Worst Sin Ever

What is the worst sin ever? I have one in mind, but first would like to see if my “worst sin ever” conforms to what others and the Church would judge to be the supreme sin.

A Sin against the Holy Spirit.

I think it says so in the Bible.

I would interpert "a sin against the Holy Spirit"
as somone who knows the truth but willfully and fully denies it
for a false and heretical truth.

from what I understand, to blaspheme the holy spirit is the one unforgivable sin. don’t have a bible quote for you there. what I’ve heard that to blaspheme the holy spirit means to commit a sin and say that God cannot forgive that sin. not that he won’t, but that he CANNOT. saying your sin is greater than God. That’s what I’ve been taught.

This is not right.

Suggestion: read this page on the blaspheme the Holy Spirit:

newadvent.org/cathen/07409a.htm

part of the paragraph taken from the link above

So, to sin against the Holy Ghost is to confound Him with the spirit of evil, it is to deny, from pure malice, the Divine character of works manifestly Divine.

read part VIII.

and example of those who agains the Holy Spirit:

Acts 5: 4-10. talking about a couples were dead right in front of the apostles for lying and testing the Holy Spirit.

I don’t think such a comparison is spiritually healthy. It would be far more beneficial to confess our sins to the priest, receive absolution, take his counsel on avoiding further sin and do penance, and take steps to amend our lives. There is a reason confession is confidential and private.

I think that the worst sin ever is to believe that the sin is so horrid that even God will not forgive. In other words, not asking to be forgiven because we don’t have faith that God will gorgive. All sins are forgivable if we just ask and repent.

Love and peace,
Mom of 5

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the worst sin.
However, it isn’t what most think it is at first-thought.
Remember, if we say anything against God, and God is a Trinity, then we have spoken against the Father, the Son, AND the Holy Spirit, too. Yet blasphemy is forgivable.
Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit refers to a person who has become so hardened in sin, in spite of the Holy Spirit’s attempting to change him, that he becomes dead to the Holy Spirit’s promptings and even maliciously opposes them.
That is final impenitence, for such a person rejects the very grace of the Holy Spirit which would lead him to repent if he would only respond positively to that grace.

Which is why the sin against the Holy Spirit is never forgiven. Its not because it can’t be forgiven, but because somone who has rejected the Holy Spirit permanently could never repent anyway.

Satan for example.

How long is a piece of string ? Same answer. the degree of one’s guilt depends on how much light one has to sin against - the material act, is not what is decisive; it’s one element in a sin, of several.

The Church has no way of knowing, as the Church cannot read hearts or consciences. In any case, the Church is the sum of its members - it is not separate from them.

Jaypeeto4

So far yours is for me the best answer. If we sin so as to lose our own souls, that is the worst possible sin. Lack of a loving and penitent relationship with God at the last moment of life is the most damning thing we can do to ourselves. The Bible says so, and it is a healthy thing to say and hear.

2nd Timothy Chapter 2

“If we have died with him
we shall also live with him;
if we persevere
we shall also reign with him.
But if we deny him
he will deny us.

And of course, what is the first and greatest commandment from the lips of Jesus? Doesn’t it follow that the violation of the greatest commandment must be worst sin ever?

This is a very questionable statement. The Bible says a lot of things, some of them utterly barbaric.

Is it not living in sin to pick and choose which parts of the Bible to follow and which parts to disregard. If it truly is divinely inspired, then you are questioning God by not following it to the letter.

Puzzle Annie is correct. It is kind of a fruitless quest to look for the greatest sin ever. In my book it would be whichever one lands your fanny in hell.

How about deocide, the killing of God? (i.e. the Crucifixion of Jesus)

Whew…

RichP

How about deocide, the killing of God? (i.e. the Crucifixion of Jesus)

Can God be killed? God can certainly be killed in our minds and in our hearts. Atheists do it all the time.

Certainly this is the sin most likely to land us in hell if we do not repent. Anyone who doesn’t think so, disagrees with Jesus who said the first and most important commandment is to love the Lord with all our minds and our hearts. To disagree with Jesus is to put one’s own pride above God’s truth … and thereby to commit the one sin that is unforgivable … the sin against the Holy Spirit.

Yes, other sins may also land us in hell if we do not repent. That should not stop us from acknowledging that hatred of God, or even the very idea of God, is the greatest crime against God. But it is by this sin most of all that we drag others down with us … that we excuse every other evil because there is no one to say what is right and what is wrong but our own convenient inner “demon.” So we drag ourselves down and others with us by sinning against belief.

Not really, because the Church interprets the bible and then decides what specifically to follow (literally). They have been given such authority.

Also, many of the things you might consider barbaric are mere customs and diciplines, not moral doctrine. We follow the moral law from the Old Law, and most everything (including dicipline) in the New Testament.

And also, you’re on a religious forum about the “worst sin ever”, the bible is considered a valid source and is, a priori, infallible. I suppose you could start another topic discussing that. But, for the time being, the question is what is the worst sin ever and why, not the authenticity of the Bible or our following of it.

I thought the only unforgivable sin, was to credit others with what Jesus did.

R McGeddon

I thought the only unforgivable sin, was to credit others with what Jesus did.

If you’re really interested in Catholic theology, talk to a priest. Better yet, enroll in an RCIA program and ask some questions. At the prison where I volunteer we have one Protestant in RCIA. He attends not to become Catholic, but to learn about Catholicism. First by learning, rather than pretending to know more than Catholics about their theology, he has come to respect us in a way he never could before according to a recent note I got from him.

GOSPEL OF MATTHEW

“Therefore, I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven; but whoever speaks against the holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.”

Easy…the worst sin ever is any mortal sin as you lose your sactifying grace. The means by which you lost that grace become a bit irrelevent as net result is the same.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.