Worthy of being a Eurcharist Minister?

A few years ago, my and my husband’s previous marriages were determined invalid by the Catholic Church. Recently, we were married at our local parish. I have also been commissioned to be an Extraordinary Minister of the Eucharist (Eucharistic Minister) at my parish.

My question has to do with what other people think of me as a Eucharistic Minister and receiving communion from me. My husband and I fell in love with each other before he was separated from his ex. Even though we didn’t know how the other felt until after their separation, we did start dating before his divorce was final and (obviously) before he received declarations of nullity. We are both remorseful about this and have both confessed this sin. However, there are several people in our community who know of how our relationship began from his ex-wife. I don’t know of any fellow parishioners who know about it, but I couldn’t say for sure. I truly believe my husband and I are forgiven and washed of our sin through the blood of Jesus Christ, but am I doing a bad thing by being a Eucharistic Minister? Does my marriage to my husband somehow hamper my ability to be a Eucharistic Minister?

No. If you are in a valid marriage, and not in a state of mortal sin, and your parish permits you to serve as an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion (which is a more appropriate title than “Eucharistic Minister,” although many parishes still use that name), then that’s fine.

I will note that some people prefer to receive Holy Communion from a priest (that is the case for me.) If I can discreetly get into the priest’s line I will do so. My husband often switches lines because he is so tall, so receiving from a short person can be very awkward for him. So a person may be in your line, and may switch to the priest or another EMHC, for one reason or another. It will not mean that they are judging you. If, however, you can’t shake the idea that they might be, you might want to choose another ministry, at least for the time being.

Well, worthiness is not a question because women cannot be Eucharistic ministers. Only men can.

However, I don’t see any impediment to you being an Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion, so as long as you are in a valid marriage and in good standing with the Church.

You are not a Eucharistic Minister. The priest is the Eucharistic Minister. Lay people cannot be that. You are an EMHC (Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion) which is NOT a Eucharistic Minister. The reason that the formal name was changed from Extraordinary Minister of Holy Eucharist to Extraordinary Minister of Holy Communion is for the very reason that people thought they were Eucharistic Ministers and the Church wanted to make it clear EMHC’s are not Eucharistic Ministers.

I am sure you have been to confession and repented from your actions… If you have then there is only one question to ask yourself… If God has forgiven you why do you concern yourself with the thoughts of mere humans? They simply do not matter…

We are all sinners. God has forgiven you. Isn’t it funny how we are so hard on ourselves when God has been so loving… Thinking that others opinions are more important than God’'s is easy to do… stick with God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.