Worried about this election

I try not to let it bother me, after all, Jesus Christ is our King. However, it stresses me to think that BO could win this election. I get sick when I think about it. I pray about it, and try to think positive but it haunts me sometimes. I want some reassurance that MR will win this election, but the reassuarnce is not there. Does anyone else feel like this? How do you deal with it???

...that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He will bring about at the proper time—He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen. 1 Timothy 6:14-16

I just try to think that while he could possibly be in charge of this country again, ultimately it is the Good Lord that is in control of EVERYTHING! As you've already implied.

I also try and remember that we are a part of this world, we are to not live in this world. Strive for the otherside of eternity.

You can only control your actions and dictate where your soul goes. You can't really control who's in charge on earth, so all you can do is brace for impact and keep in mind who's really in charge.

Hope this helps you and brings you some peace.

God bless you!

I agree, I feel if BO is elected we will see the end of this once Christian nation and it's values. Thinking that my hard earned tax dollars will support anti-Catholic issues and lend support to a religion that scoffs at Jesus Christ as our Savior is insulting enough to fight our government all the way. VOTE ROMNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a very concerning election indeed. My husband is convinced that we are in the end times, but I keep trying to tell him that its not for us to know. :) I just keep trying to remind myself that, whatever happens, our God is greater than our president. He is greater than any evil that threatens us. And I also think of how praying the Rosary led to the conversion of Russia--why would it not aid us as a nation? We as Catholics can pray the Rosary daily, we can vote for men and women we think will fight for our cause, we can help the less fortunate through our acts of Charity, and we can use all of our might to try and maintain what is good.

Let us pray that we keep the right to do all of these things freely......

I think I'm going to put my hope in God and not man.
On Nov.6th, one of these men will have won the election...In January he will be in the White House leading the country.
All we can do is pray that our leaders will do the right things for our country.

[quote="Ophelia23, post:4, topic:302872"]
It is a very concerning election indeed. My husband is convinced that we are in the end times, but I keep trying to tell him that its not for us to know. :) I just keep trying to remind myself that, whatever happens, our God is greater than our president. He is greater than any evil that threatens us. And I also think of how praying the Rosary led to the conversion of Russia--why would it not aid us as a nation? We as Catholics can pray the Rosary daily, we can vote for men and women we think will fight for our cause, we can help the less fortunate through our acts of Charity, and we can use all of our might to try and maintain what is good.

Let us pray that we keep the right to do all of these things freely......

[/quote]

Not hard to understand why your husband tends to think this way. The Renaissance bought a great deal of this thinking into view, and basically many of these idividuals are being re-called in our time and applied today.

Nevertheless as you say there is much we can do, and in truth the final say resides in the Lords will. Temporal rulers come and go, only God remains the objective.

I’m not sure that most people realize that a sitting president isn’t a temporary king. He can’t rule by edict. Your congressmen had to vote on that act first, even if the president got someone else to introduce it. And a different president will not be able to just wipe out with a stroke of the pen something that has already been signed into law. It has to be repealed, again, by legislators, or overturned by the court system. I think that regardless who gets into office, abortion on demand, whether funded or not by federal money, is going to continue to have to be chipped away at methodically. Hopefully, those who bring such cases have good constitutional attorneys who are adept at writing motions.

Things such as this should serve to convince people to see behind, beyond, and between the lines of the glittering campaign promises of either side. A candidate, whether incumbent or hopeful, is limited in what he can actually do once elected. For example, Ross Perot (remember him?) based his platform largely on a business model and said that the first thing he would do is to fire Congress. If he were elected, he couldn’t do that if he tried! Nope, the voters would have to review their own congressman’s record, and base their vote on that review. Honestly speaking, how many people actually know how their congressman voted on a particular bill?

The office of the presidency is so important that it tends to take center stage, and it’s easy to listen to sound bytes, and base one’s vote on what one hopes will be a grandstand play.

What a sitting president can do, however, is just about as scary as summarily overturning or pronouncing laws: He can deploy troops to a crisis zone without the authorization of Congress. A review of the last sixty or so years of American history will tell you that the conflicts, “police actions,” and “advisory actions” have all been initiated by the president who was in office at the time. The last declared war that involved the United States was World War II, when FDR declared war on the Japanese, and then Germany and Italy declared war on us. WW II was a long time ago, and we’ve been pretty much involved in some kind of hot spot or another since then, all without a declaration of war by Congress. No, he can’t declare war, but he can engage in some pretty warlike actions all by his own decision. He later has to convince Congress to finance the whole thing, but he can initiate action on his own (on the advice of his own hand-picked advisors, and hopefully those advisors are intelligent and moral people, not just hand-picked flunkeys.) And hopefully the sitting president has a clue as to how world affairs really work.

Before anyone starts flaming me for these caveats, I want to say this: I don’t like either candidate, and I’m considering registering my displeasure with the selection by writing in a candidate. The electoral college system would limit the efficacy of my vote anyways if I were to vote for the Republican candidate, since New York is already considered a Democrat state.

[quote="odile53, post:7, topic:302872"]
I'm not sure that most people realize that a sitting president isn't a temporary king. He can't rule by edict. Your congressmen had to vote on that act first, even if the president got someone else to introduce it. And a different president will not be able to just wipe out with a stroke of the pen something that has already been signed into law.

[/quote]

What you say is absolutely true! I think the area of deep concern--at least for me--is that the sitting president appoints the Supreme Court, who can essentially rule by edict. While the process can be repealed, drawn out, exaggerated, what the Supreme Court says is law is law. Having (more) people appointed to it that are part of the culture of death, or who wish to take away religious freedom for the "better good", is a scary thought indeed.

[quote="Ophelia23, post:8, topic:302872"]
What you say is absolutely true! I think the area of deep concern--at least for me--is that the sitting president appoints the Supreme Court, who can essentially rule by edict. While the process can be repealed, drawn out, exaggerated, what the Supreme Court says is law is law. Having (more) people appointed to it that are part of the culture of death, or who wish to take away religious freedom for the "better good", is a scary thought indeed.

[/quote]

Presidents do not unilaterally appoint SCOTUS justices -- they nominate them -- and then there are Senate hearings and then the full Senate votes to confirm the nominations -- or not.

[quote="Clarissa51, post:1, topic:302872"]
I try not to let it bother me, after all, Jesus Christ is our King. However, it stresses me to think that BO could win this election. I get sick when I think about it. I pray about it, and try to think positive but it haunts me sometimes. I want some reassurance that MR will win this election, but the reassuarnce is not there. Does anyone else feel like this? How do you deal with it???

...that you keep the commandment without stain or reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, which He will bring about at the proper time—He who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone possesses immortality and dwells in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see. To Him be honor and eternal dominion! Amen. 1 Timothy 6:14-16

[/quote]

Don't worry, the wheels are coming off for Obama. I believe MR will win in a rout.

But, if I am wrong, BO cannot single handedly change hearts. He may do a fair amount of damage and indeed, already has. Granting him a second term will further alienate those who hold Christ as Savior and redeemer.

I am deeply concerned about the electorate. Historically, a presidential record ammassed by BO would have had him trounced. The voter today seems especially self serving. They are not at all concerned with what is best for the country and others, they seem singularly focused on self. Perhaps this is an outgrowth of a culture that prefers abortion over life and so-called gay marriage over family. Funny, but both of those issues speak nothing of personal sacrifice but rather self gratification regardless of any consequences to others. This type of person is drawn to personality like BO.

More than a MR landslide, I would like to see our culture become more other "other" centered and less self centered. I know I speak in generalities, but there does seem to be a trend that is indicated by the "popularity" of BO.

Don't worry. Just vote against Obama. God will give us what we deserve.

Instead of wasting time worrying, we should (1) pray each day and (2) work each day on electing prolife candidates.

It stresses me that either BO or MR will win this election :shrug: We deserve better.

**While I do think worry is useless, and we need to leave things to God, we do have good reason to be concerned if Obama is re-elected. He has already said;

All in all, the White House's agenda is clear. "I refuse to take 'no' for an answer," Obama professed in a speech carried out earlier this year. "When Congress refuses to act and -- as a result -- hurts our economy and puts people at risk, I have an obligation as president to do what I can without them."**
Yes, he IS only one man and not a king, but he is circumventing Congress to do what he wants to do.

Most people did not want Obamacare, but it was shoved down our throats with all kinds of special sweet deals to some of those in Congress or to some states.

He has also been using Executive Authority to bypass Congress. He did it with the "Dream Act", he did it with "Decree Sanctions", and he did it with the "National Defense Resources Preparedness" which grants him the unprecedented power to control
"critical resources and production" which lets him seize control of ALL U.S. resources as long as his "intention" is to promote national defense ( which can have lots of meanings).

These are just three things, and Obama has said he will start doing this more to get done what HE wants to do.

Worry won't help, but pray like never before, say the Rosary for our country, and make sure you talk to as many people as you can.

Please remember that discussions of political parties or figures are not allowed in this forum. Thank you for your cooperation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.