Would it be a sin to break out of prison

I am curious. If an innocent man is convicted of murder, like Andy Dufrain who was convicted of killing his wife and her lover, would it be a sin to break out of prison?

I just watched the movie, and was just thinking about it.

I have a hard time finding fault with Andy-- although considering what else was going on in his life it’s difficult to abstract a moral principle from his case.

I guess it would probably depend on

1. Why you were innocent of the crime- technicality or just plain “you got the wrong guy”?
  2. Any specific circumstances of your prison life that make it better or worse for you.
  3. The danger to other people and property posed by your escape attempt
  4. The probability of success
  5. The likelihood of your getting to stay free after escaping.

I would say yes. God tells us that people have been put into authority in our goverment and we are to obey as long as it doesnt go against what God says. I was just thinking of the appostles who were falsely accused and put into prison.They came out because God opened the doors. Okay so it took an earthquake. :smiley:

I suppose if I was Walter Ciszek in Russia and had a chance to split, I’d go for it.

Saint Peter broke out with the help of an Angel!

I’d say that it is not the fact one is in prison, but the reason for the imprisonment that is important in making such a decision.

Of course, one should not commit an evil in trying to escape. St Peter and St Paul would never have harmed a jailer, they would rather have accepted their fate.

[quote=Hesychios]I suppose if I was Walter Ciszek in Russia and had a chance to split, I’d go for it.

Saint Peter broke out with the help of an Angel!

I’d say that it is not the fact one is in prison, but the reason for the imprisonment that is important in making such a decision.

Of course, one should not commit an evil in trying to escape. St Peter and St Paul would never have harmed a jailer, they would rather have accepted their fate.
[/quote]

Not only that, to break out of jail just because you were placed there for doing what was right for Jesus’ sake is like fleeing from martyrdom., if not persecution. St. Paul didn’t escape from jail when he was earmarked to be beheaded (pardon the pun) on Nero’s orders. as for the earthquake, it wouldn’t be surprising the it too was also caused by God.

Perhaps it might be a consideration if you were the sole reasonable support for a sick mother or invalid child. Its not like you will be able to earn a ton of money in jail and send the money out to hire good home nursing.

I think it definitely is a consideration if you would need to endanger a guard or fellow inmate to escape.

[quote=777]Not only that, to break out of jail just because you were placed there for doing what was right for Jesus’ sake is like fleeing from martyrdom., if not persecution. St. Paul didn’t escape from jail when he was earmarked to be beheaded (pardon the pun) on Nero’s orders. as for the earthquake, it wouldn’t be surprising the it too was also caused by God.
[/quote]

Poor Paul he sent to prison and gets stuck for years. Peter gets sent to prison and the whole church prays for his release and he’s set free by angels. Oh well he was the first Pope. This proves it! He got special perks the other apostles didn’t get mainly the ever valuable get out of jail free card. Of course even Peter proved his worth when he was crucified upside down for his faith. The thing here it is all the Lord’s will we must follow if you are meant to be free He will provide the way if not we must accept our faith while at the same time fight for justice and truth to be known.

In the Shawshank Redemption context I would say that it is not a sin because it’s a justice issue. Only someone who has no real idea of what goes on in prisons would unequivocally say it was wrong to remain in that hell w/o being guilty to begin with.

[quote=jimmy]I am curious. If an innocent man is convicted of murder, like Andy Dufrain who was convicted of killing his wife and her lover, would it be a sin to break out of prison?

I just watched the movie, and was just thinking about it.
[/quote]

It is a difficult moral question but I guess if one truly innocent man is able to escape from jail but without committing another crime in the act of escaping, like killing or maiming a prison guard or another inmate, perhaps he can be excused.

Gerry :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.