Worst Christmas song by an ex-Beatle

I don't like either of these songs. One I despise; the other I'm just very tired of. Which one is worse. Bonus question: What other Christmas songs can you not stand?

I used to hate that Paul McCartney Wonderful Christmastime song. For whatever reason it has grown on me over the years.

I really enjoy the John Lennon song.

Every time I happen upon the "all Christmas all the time" radio station, "Wonderful Christmastime" is on. It represents all that is wrong with Paul McCartney's post-Beatles music. In a word: insipid.

I used to kind of like the John Lennon one. For whatever reason, I have heard it too much, and now about once a year is all I can stand.

I don't listen to Christmas music according to albums, aside from Trans-Siberian Orchestra. :christmastree1:

Today I watched a "Top of the Pops" Christmas special and fast forwarded most of it - The only Christmas songs I can stand are The Pogues' Fairytale of New York feat. Kirsty McColl, and Jona Lowie's Can You Stop the Cavalry. The rest was dross. The only reason I recorded the programme was that they were showing a film of David Bowie performing in 1973 that had been thought lost - a BBC cameraman had kept a copy and it came to light recently. That brought back many happy memories of when I was a besotted teenage Bowie fan!

I hate going into shops and having Christmas songs blasted at me - rubbish like Santa Baby or Winter Wonderland or a thousand other mediocre songs with added sleighbells...........bah, humbug!

I remember the first Christmas after 9/11 I went to a carols concert and a group of young singers sang 'Let it Be' and then 'Merry Christmas/War is Over'. I found it very moving at the time.

[quote="ora_pro_nobis, post:5, topic:267465"]
I hate going into shops and having Christmas songs blasted at me - rubbish like Santa Baby or Winter Wonderland or a thousand other mediocre songs with added sleighbells...........bah, humbug!

[/quote]

Ugh, Santa Baby is another one of the worst of all time. I'm no fan of Winter Wonderland either. Another from that same genre is "Sleigh Ride". I agree - bah, humbug.

I was in the grocery store yesterday when that god-awful "Wonderful Christmas Time" song was playing.

I wanted to heave a 22-lb frozen turkey at the speakers. :nunchuk:

I despise Santa Baby. The first Christmas song I remember disliking was Joan Jett's rendition of the Little Drummer Boy. One year my children's school very carefully followed the government guidelines about not letting religion get into their Holiday Show. They sang such "beautiful" tunes as "Toys, Beautiful Toys" to the tune of "The Yellow Rose of Texas". That was to this day the worst "Holiday" Concert I have ever attended!

[quote="ora_pro_nobis, post:5, topic:267465"]
The only Christmas songs I can stand are The Pogues' Fairytale of New York feat. Kirsty McColl,

[/quote]

Here, here. :clapping:

There's a Hugh Grant movie "About a Boy" - huge fan of that movie, have probably seen it a dozen times - but I really don't like the Christmas song his character supposedly wrote in that movie. Santa's Super Sleigh? There's NO WAY that could be a Christmas song in real life.

Santa Baby is an old song from the latter 1930’s Marilyn Monroe made it popular during the second World War.

And hearing Madonna’s version really ruined it for me. I still get nightmares over those Betty Boop vocals arrangement she was apparently trying to do… :frowning:

I have always loved the John Lennon Christmas song, and not liked the one by Paul McCartney.

Santa Baby gives me the “willies” and really creeps me out!

I’ve never liked “The Twelve Days of Christmas” but never really expressed it because I actually felt guilty not liking a traditional Christmas song. But the other night I was watching a movie with my family and one of the actors said, “I’ve always hated The Twelve Days of Christmas. It reminds me of a Christmas version of 100 Bottles of Beer on the Wall!” My whole family broke out into laughter! It’s true, it’s true," I exclaimed. “Now I know why I’ve always had such a visceral dislike of that song!”

For the most part, though, I love them all. I was in the mall the other night and heard Burl Ives singing “Holly Jolly Christmas” and I felt a rush of nostalgia that was wonderful in these secular days of “bah, humbug!” I smiled and thanked God for the little pleasures in life:D

I loathe Wonderful Christmastime. It's played incessantly and, as stated above, is truly insipid. That being said, it is infinitely better than Merry Xmas, War is Over. I'd prefer the war never end than have to listen to this song, or any of the covers of it. This is one of the very few Christmas songs that will cause me to turn off the radio. There are worse songs, though.

Jingle Bells by Barbara Streisand is proof that Satan exists. Only the Prince of Darkness could have come up with this atrocious arrangement.

Step Into Christmas by Elton John is just like Wonderful Christmastime, but with everything even remotely wonderful about it stripped out and replaced with everything that made people hate the 70's. However, it's Handel's Hallelujah Chorus compared to his less known Christmas song, (Ho! Ho! Ho!) Who'd Be a Turkey at Christmas.

All I Want for Christmas Is...to never hear Mariah Carey again.

There are some others I can't stand, but these are the really big ones.

[quote="Gordon_Sims, post:15, topic:267465"]
All I Want for Christmas Is...to never hear Mariah Carey again.

[/quote]

Ha! I've hated that one since the day it came out, and somehow it has entered the ranks of the "new classics" that you hear all the time. I don't get it. Then again the top selling Christmas album of the last 20 years is supposedly Kenny G. No accounting for popular taste I guess.

Worst Christmas song by an ex-Beatle?

"Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reggae" by Paul McCartney, the original B-side to "Having a Wonderful Christmastime". I kid you not.

I do kind of like McCartney's "Mull of Kintyre" for reasons I can't really explain.

Happy Christmas definitely!

As a kid I liked his voice and the tone the song is sung and never really noticed the lyrics too much, I still enjoy those two things but the lyrics just really grit my teeth with the fact that its a blatant anti-war song of the hippie variety. I think the worst part is the choir singing “War is over, if you want it” maybe because the protestors of the 60’s-70’s are the same ones who would spit on Vietnam vets and call them “Baby killers” I don’t want that kind of sentiment to be passed to Iraqi veterans.

Hi, sorry, not a Christmas song, but I just cannot stand it when people sing "Imagine" by the Beatles/John Lennon, in a religious setting. Just me. I'm curious to know about Christmas songs by an ex Beatle!

Love the Lennon tune.
Can't stand the Paul M one. Ouch! I cringe every time I hear it!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.