Worsening depression and despair

Please pray for me I feel like I keep falling more and more into despair and I can’t get out. I feel like I’ve been so stressed for the past few months and I have no more strength to keep going and pushing through these struggles. I cry all the time and I just kinda wanna give up. I don’t know what to do so I ask you all for your help.

Thanks.

I am just coming out of a bad period of depression and I know how strength sapping it can be. I will hold you in my prayers and thoughts.

I have been where you are. Hang on tight to what you know to be true even though you don’t feel it at all. God loves you and will see you through. You are precious to Him! Go to Him for help again and again. Don’t be afraid to ask others for help (as you have here) - God often acts through others. May God and His Blessed Mother help you.

A Prayer by a depressed soul

Oh heavenly Father,
The giver of life and every good gift,
Please accept my humble plea for help.
Although I have sinned against you many times,
Please do not hold it against me.
Forgive me please and show me the right way to walk.

My heavenly Father please console me in this moment of distress.
Make my heart rejoice and give me a reason to carry on.
I am at my lowest point and in desperate need of your caring arm.
Please offer me your shoulder to lean on.
If it is your will let me make it through the night.
May I awake in a cheerful mood.

Do not forsake me heavenly Father.
In Jesus name I approach you. Amen.

Author unknown

My dear friend, I will keep you in my prayers!!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of death.
Amen.

See a doctor. Meds will help. Daily Mass will, too. Get some physical activity and eat a balanced diet. :gopray:

We all will include you in our prayers.

A few ideas … whenever you are by yourself, keep your rosary in your hand. Say the Hail Mary’s and when the thought occurs to you, recall the mysteries … which ever ones come to you.

Sometimes, my favorite mystery is the Descent of the Holy Spirit.

Another idea is something called “pattern interruption”. Meaning: to do something different, however small or inconsequential when the depression and despair hit.

For example, … wave your arms around … march around the house while humming marching music. Silly dopey things.

Recall that silly dopey episode from “I Love Lucy” where she and Ethel were working at a candy packing factory and they couldn’t keep up with the conveyor belt and chocolates were going all over the place.

Make a list of silly dopey comic things that have tickled your “funny bone” in the past and then recall as many of them as possible.

Make a list of every accomplishment you have ever had … starting when you were a little kid, maybe chasing ducks in a park … and up through learning to tie your shoelaces and up to rolling or throwing a ball … maybe learning to ride a bike … “Montessori stuff” … you have a life time of accomplishments. Everyone is different, but everyone has them. Could be spiritual experiences long ago.

Think of some past experiences that you enjoyed and relive/ daydream them.

Think of some imaginary experiences that you enjoyed … maybe some adventure movie or some person you admire … maybe a sports figure … and relive their triumphs as if you were running the mile yourself. (Or whatever it was.)

Let yourself be inspired by … not necessarily the lives … but specific really neat experiences of others … insert yourself into those positive situations.

Hang in there, and do seek professional help. Depression is a disease and can be treated; you don’t have to go through the rest of your life feeling like this. :console:

As others have also said i have been where you are now and im so very sorry for you.Please hang on in there and trust in the Lord He does answer prayers.
My sister you are in my thoughts and prayers,pray to Him he is with you always…

Father please help your daughter who is need of your help.She is in despair lead her to the people who can help her and let her hear you Lord.Amen

Jesus please help w2bp88 to find wise and loving ways to deal with the bases of this sense of desperation and depression. Please help her to manage these problems helpfully and with Your gace and the kindness of others.
Jesus please comfort and uplift her.
Thank You, Jesus

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Praying hard to St. Dymphna for you.

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

Thank you all for your prayers, I will keep you in mine too. I am seeking professional help but I am scared of the effects meds could have. I’m hoping I can bypass that treatment option.

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst women, and Blessed is the Fruit of Thy Womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Lord God, Father, Son, and Holy Ghost - O Blessed Trinity, please Have Mercy upon w2bp88, and help them in their need. If it be Your Holy Will, Lord, lift them out of their depression, but most over, Lord, descend Your Holy Spirit upon them, and help them to be consoled and to be reminded to offer up their sufferings in union with those of Your Cross, Lord Jesus. Through the same Jesus Christ, Our Lord, I pray. Amen.

St. Dymphna, pray for us.

Praying for all suffering from depression…

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Continued prayers…

W2bp88,

My memory isn’t the best but I recall writing to you and praying for you on another thread previous to this one. I don’t recall what I said there, but I will simply add the following.

I am a survivor/thriver from clinical depression. I take meds to this day for it and likely will for the rest of my life. I wish to share my experience with you so as to help you be more at ease and also to seek help with your eyes open. To start, medicines are gifts from God. That said, they need to be used properly for the right things or they can be harmful. Also, not all medicines are equal. This means that though many different meds have been discovered to help with depression, they don’t all work the same. It took me several different attempts with different medications before I found the one that really worked well. Side effects are always a risk, but one worth taking to be healthy. If you should run across an unpleasant side effect, simply bring this to your doctor’s attention and he/she will help you adjust/change meds accordingly. Two other things - don’t ever self medicate! I saw a news report after I started taking a med, and I panicked, so I stopped cold turkey, and I went into a terrible downward spiral, worse than anything I had experienced prior to taking any meds. Always make changes under the doctor’s supervision so that they are done gradually and safely. Also, just as a head’s up. You may find a med that works wonderfully, and then after some years, its like it quits working the way it used to. I’ve experienced that too, and have had to make adaptations with other medication, but through everything, I am very functional and quite happy most of the time. Throughout all of my experiences, even when I have found a med to work, there will still be days when the depression seems to be working harder than the medication can. That’s not necessarily a sign that you need to change meds, but rather just be aware that the chemical makeup in our brains can be slightly off of the usual that the med is addressing, in which case we just ride out the temporary “storm” that comes. Without doing this, I would be one curled up in a ball and rarely if ever getting out of bed. God will see you through this. Just don’t turn away the help he offers, even if it requires medication.

Heavenly Father,

W2bp88 is desperately in need of getting her depression healed in whatever way can be most helpful. Perhaps you will grant her a supernatural miracle; perhaps you will grant her a medical miracle; perhaps you will grant her an answer that none of us has even thought of yet. Whichever is the case, please, I beg of you to help W2bp88 to find what she needs, to your greater glory and to the inspiritation of others unto faith in you and your trustworthiness unto new and eternal life. Grant her such a sense of your presence and activity that she will rest with her heart at peace even as the journey to mental health may cause stress. Grant this through the great physician, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

As others have said, please seek professional help – there is help available and you are not alone.

If you aren’t familiar with the Divine Mercy, please go to www.thedivinemercy.org and read about it. It is a wonderful devotion and I am confident it will help you. Below are some excerpts from the Diary of St. Faustina:

Optional closing prayer for the chaplet of Divine Mercy:
Dear God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion - inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase your mercy in us, that we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence submit ourselves to your holy will, which is love and mercy itself.

From the Conversation of the Merciful God with a Despairing Soul:
Jesus: What joy fills My Heart when you return to Me. Because you are weak, I take you in My arms and carry you to the home of My Father.
Soul: (as if awakening, asks fearfully): Is it possible that there is yet mercy for me?
Jesus: There is, My child. You have a special claim on My mercy. Let it act in your poor soul; let the rays of grace enter your soul; they bring with them light, warmth, and life.
Soul: But fear fills me at the thought of my sins, and this terrible fear moves me to doubt Your goodness.
Jesus: My child, all your sins have not wounded My Heart as painfully as your present lack of trust does - that after so many efforts of My love and mercy, you should still doubt My goodness…Tell Me all, My child, hide nothing from Me because My loving Heart, the Heart of Your Best Friend is listening to you."

I’ll include you in my chaplets of Divine Mercy. :crossrc: :hug1:

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our deaths

Amen

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.