Would I ever be able to receive the Eucharist?

First - please let me state that I am not a full-fledged Catholic yet. I have only the sacrament of Baptism, and my exploration of the Church is slow going at the moment :frowning:

Okay - On to my question / hypothetical Situation.

My husband is not Christian, but rather a pagan with an intense aversian to most anything Christian. He’s not anti-Christian, but he’s just not comfortable in churches and doesn’t “GET” why anyone would be Christian. Obviously, we were not married in the Catholic Church.

My concern is that should I come fully into the church, that I would not ever be able to receive the eucharist and that I would be seen as “living in sin” with my husband. I am certain that he would not convert in order for our union to be blessed by the Church.

As potentially goofy and paranoid as this may sound, this is a very real concern that I know is partially holding me back. I would truly appreciate any input and guidence on this.

Thanks for your time :slight_smile:

~Jessica

Dear Jessica,

If neither of you had ever been married before, then the Church would recognize your marriage as valid. Since he was never baptized, the marriage would not be sacramental, but it would be valid.

You can’t become a Catholic unless you are going to be able to live your commitment. But you would have nothing to worry about.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.