Would god need to start over again?

So, I’ve been reading old testament. God has chosen Abraham to be the starting point 8m molding a people to fulfill his grand design which will ultimately culminate in our salvation through Christ. From exodus through judges (where I am currently at) God is constantly testing the Israelites. Molding them. Pushing them to the limit and trading the limits of their faith in him. They always pulled through in the end and he would save themqh. I was wondering what would happen if they did not pull through and God decided they were no longer holding up their end of the covenant and no longer worthy of their designation as his chosen people. Would he have to start over again in molding a people . Pick a new “Abraham”, make a new covenant and start over again to try to set things up the way he wants?

God threatened to start over again several times. There are many examples. One is below.

now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may burn hot against them and I may consume them; but of you I will make a great nation." (Exodus 32:10)

Moses interceded and reminded God of the covenant with Abraham.

Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, thy servants, to whom thou didst swear by thine own self, and didst say to them, `I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven, and all this land that I have promised I will give to your descendants, and they shall inherit it for ever.’" And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do to his people. (Exodus 32:14)

A covenant is a promise. God does not go back on his promises.

-Tim-

What do you mean by “trading the limits of their faith” that I highlighted in your post above?

I don’t think that God tested the Israelites as much as they continually fell short of the requirements of the covenant on their own. If Israel “pulled through in the end” it was God who did the pulling.

Israel repeated the cycle of sin --> servitude --> supplication --> salvation over and over.

Their sin led to servitude to their conquerors and captors. They humbled themselves and were saved by God. Each time they became comfortable, pride set in and they sinned. The cycle repeated.

-Tim-

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.