Worries over child's learning disabilities

Please pray for a very close friend of mine. Her name is Ann, and she is consumed with worry over her oldest child’s struggles in school. I am actually more concerned with Ann’s worrying than I am with the academic progress of her little boy. She is very fearful that he won’t learn to read, won’t learn the basics in school, and will be condemned to an adult life in which he can’t support himself. He does have some learning disabilities, and Ann works very hard with this child herself, driving him all over town to various agencies that work with children like him. Obviously she needs to do whatever she can to help him succeed, but she also needs to stop worrying and obsessing about it too. Her own state of mind is adding to whatever stress is naturally present in the situation. Add to it, she and her husband are thinking about selling their house- no small thing.

So the long and the short of it, please pray for Ann to be calm about her son’s disabilities and success in school, stop obsessing about it, and let it go after having done her best to help him. Thank you so much.

I will pray for Ann and her child.
It is very hard having a child with a learning disability. I have one as well. The worry is always there - but we need to trust that God will provide and rise to the challenge.

Lord, may Ann find relief from her stress by praying and hoping in you. May she turn to you in prayer from now on with hope in her heart that you will provide and keep your promises to her and her son. May she just do her best and leave the rest to your providence without excessively worrying. Help Ann and her son, please, and never let them be separated from you by excessive worry or discouragement from a learning disability. Thank you, Lord, for hearing my prayer. Amen.

nods No small thing, indeed. Thank you for posting. I will certainly pray for Ann, her oldest child & her whole family.

We share similar issues. My child is handicapped, husband is a Stage IV Cancer patient, we are bankrupt & facing foreclosure. When all seems to come crushing down around us, it's so hard (to put it mildly) not feel overwhelmed. This is what I do:

~ Offer all my cares and concerns up to Christ, placing them in His most capable, loving hands.
~ Remember the many blessings, miracles (big & small), the Lord has provided & continues to provide.
~ Pray the Rosary, Divine Mercy (Jesus, I Trust In You!), St. Michael the Archangel Chaplet
~ Go to Reconciliation, Mass, receive Communion.
~ Eucharistic Adoration
~ Read the Psalms.
~ Sometimes, when it gets real bad, I'll read Job.
~ Coming here, to join others in prayer, helps too. It is a comfort knowing that in some small way, I can help others.

Ann is blessed to have such a wonderful friend.. Will keep her entire family in my prayers, starting right now. Here is one prayer recently shared with another member of CAF. Praying it now, for Ann~

~+~
A Prayer to Divine Providence

O Sweet and Tender Providence of God,
into Thy hands I commend my spirit,
to Thee I abandon myself,
my hopes, my fears, my desires,
my repugnances, my temporal and eternal prospects.
To Thee I commit the wants of my perishable body,
to Thee I commit the far more precious interests of my immortal soul,
for whose interests I have nothing to fear
while I withdraw it not from Thy bosom.
Though my faults are many, my misery great, my spiritual poverty extreme,
my hope in Thee surpasses all.
It is greater than my difficulties, stronger than death.
Though temptations should assail me, I will hope in Thee,
though I should sink beneath my weakness, I will hope in Thee still,
though I should break my resolutions a thousand times,
I will look to Thee confidently for grace to keep them at last;
though Thou shouldst slay me, even then will I trust Thee,
for Thou art my God, my Father and my Friend.
Thou art my kind, my tender, my indulgent Parent,
and I am Thy loving Child, who cast myself into Thy Arms and beg Thy blessing,
who put my trust in Thee, and so trusting,
shall never be confounded.

Providence did provide.
Providence can provide.
Providence will provide.

O loving Providence of God,
we commit this cause to Thee.
Amen
~+~

Lord I’ve seen family members in extreme distress over similar problems, but I’ve also seen things work out for the children hugely better than feared.
Please give Ann insight that her efforts will not be in vain, and that her child will find a good and happy place in life and society.
Please guide her, and anyone advising her, to the best choices and techniques to help her child to his full potential.
Thank You, Lord

Amen!

In addition to all our prayers, here’s something for Ann (& jrabs, too). Lit proffessor shared it w/me years ago, after she found out about my child & I, about hers. Ann might have seen it before. If so, maybe it will help her to read it again.
hugs & continued prayers

The Special Mother
by Erma Bombeck
our-kids.org/Archives/Special_mother.html

[quote="BriarRose, post:4, topic:179706"]
nods No small thing, indeed. Thank you for posting. I will certainly pray for Ann, her oldest child & her whole family.

We share similar issues. My child is handicapped, husband is a Stage IV Cancer patient, we are bankrupt & facing foreclosure. When all seems to come crushing down around us, it's so hard (to put it mildly) not feel overwhelmed. This is what I do:

~ Offer all my cares and concerns up to Christ, placing them in His most capable, loving hands.
~ Remember the many blessings, miracles (big & small), the Lord has provided & continues to provide.
~ Pray the Rosary, Divine Mercy (Jesus, I Trust In You!), St. Michael the Archangel Chaplet
~ Go to Reconciliation, Mass, receive Communion.
~ Eucharistic Adoration
~ Read the Psalms.
~ Sometimes, when it gets real bad, I'll read Job.
~ Coming here, to join others in prayer, helps too. It is a comfort knowing that in some small way, I can help others.

Ann is blessed to have such a wonderful friend.. Will keep her entire family in my prayers, starting right now. Here is one prayer recently shared with another member of CAF. Praying it now, for Ann~

~+~
A Prayer to Divine Providence

O Sweet and Tender Providence of God,
into Thy hands I commend my spirit,
to Thee I abandon myself,
my hopes, my fears, my desires,
my repugnances, my temporal and eternal prospects.
To Thee I commit the wants of my perishable body,
to Thee I commit the far more precious interests of my immortal soul,
for whose interests I have nothing to fear
while I withdraw it not from Thy bosom.
Though my faults are many, my misery great, my spiritual poverty extreme,
my hope in Thee surpasses all.
It is greater than my difficulties, stronger than death.
Though temptations should assail me, I will hope in Thee,
though I should sink beneath my weakness, I will hope in Thee still,
though I should break my resolutions a thousand times,
I will look to Thee confidently for grace to keep them at last;
though Thou shouldst slay me, even then will I trust Thee,
for Thou art my God, my Father and my Friend.
Thou art my kind, my tender, my indulgent Parent,
and I am Thy loving Child, who cast myself into Thy Arms and beg Thy blessing,
who put my trust in Thee, and so trusting,
shall never be confounded.

Providence did provide.
Providence can provide.
Providence will provide.

O loving Providence of God,
we commit this cause to Thee.
Amen
~+~

[/quote]

Thank you, BriarRose, and I will certainly pray for you as well. I'm sorry you are going through such a terrible time. May Our Lord grant you and your family His grace in abundance through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Thank you to the other members who have also offered prayers for this friend of mine.
God bless you.

Praying for Ann and her child …

Hail Mary
full of grace
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary
Mother of God
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.