” is a member of either, am I correct? I believe there was one of a similar nature he belonged to in college?

I do think that the hand sign is probably for UTX.

honestly, I’d pray for the guy but I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

I was a Wiccan once, studied it and other Pagan religions very deeply for about five years.

Only reason I left it was because of my love and need for Jesus.

honestly, it sounds to me like he is part of a fluff-bunny group… somewhat like an old friend of mine that I used to get very annoyed with when I was still Pagan (btw, am I still considered a Pagan because I haven’t finished RCIA yet, because I don’t believe the Pagan theologies anymore?), and I still get annoyed with her now about it, though not as much - she would say she had done things that real Wiccans would know to be impossible or highly unlikely.

I have personally learned to read Tarot Cards and Runes, as well as to practice Bibliomancy - I have personally said prayers to the moon and to the lake and ocean, and to the stars - I personally have tried to be so “in control” of everything, to be “independent” (oh, the disease of our society!) - I personally have participated in ancient ritual feasts meant to honour the old gods - I personally have astral projected, meditated, cast circles, played the role of the Maiden for certain rituals, attempted spellwork, denied the existance of the devil - I have called myself a witch and a Wiccan with pride - and I personally have had to learn, through my personal experiences and pain - just why these things hurt more than help.

some things are still hard to know that I have given them up; I used to have a pentacle necklace that I placed a protection charm upon - it always made me feel so safe and secure, knowing my “bubble” was around me - when I am in my weakest moments(example is when some older men tried to force me into their car one night when I was walking home from an event at the school - it has to be really scarey), I miss having that talisman around my neck - but I am learning to trust Jesus more than my own spiritual handiwork.

after all, I was dirt poor for a full year (finishing grade twelve completely on my own and maintaining a 90 avg so I could hope to go on) and would’ve died had not someone else been looking out for me - because I certainly couldn’t do it. I used to walk home at night, and whenever I was harrassed, or followed, or threatened - I would think, ‘if I don’t make it home tonight, no one will know’… I couldn’t protect myself then! I had to let go of my arrogant, pride-ful misbeliefs… and learn to trust God over myself.

honestly, I am angered when I find people putting down the Pagan and occult faiths, because I know from experience just how beautiful and full of God they are! yes, I said they are full of God… For true Pagans, they seek never to harm and always to help - to love their neighbors and to protect their environments and to care for fellow creatures and to truly live by the truth as they know it.

and when Pagans truly do good deeds, even if they think it is in the name of another God, it is not really a point for the devil but is a point for the One true God because though they have not heard all of His call, they have heard some of it.

I would rather be a sincere Pagan than an insincere Christian, put it that way. ‘Christian’s’ who do evil works and fail to repent are not garunteed heaven simply because they have claimed a name, and Pagans who do good works and strive to live in good faith are not garunteed hell simply because they never knew that they should take the name of ‘Christian’.

I somehow think that God is more into the fruits produced and the love in the heart than in the labels and names. If this is true, and your friend is genuinely a good person who seeks to do good and live well, then with prayers and love I am sure that God will reach him eventually and his past will likely become more of an asset than a hinderance to his faith journey.

love
Saoirse

I can’t speak to your friend’s situation. But, I know a young man who after been involved in Satanism has become possessed. :frowning:

This stuff is not a joke.

You are no longer Pagan. You are now a Catechumen, if you haven’t been baptized before, or a Candidate if you have been baptized. So, even though you haven’t been formally inducted into the Church, you can still tell people that you are indeed a Christian.

Actually, it was started way before rock’n’roll. It is a sign against the evil eye. Back when people were VERY superstitious (middle ages), people used to make this symbol horizontally at someone they felt was evil to ward off the evil eye.

The first rock star who really got it associated with rock was Ronnie James Dio (from the heavy metal band, Dio). He got it from his Catholic grandma who still used it to ward off the evil eye, cause he thought it would be cool to do on stage. (I used to be REALLY into metal in my younger, stupider years)

When heavy metal became associated with the Devil (thank you Black Sabbath), the sign went with it, which is why we think of that. So, you will see people at Marilyn Manson and Ozzy Osbourne concerts making that sign, and they associate it with the devil in most circumstances.

Do Satanists use the sign? Yes. Do Christians who happen to also like rock’n’roll use it? Yes. Do teens use it cause they think it looks cool? Yes. I didn’t know it was a sign for sports teams, but I believe that too. So, the sign itself would not be a matter of concern.

But the clubs you mention, they sound like BAD NEWS. No Christian should ever be involved in anything that involves mock sacrifices and occult rituals.

What can you do? Pray, pray, pray.

God bless!

Trish

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.