Worship.

When I think of worshipping God I think of reverence, bowing to Him because He is God.

When my Protestant colleagues talk of Worship they mean to sing songs, not quite hymns, more songs about God and usually with drums and electric guitars.

Why do they call this worship?

Do they worship in the same way as us?

I get confused because all the Protestants I work with seem to be of a different church, some things they say the same and other things are different.

Also, as the only Catholic among all Protestants, I feel special, is that arrogant?

Thanks.

1378 Worship of the Eucharist. In the liturgy of the Mass we express our faith in the real presence of Christ under the species of bread and wine by, among other ways, genuflecting or bowing deeply as a sign of adoration of the Lord. “The Catholic Church has always offered and still offers to the sacrament of the Eucharist the cult of adoration, not only during Mass, but also outside of it, reserving the consecrated hosts with the utmost care, exposing them to the solemn veneration of the faithful, and carrying them in procession.”

2135 “You shall worship the Lord your God” (Mt 4:10). Adoring God, praying to him, offering him the worship that belongs to him, fulfilling the promises and vows made to him are acts of the virtue of religion which fall under obedience to the first commandment.

In my experience different religions have different forms of worship. I am speaking of all religions, not only Christian faiths.

Personally I do not think that an outsider can declare whether or not another person is engaged in worship.

They call it worship, because when they engage it that is what they are doing.

A Catholic could visit and adoration chapel and kneel in front of the Blessed Sacrament, but in their heart be doing anything but engaging in worship.

Some religions have specific forms and rituals that they call worship, other faiths have a wider and less ritualistic understanding of what constitutes worship.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.