Would God be ethical to bless someone with something with which they would later sin?

Salvete, omnes!

Would it be ethical for God actively (or at least passively, but with assent) to bless someone with something with which that person would later sin? For instance, could God theoretically bless someone with material wealth even though He knew that they would later be greedy with it in some way?

Would His blessing them be so that they might experience His Goodness through, say, that material wealth, even though they might later do ill with it? Could this justify God either actively or passively with assent still going ahead and blessing a person with material wealth? Do you think that God does sometimes, or, in fct, very often, do this or things related to it?

Or, rather, would God doing such be in some way contributing directly enough to a person’s sin? I mean, if God already knew that a person would do ill with material blessings, would He not be contributing to a person’s sin by actively or passively with positive assent providing them? Or, rather, would the contribution to their sin be indirect enough so as to allow ethically for God actively or passively with assent to bless a person with material wealth even though He knew that they would ultimately do sinful things with it? Would the material good that the person would accrue be sufficient reason for God to do this even though there would also be bad coming out of it?

Or, rather, does God simply passively allow (but without positive assent) for some who become wealthy to become wealthy, even though He does not actively assent to or support it? However, isn’t there some theological opinion out there that God, even when passively allowing for something, still at all times must in some way positively actively assent to it for whatever reasons(s)?

Still, even if the above is the case, could one ethically argue that God might actively bless someone with material wealth even though He knows that they will get greedy with it (i.e., that some evil/sin will ultimately come of it)? Might some even argue that He does, in fact, do this from Scriptural, traditional or other evidence?

I mean, I think the key here is that God presumably knows the future and how doing X or Y will turn out for a person, even before (to us) it happens, whereas we do not know this so, ifw e bless someone in some way, we do not know how they will react, so we are fine ethically with it. The problem comes if God does this, even though He knows how someone will react.

Or, rather, again, does God leave our own reactions up to us? Even though He knows what they will be, He places the responsibility for our sin on us ultimately and perhaps His blessing us is remote enough from the actual sin that would result that God can ethically bless eve someone who might sin with that blessing?

Maybe God is so Loving (?) to us that He permits us still to enjoy the positive blessings of, sya, material wealth, even though He knows that, in whatever way, to whatever extent, we might sin with it?

What do folks think of all this?

Gratias.

On the face of it, this question seems very straightforward. After all, God blesses us with life itself, and gives us the blessing of free will, and then we do with it as we choose – either giving glory to God by our actions, or sinning.

It doesn’t seem like a tough question: was there something more to it that you were pondering?

Please forgive me if this comes across as rude; that’s not my intention. However, I haven’t read your post, just the title alone is enough for me to feel I need to share this:

God can NOT be unethical. Not even a remote possibility.

Don’t invest any more time or energy into the thought.

I wonder from a scan (and length) of your post if you shouldn’t explore finding a spiritual director who can help avoid scruples and unwarranted concerns. I just get the sense that you have worries and anxieties from your posts, and the Lord doesn’t want that for us. Scripture says over 50 times that we need not worry, and in Mass, we hear the priest pray, “Deliver us, Lord, …that by the help of your mercy, we may be always free from sin and safe from all distress”. Distress = anxiety and needless worry

I pray for your peace.

I see your point, but I believe that you’re missing the biggest thing that He gives us that “lets” us sin in the first place: Free will. With free will, we sin with all the other stuff we have. We already believe that He gives us free will because He doesn’t want mindless robots; He wants brothers and sisters, friends, not slaves. So, the key question; is He “ethical” to bless us with the exact thing that caused * the downfall of the entire human race?* I believe He is, because He is a loving God, and He loves us so much, He gives us that freedom to choose. It is not His “ethics” that are a problem; it’s ours. :slight_smile:

As I understand, our standards of ethics are not to be applied to God.

Is that the case?

God gives us many things that can be used for good or evil. Someone gifted with an understanding of science may eliminate a deadly disease or invent a deadly weapon. The weapon, for that matter, could be used to kill innocent people or to protect them from an evil aggressor. A writer can write books that promote either love or hate. A knife could be used to prepare dinner or to commit a crime.

One could come up with any number of examples, and they have one thing in common: human nature. So the problem is not in the gift but in the way it is used. We choose.

God’s standards should be applied to ours.

Miss Misty,
Would it be ethical for parents to give their college-bound son a car knowing he could use it as a get-away car in a bank robbery?

It is very simple. God doesn’t do anything unethical. I wish all ethical questions were so simple.

God blessed David even though the King had sinned grievously later on. Our sins do not render God’s Graces as long as we can come to repentance. God is always blessing us despite our many sins. Even when we sinned as bad as David this God has this rich treasury of mercy available for us. Every sinner has this right to His Mercy so why would not God bless us. Of course He is not going to bless the sin but He will take care of it which you think about it is a blessing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.