Would a Muslim be allowed to pray the Our Father?

And would a Christian be allowed to pray the first Sura?

Hello,

What is ‘’ The our Father’’ prayer?

Best regards,

Meedo

The 12 asked Christ how we are to pray and He replied:

“Our Father who art in Heaven,
hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on
Earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we
forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us also from evil.
Amen.”

In Arabic (just if your curious. I think it sounds neat.)

No; of the many titles Muslims accord God, Father is not one of them. They do not see God to be a Father of anyone.

regarding the Our Father, i don’t see why not when Jesus’ words as reported by Matthew are put in Muhammad’s mouth:

Narrated AbudDarda’:
I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say: If any of you is suffering from anything or his brother is suffering, he should say: Our Lord is Allah Who is in the heaven, holy is Thy name, Thy command reigns supreme in the heaven and the earth, as Thy mercy in the heaven, make Thy mercy in the earth; forgive us our sins, and our errors; Thou art the Lord of good men; send down mercy from Thy mercy, and remedy, and remedy from Thy remedy on this pain so that it is healed up. (Sunan Abu Dawud, Book 28, Number 3883)

Of course he changed father into Allah but other than that it is pretty similar.

As to al fatiha of the Quran:

The Opening

1:1 In the name of God, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful:

1:2 Praise be to God, the Lord of the Universe.

1:3 The Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

1:4 King of the Day of Judgment.

1:5 You alone we worship, and You alone we ask for help

1:6 Guide us to the straight way;

1:7 The way of those whom you have blessed, not of those who have deserved anger, nor of those who stray.

till 1:5 i see no problem with it

btw i heard an Arab theologian who said that the opening of the fatoha was used by Arab Christians before Islam.While searching for it, i read that Most gracious in Arabic is Rahman with its root Rahm (womb).And if Christians used it, it was about Jesus the eternally begotten of the Father.
As to Rahim, it is an attribute of the Holy Spirit that God sends to console all believers.

after 1:5 i read Muhammad’s dislike to Jews and Christians.

My response would be no. For the following reason:

We are made children of God through our baptism. Islam doesn’t baptize in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit.

They are not born again with water and the Spirit.

CCC 2790
Grammatically, “our” qualifies a reality common to more than one person. There is only one God, and he is recognized as Father by those who, through faith in his only Son, are reborn of him by water and the Spirit. The Church is this new communion of God and men. United with the only Son, who has become “the firstborn among many brethren,” she is in communion with one and the same Father in one and the same Holy Spirit. In praying “our” Father, each of the baptized is praying in this communion: “The company of those who believed were of one heart and soul.”

CCC 2791
For this reason, in spite of the divisions among Christians, this prayer to “our” Father remains our common patrimony and an urgent summons for all the baptized. In communion by faith in Christ and by Baptism, they ought to join in Jesus’ prayer for the unity of his disciples.

i dont see a a problem. We can understand father metaphorically.

For Muslims to pray the Our Father, or for Hindus to go to Fatima, would be two more signs of the tendency of Catholicism in particular, & Christianity in general, to become part of an omni-religious soup.

This prayer, like that shrine, have no meaning outside of Christianity - which is how one can be sure that “Our Lady of all Nations”, & Medjugorge, are deceits of the evil one, if they are not men’s delusions.

Christianity is divisive, because Jesus Christ is the only Saviour - there is no other, nor can be, nor has been, nor will be, nor could be. If that prayer does not have its full Christian meaning, it is a mockery - because God is our Father only through our adoption into His family through the Person, Work, & in short, the Mediation, of His Son Jesus Christ. IOW, our sonship in the Son is impossible apart from that Son, through Whom we have received the Spirit of adoption. That is the Father God is, & the Son that Jesus Christ is, & the Spirit that the Holy Spirit is.

Because Muslims are not baptised into the Name of the Blessed Trinity, they are no more Christians, in that sense, than Mormons are. Obviously it is possible for God to be gracious to them even so, & to do His Will through them: no one has to be aware of Who God is, for Him to be the Saviour - but that is not the same as for them to be baptised in the Name of the Blessed Trinity.

I don’t think a Muslim could pray the our father as Christians pray it. We call God father because of our union with Jesus who we believe to be the only begotten eternal son of the eternal father. We have a personal son/daughter relation with the Father because the Son became man. To a Muslim to call God father in any but a figurative way would be blasphemous to them because they do not accept the trinity, do not believe Jesus divine, and see God as the supreme being to approach with reverent awe and grateful submission, not filial love. I’d like to know from Muslims if this accurately describes their feelings.

Heh he he he heh… :slight_smile:

Who “allows” Christians to do things in the realm of praying?

Who “allows” Catholics to do things in the realm of praying?

Could the answers to these questions be different?

Hmmmm…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.