worship of statues

Do Catholics worship Idols, or believe statues of significant people can give blessing?

[quote="MITCH1234, post:1, topic:278758"]
Do Catholics worship Idols, or believe statues of significant people can give blessing?

[/quote]

Absolutely not. A statue represents the saint , Jesus etc. Does a person love a picture of their deceased mother, as in the actual material piece of film? No. But do they love their actual mother which is what the photo represents. Yes.

Hello, and welcome to then forums :thumbsup:

Regarding your question, I’m still learning apologetics myself so I’ll try and answer the best I can(if I’m wrong someone please correct me) :o

Catholics don’t worship statues, we honor the saints they are supposed to represent. When you look at a picture of someone close to you, what happens? Memories immediately rush in, no doubt. The same is true of the way Catholics use statues. When we see a statue of St. Paul for example, we’re reminded of his preserverence and committment to the Gospel, bravery in preaching it, and his absolute trust in God. The statue helps paint a picture in our head to reflect on, and motivates us to strive to model our lives as they did( they modeled their lives after Jesus.) In the Bible, God even commanded the building of statues and icons! It’s when people started to WORSHIP the statues and icons themselves that they became false gods and idols, and THAT’s what the promblem is. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Catholic do not worship statues.

The Bible shows that statues can have both legitimate (sacred decoration, worship focus) and illegitimate (idol worship) uses in worship.

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to the forums. Please read these to help answer your question…

catholic.com/tracts/saint-worship
catholic.com/tracts/do-catholics-worship-statues

MITCH1234, please consider obtaining a copy of Catholicism for Dummies. It will explain the truth about the faith.

MITCH1234 - Obtain a copy of the Catholic Catechism. It will explain all Catholic beliefs.

Subrosa

[/quote]

Nope. Catholics worship God alone.

[/quote]

No. If you would like to know what the authentic teachings of The Catholic Church are, the best place is The Catechism of The Catholic Church. You can get one here:
"amazon.com/Catechism-Catholic-Church-Gift-Edition/dp/0385479859/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1332981976&sr=8-13"

[/quote]

No more than the Jews worshiped the Ark.

No. Statues are objects. We have statues to remind us of the holy people who are represented by them. The "significant people" (i.e. the saints) are the ones who pray for our souls and such. Statues of Jesus and Mary are the same. God gives us graces, not the statues. : )

Nope...sure don't. I have an article on my blog that may help you out some.
Iconoclasm: Or: Catholics Worship Graven Images NOT

Do Catholics ... believe statues of significant people can give blessing?

[/quote]

Catholics certainly do not believe that statues have any innate power to give blessings. However, that doesn't mean God never uses statues instrumentally to give His blessings.

And the LORD said to Moses, "Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and every one who is bitten, when he sees it, shall live." So Moses made a bronze serpent, and set it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live. (Numbers 21:8-9)

I am pretty sure that when religious statues are set up in church buildings and consecrated, a priest prays that God might grant blessings to the people who properly venerate the statues.

Of course, the legitimate veneration of religious statues turns into idolatry when the statues begin to be regarded as the source of blessings instead of God, the true source of blessings.

... And he [good king Hezekiah] broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made, for until those days the people of Israel had burned incense to it; it was called Nehushtan. (2 Kings 18:4)

Do Catholics.....

[/quote]

@MITCH1234, have you read any of the replies to your question? Do you have any response?

Nope. Or maybe it’s more accurate to say that the Church teaches no such thing (and would in fact consider it a grave sin). That doesn’t guarantee that some Catholic somewhere won’t claim some very odd beliefs.

[/quote]

In a prior post you say you were thinking of Converting to Catholicism. What is it you are believing you are converting to?

If you want to be a follower of Christ then you want to be a Christian. If you want to have the fullnes of Faith as deposited by Christ and the Apostles then you want to be a Catholic Christian.

If you are planning on converting to something then what is it you are now that you are planning to from?:confused:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/QATC.gif

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.