Would it be a sin to play the role of a priest in theater/film

I am currently writing a screenplay. Two teens enjoy their summer before real life sets in.

Now in the screenplay, a major plot point is the need to find a drummer for their rock band. They find one, but he dies. They find another one, but he also dies.

For the second one, there's about 10 seconds of a funeral Mass. Like many screenwriters (Zoe Kazan, Quentin Tarantino), I wrote a small role for myself as an offscreen priest presiding the Mass. Realistically, I'd only be saying an Our Father. It'd be very brief.

Would it be sinful? I assume that due to the nature of the film (think romantic comedy, i.e. 500 Days of Summer, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Nick & Norah, Ruby Sparks, etc.) I could not find an actual Catholic priest.

[quote="VanSensei, post:1, topic:322092"]
I am currently writing a screenplay. Two teens enjoy their summer before real life sets in.

Now in the screenplay, a major plot point is the need to find a drummer for their rock band. They find one, but he dies. They find another one, but he also dies.

For the second one, there's about 10 seconds of a funeral Mass. Like many screenwriters (Zoe Kazan, Quentin Tarantino), I wrote a small role for myself as an offscreen priest presiding the Mass. Realistically, I'd only be saying an Our Father. It'd be very brief.

Would it be sinful? I assume that due to the nature of the film (think romantic comedy, i.e. 500 Days of Summer, Perks of Being a Wallflower, Nick & Norah, Ruby Sparks, etc.) I could not find an actual Catholic priest.

[/quote]

Where on earth did you get the idea that it could possibly be sinful?

Countless films have been made where actors play priests, you mist have seen at least some. There is no possibility that such a minor role which in no way portrays the priesthood badly could be sinful.

Unless the priest was portrayed in a sinful way, with the intent of making all priests look bad, then no.

:thumbsup:

If it were sinful, how much more sinful would it be for an actor to play the part of one of the saints. Or Jesus. We would not be unable to make any films with any religious characters at all.

No, it’s not intrinsically sinful. Certainly there are instancees where it could be a sin depending upon the way the character is written. But that does not seem to be the case with the scene you have described.

It's fine, but just make sure you aren't portraying the priest in an inappropriate way. It's perfectly fine to assume a religious role as long as it's respectful towards the pious nature of that person. Jim Cavizel's role as Jesus in The Passion of the Christ is one of my favorites.

Good luck and God bless!

[quote="VanSensei, post:1, topic:322092"]

[/quote]

Permitted as long as it contributes positively, is inspirational, and does not create aspertions.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.