Would God condemn the soul of an atheist who died in grave sin but otherwise had an upright heart?

No, that’s not a “baptism of desire”. Rather, it’s God extending salvific grace to a person, upon their death, out of His mercy.

You just can’t give up the mistaken idea that there’s a personal pronoun in extra ecclesiam nulla salus, can you? “Outside the church there is no salvation” DOES NOT ADDRESS PEOPLE. It addresses salvation. It does not point to where a person can be found; it points to where salvation can be found. In the Church. Alone.

So, a person – whether a member of the Church, or in imperfect communion with the Church, or outside the communion of the Church – still is saved through the Church, regardless of his status with respect to the Church. That’s all that EENS asserts.

You’re the one making the false assertion that it speaks of a person’s status with respect to the Church. And, in doing so, you’re misinterpreting the doctrine. That’s why our assertions seem nonsensical to you: it’s because you’re misunderstanding what EENS, and therefore, your misunderstanding doesn’t jive with the implications of the doctrine. :man_shrugging:

This! :+1:

If God were to do something evil and simply call it ‘good’, then He would be contradicting His very nature: God is all-good; not simply by His ‘definition’, but by the truth of what ‘good’ means. @PapyrusDouay, you’re conflating ‘license’ with ‘omnipotence’. God is all-powerful, but that does not mean that He contradicts His own nature. :man_shrugging:

Ok. I was wrong.

Not quite,

After death we can NO-LONGER into the Church; only Heaven Purgatory or Hell; but you’re point is valid: it is through the MERITS of Jesus THROUGH His One True Faith & Church that this is even a remote possibility for those outside Her Embrace in their lifetimes.

I’m not fully grasping your point. SORRY

God Bless you

Patrick

You missed my point entirely.

[quote=“Gorgias, post:84, topic:460143”]
@PapyrusDouay, you’re conflating ‘license’ with ‘omnipotence’. God is all-powerful, but that does not mean that He contradicts His own nature
[/quote

I could very well be, thanks

No I didn’t. Why do you think God is called “He who can neither deceive nor be deceived”?

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.