Worried About The Unpardonable Sin

Hi
I know that the Catholic teaching on the unpardonable sin is: “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.
So as a Catholic, is it true that I must believe in the Catechism teaching? Because I’ve been worried that I might have said bad things about the Holy Spirit. I’ve just been really anxious thinking about blasphemy and what would happen if I defintiely said something bad about the Holy Spirit. Someone told me it wasn’t cursing, but saying that the Holy Spirit is demo*ic and then that idea came into my head. I’m very scrupulous and I’ve always been thinking I’ve accidentally blasphemed. Like when I breathe out and have a bad thought at the same time, it seems like I’ve said something. I don’t even know if I have said anything blasphemous. I’ve just been anxious, I don’t hate the Trinity and I know I have no reason to. I just keep worrying and being anxious, does God understand?

Why has the CCC interpreted the Bible passages about the unpardonable sin to be refusal to repent etc.?

I’m worried, please help

Part of understanding may come from getting some real and substantial help (perhaps medical?) for this issue of anxiety - voiced in multiple threads - and the sense of not being sure if you actually did something wrong.

Hi
I know that the Catholic teaching on the unpardonable sin is: “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.
So as a Catholic, is it true that I must believe in the Catechism teaching? Because I’ve been worried that I might have said bad things about the Holy Spirit. I’ve just been really anxious thinking about blasphemy and what would happen if I defintiely said something bad about the Holy Spirit. Someone told me it wasn’t cursing, but saying that the Holy Spirit is demo*ic and then that idea came into my head. I’m very scrupulous and I’ve always been thinking I’ve accidentally blasphemed. Like when I breathe out and have a bad thought at the same time, it seems like I’ve said something. I don’t even know if I have said anything blasphemous. I’ve just been anxious, I don’t hate the Trinity and I know I have no reason to. I just keep worrying and being anxious, does God understand?

Why has the CCC interpreted the Bible passages about the unpardonable sin to be refusal to repent etc.?

I’m worried, please help

Dear friend, you have already written the answer to your own question." There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss".

The only unforgivable sin…is the sin you don’t ask for forgiveness for. And for that to happen, you’d have to turn your back on God. Stop going to church, confession, you wouldn’t want to receive the Lord’s gift of himself to us (Eucharist). Ask for God’s Mercy, he’s always there for us.

We all have crazy things that may pop into our heads, some even evil, we can’t control that. If a thought pops in, pop it out with a short prayer “Jesus have Mercy on Me”, “Jesus, Mary, and Joseph pray for me”, the list goes on.

Trust me; I know what you’re going through. God does not want any of us to go to hell. Find yourself a good confessor, and listen to their advice.

It certainly helped me. I am at peace with God’s Divine Mercy!

I have read that when someone is scrupulous that they ought to pick one confessor (the same Priest) all the time, to tell them what your problem is and then to take their advice. So, if I were you, I’d find a really good Priest and confess to him always and do what he says. I’ll keep you in my prayers that you will do that.

It is my understanding that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not cursing or saying something against the Holy Spirit, but the refusal to accept God’s forgiveness and mercy. Sounds like that’s not the case with you. But it wouldn’t hurt to ask your confessor.

Are you really worried or are you simply fooling around from an anti-Catholic position? It’s not a “catechism teaching”, it’s a biblical one. The interpretation is not by “the CCC” but by God through His Catholic Church to us.

Simply put, if you refuse to repent from all your sins before you pass from this Earth you really place yourself in a position of peril. Afraid? GOOD! Go show some repentance and contrition in the confessional so you can receive absolution.

If however you are an anti-Catholic just trying to stir the pot (forgive me if I am wrong but your posting screams to me that you are) I would recommend you spend some time in front of the Blessed Sacrament, asking this same question face to face with God the Son. See what He says – and suggests…

Part of understanding may come from getting some real and substantial help (perhaps medical?) for this issue of anxiety - voiced in multiple threads - and the sense of not being sure if you actually did something wrong.

SebMurphy,

I notice that you, like me, are new to this forum. In reviewing your other posts, I also notice that in a short period of time, you have posted concerns that; 1) your confirmation might not have been valid because you may have accidentally said that you don’t reject Satan when you renewed your baptismal vows, 2) that you may have received communion in a state of mortal sin because you accidentally blasphemed God the Father, God the Son, and the Holy Spirit under your breath, perhaps several times, and 3) that you are concerned that you have committed an “unpardonable” sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which you apparently mistakenly believe is referenced in the CCC.

There is a thread of consistency in your concerns that may suggest that your problem is not merely spiritual. The suggestions that you find a confessor and stick with him is a good one. You may want to examine whether these problems are consistent with other aspects of your life, and share that with your confessor as well. If you suffer from some form of Tourette’s syndrome or other form of OCD or an anxiety disorder, this should not be a source of anguish for you in your spiritual life. To the contrary, you should be able to find strength in Christ and His instituted Sacraments to assist you with any problems that you may have. A good parish priest should have sensitivity to any potential problems that may exist in your life if you are forthcoming with him. Be forthcoming and then do what he says.

If you are just having fun at our expense, as suggested by another poster, that would be a shame. If that is the case, the reality is that someone else who is genuinely addressing similar issues may stumble across this post and receive a good that you never intended. In either event, I said a prayer for you.

I used ot be terrified of the unpardonable sin, however i did some research and:

The council of Trent infallibly defined that all sins can be forgiven in the sacrament of confession, this must be believed as it is a dogma. So no worries :p.

[size=2]CANON I.–If any one saith, that in the Catholic Church Penance is not truly and properly a sacrament, instituted by Christ our Lord for reconciling the faithful unto God, as often as they fall into sin after baptism; let him be anathema.

[/size]

[size=2]

history.hanover.edu/texts/trent/trentall.html

Notice reconcile cannot be done imperfectly, so all sins can be forgiven through the sacrament of penance.

This is infallible (cannot be wrong) and must be believed so no need to worry about never being forgiven.
[/size]
Peace,

Please don’t let your heart worry. The Catholic Church teaches the truth. Not only that, but it is the Catholic Church (with the guidance of the Holy Spirit), that put together the cannon of the Bible. Who better to know how to interpret the Bible, than the very church that God willed to put forth the Bible into all the world?

The worry from this issue in particular can have sad consequences. The worry about the unpardonable sin could cause one to focus on separation from the Lord, rather than uniting our hearts with Him.

There was a time when I was so terribly afraid that I had blasphemed the Holy Spirit, even when I didn’t know that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is final unrepentance at death. For ten long years I grieved & troubled myself about this. At times I would become physically sick if I thought about it too much, & many nights I lay awake fretting. How foolish of me! I could have used all that energy to love the Lord with all my soul, with all my strength, with all my might. But I wasted my emotions, thoughts, & my rapid heartbeats on fear. At night as I lay my head upon my pillow, I could have thought beautiful thoughts of Jesus, & prayed beautiful prayers adoring Him, Who has brought us salvation.

I went to confession. I was so afraid, that I that I confessed several times. Every priest said I did not blaspheme, & I was absolved. Isn’t it true that the Holy Spirit guides the priest during this Holy sacrament? And it is true that when we are absolved, we are absolved.

Finally, a few years ago, I just reached out to Jesus (not that I hadn’t before :thumbsup:). My husband was on a business trip. I prayed to Jesus, & I told Him my fears, & how I never in my heart or with my will ever, ever blasphemed the Holy Spirit. Then I asked Him for a special favor. Maybe the Holy Spirit Himself prompted me to ask this extraordinary request… I asked our precious Lord to kindly give me a ring… not as a sign, but as a symbol that He still loves me, that I’m forgivable, that I’m still savable, & that He still wants me. Now, my husband hardly ever gives me jewelry (which is fine, give the money to the poor!). But in this prayer I specifically prayed that while my husband was on a business trip, that he would stop at a kiosk in the middle of the airport & buy a ring. If that happened I knew it would be from Our Lord, & I told Him I would no longer fear about the unpardonable sin. The only other rings that my husband had given me were my engagement & wedding ring. That’s all.

I didn’t tell a soul about my prayer. In fact, I nearly forgot all about it myself. A few days went by, & that Friday or Saturday my husband returned. “Oh,” he said, “I brought you a present”. In his hand was a small bag. In the bag were red & white tissues (:eek:). Inside the small box was a ring. Of all the perfect timing! A ring! It was silver, my favorite as I really do not like gold jewelry. The size was perfection. My husband told me that he selected a size five, which is what I normally wear, but even a size five is not a perfect fit for my small middle finger. The lady behind the counter measured the ring, & it measured at 4.75. I think the rings were not supposed to be in special sizes, but this one was. Get this though… the lady told my husband that the stone in the ring is “moonstone”. My husband was not aware that moonstone is my birthstone. He only knew that alexandrite & pearl were my birthstones. Not only is moonstone my birthstone, it is my favorite birthstone out of all three! The shape of the moonstone is in a teardrop shape. If anyone has interpretations as to the meaning of that, I would be delighted to hear them!

I put the ring on my finger. And then that night, I remembered my prayer from earlier that week. And it was then how I realized that it happened just as I prayed, & that it was perfect. Every time I look at His ring on my right hand, I am reminded of His love, salvation, & forgiveness.

It took a little while longer to completely stamp out all of the fear. I went to confession, & spoke to the priest about my fear that I might have committed the unpardonable sin. I explained things in detail, including my fears. Ever since that final confession, & the symbol of grace that the Lord gave to me, I have been 100% fear-free from this sin.

I wrote this gigantic post not to talk about the ring, but to use my experience of & example of how much Jesus loves us. He doesn’t want anyone to go to hell, & reaches to the furthest depths, even dying on the cross, to save us. He has not abandoned us, & He has given us the guidance of His Catholic Church, under instruction & wisdom of the Holy Spirit Himself, to teach us & lead us. Trust Him, & trust His Church… trust His Catholic Church when she says that that the unforgivable sin is final repentance. The Catholic Church receives the wisdom of the Holy Spirit. Have faith :).

Jesus loved little me enough to go out of the way to show his love & forgiveness to me. Don’t you think for a second that he wouldn’t reach to the depths of Hell or the ends of the earth for you; He loves you so very much. Go to confession if you haven’t already. Tell the priest your fear. Know that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is final unrepentance, then thank God for your life & for the sacrament of confession. And when you are absolved & comforted, know that you are truly in a state of grace & that you have not committed blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Jesus loves you so much. If only we could comprehend the depth of his love, we would be more able to take Pope John Paul II’s word’s “Be not afraid” to heart.

Be at peace. Know that our Lord Jesus, loves you.

May God’s peace & joy rain down on you, & cleanse your spirit from all fear.

Take comfort in the one who saves you :).

Love,
La-Petite-Fleur

Correction, I meant: “Trust Him, & trust His Church… trust His Catholic Church when she says that that the unforgivable sin is final NON-repentance.”

See, mistakes happen. God knows our hearts ;).

My understanding, having attended Catholic schools for 11 years, is that the unforgivable sin against the Holy Spirit is going to one’s grave refusing to believe that said Holy Spirit will give one the grace necessary to save one’s soul.

The outstanding example of this was Judas Iscariot. I don’t think that anyone doubts that Judas would have been forgiven if he had repented and asked his Saviour for forgiveness. But he probably lost his soul, not because of his betrayal but because of his terminal despair.

If you worry about whether you may have committed this sin, you haven’t - you’re still alive and able to embrace God’s saving grace!

The unpardonable sin fails the test of faith, hope, and charity.

It represents a lack of faith because one does not believe God is merciful and just.

It represents a lack of hope because one does not believe one’s sins can be forgiven by God.

It represents a lack of charity because one believes oneself to be a sinner so lost as to be unlovable by God.

This is a particular challenge for the scrupulous, who seek to damage themselves rather than others. God prefers us to damage neither, but abide with Him.

I think this is a lot easier to understand now that I am a parent. I would be crushed if my son sought to hurt himself in the belief that I didn’t love him and so wouldn’t care. That must be a small fraction of how God must feel when we treat Him as unloving tyrant.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.