Worst Wedding Reception Songs Ever

I did a search and saw this thread which focused on music that folks didn’t like during the wedding ceremony, but I wanted to have a thread just devoted to the worst songs you could hear – or ever DID hear – at a wedding reception.

We shouted down a DJ who tried to play “50 Ways To Leave Your Lover” at a Catholic reception.

Hearsay: I heard that one couple’s first dance song was “Torn Between Two Lovers.”

And not inappropriate, but can there be just ONE reception that doesn’t have Kool and the Gang’s “Celebration”? (Although I guess it’s more appropriate than “Ladies’ Night” or “Misled”, no?)

Others?

“Havin’ My Baby”

Once I attended a wedding reception where they played U2’s “Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” And yes, the couple has since divorced.

Ouch. Even if that were true, that’s still tacky!

I think it was Tammy Wynette who sang that song ‘D.I.V.O.R.C.E’ :eek:

I nominate Meatloaf’s --“Two out of Three Ain’t Bad”.

(Did I say I have played for a LOT of weddings?)

The Carly Simon hit, “That’s The Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be”

But you say it’s time we moved in together
And raised a family of our own, you and me
Well, that’s the way I’ve always heard it should be
You want to marry me, we’ll marry

My friends from college they’re all married now
They have their houses and their lawns
They have their silent noons
Tearful nights, angry dawns
Their children hate them for the things they’re not
They hate themselves for what they are
And yet they drink, they laugh
Close the wound, hide the scar

But you say it’s time we moved in together
Well, that’s the way I’ve always heard it should be

You say we can keep our love alive
Babe, all I know is what I see
The couples cling and claw
And drown in love’s debris
You say we’ll soar like two birds through the clouds
But soon you’ll cage me on your shelf
I’ll never learn to be just me first
By myself

Well O.K., it’s time we moved in together
Well, that’s the way I’ve always heard it should be,
We’ll marry

THAT is a depressing song.

I guess with the recent death of singer Don Ho…it brings to mind a wedding I went to where the song “Tiny Bubbles” was played. Could never figure that one out…LOL;)

:heart:Blys

Clarence Carter’s Strokin

With line dance to match song!

Feelings
What’s Love got to do with it
Our house

Rolling Stones’ “Under My Thumb.” (my husband wanted this at our reception 28 years ago – I HOPE he was joking!) :smiley:

'thann

Shania Twain’s Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under?, and
James Brown’s Get on up, I feel like a sex machine…

Salt ‘n’ Pepa’s “Push It” :eek:

“Let’s Get It On” (played as the couple was leaving for the honeymoon… accompanied by hoots and whistles:eek: )

There are probably others, but I can’t remember them all now, except for the last BIG wedding I attended when the time came for the tossing of the bouquet and garter… the DJ played “Ladies’ Night” for the women and “Who Let the Dogs Out?” for the men :eek: :eek: :eek: !

And this one was playing on the radio during the months right before MY wedding, in 1974.

No, we didn’t have this played at the reception – and yes, we are still married!! :yup: :love:

:slight_smile: I just participated in a wedding this weekend where there were 2 songs on the “banned list” and that was one of them. I’ll have to think and see if I can remember the other.

The Star Spangled Banner

Yep, all those songs just ooze of pure class :nope:

A few years ago, I went to a wedding reception where the most tasteless, yuckky music was played throughout the whole reception. I felt dirty by the time I left. I’m a pretty easy going person, but yea, I was offended.

And that’s coming from a person who grew up in the age of AC/DC, etc. Yuk.

1st story

My wife told me that a woman she worked with chose the song “Superfreak” for her wedding.

Part of the song goes:

She’s a freaky kind of girl
The kind you don’t bring home to mother

2nd story

The DJ at my older brothers wedding got the banned song list and the request list mixed up and played every single banned song.

I think my sister-in-law didn’t want to create a scene by making him stop, but she was not happy.

3rd story

My wife is Portuguese and at every Portuguese wedding I’ve been to, including my own, they play a song whose refrain translates:

Can I smell your codfish Maria

Luckily, those are the only words I understand.

My 2 cents

Personally, my least favorite wedding song is the Chicken Song. It is the stupidest song in the universe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.