Would it be a sin?

would it be a sin if i convert to the orthodox church??? not converting just asking…

If you were convinced that the Orthodox Church were the true church, it would be a sin NOT to.

Hi Cluny!

Insert Islam for the Orthodox Church …would you feel the same way? I dont think that being convinced of something means one has found the truth neccessarily which is what is being assumed here.

If I was convinced the Orthodox Church was the true Church and I chose to remain Catholic regardless of my doubts I may likely feel that I am going against what I believe and consider it a sin…but would I be correct in thinking that? However if the true Church is in fact the Catholic Church then my leaving would be a sin due to ignorance and poor research :slight_smile: and probably complacency. Just my 2c worth

Peace and Blessings

Yes, converts to Orthodoxy are ignorant and poor researchers. :rolleyes: Here, take a penny back… even better, keep them both.

**Insert Islam for the Orthodox Church …would you feel the same way? **

Of course not. That’s because there is no real Jesus in Islam, and therefore no salvation, because they don’t believe in the REAL God.

And because they don’t believe in the real God, there is no truth in it.

Only if you know the Catholic Church was the True Church and was necessary for salvation. The “no salvation outside the Catholic Church” rule only applies to someone who knows the Catholic Church possesses the truth, yet refuses to remain united to Her.

I was speaking for myself as a Catholic. In no way did I mean to infer that anyone that converts to Orthodoxy is ignorant etc etc. Sorry if that’s how it came across.

Is this an Orthodox belief or personal opinion? As a Catholic we dont get a choice but to believe that Muslims believe in the same God. I had to change my personal opinion to comply with the teaching of the Church. Unfortunately for Muslims their knowledge is distorted because of their uncompromising belief in their false prophet Mohammad.

Here is the truth:

First Vatican Council
SESSION 3
Chapter 3

1. Consequently,
    • the situation of those, who
      o by the heavenly gift of faith
    • have embraced the catholic truth,
    • is by no means the same as that of those who,
      o led by human opinions,
    • follow a false religion;
    • for those who have accepted the faith under the guidance of the church can never have any just cause for changing this faith or for calling it into question.

[quote=imasinner]Unfortunately for Muslims their knowledge is distorted because of their uncompromising belief in their false prophet Mohammad.
[/quote]

Christians, Jews, and Muslims all worship the same God. Its how we worship him that makes us different. I said this on another thread before. The big turning point between Christians, Jews, and Muslims is not Mohammed, its Ishmael and Isaac. We are all followers of the God of Abraham. I’m not gonna type a long essay dealing with the differences and the similarites, but if you want to know ask me or make a new thread.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.