Would it be bad to be multi-denominational?

Who’s this directed to?

You seem to have missed the glaring historical fact that the Catholic Church is the original, New Testament, full Gospel, Christian faith and that there is no such thing as a “catholic organisation” but simply the same church that began 2,000 years ago and has functioned, in spite of human failings, while offering the self same Gospel that Our Blessed Lord Jesus Christ and the Apostles did.

I cannot tell you with 100% certainty who will and will not be in Heaven and the Catholic Church does not presume to. Nor can you, regardless of your beliefs. What may actually be the truly saddening thing is that so many people may well have been grossly misled as to the authentic Gospel and it may put those poor souls in jeopardy.
See Who REALLY Preaches “A Different Gospel”?

Personal beliefs aren’t what we need to follow; that would be loving God on OUR terms, not HIS.

Anyways, I was wondering if it would be okay (or even possible?) to be both Catholic and Protestant? as in attend mass sometimes, and other services other times?

Well, our belief is that, barring some impediment such as sickness, we are to attend Mass each “Lord’s Day.” We believe it is a sin to miss weekly Mass for no good reason. So, no, you can’t be a Catholic in good standing and miss Mass “sometimes” to attend protestant services.

i personally agree with some things Catholics say, and some things Protestants say.

I agree with some things Protestants say, as well. Where they agree with the Catholic Church, they have some of the Truth.

Another concern i have is the sex abuse in the Catholic Church. I understand it was a small minority, and that they’re really strict on that now, however, recently a high official (guru) in my previous Hindu group was involved in a sex abuse scandal, and one of the main points i made to my parents about why their religion is unholy was the scandal. anyways, i feel like i’ll be a hypocrite by committing to an organization that the media has shown negatively due to the sex abuses (which will not convince my parents).

You need to understand that Jesus predicted that, in His Kingdom, there would be weeds AND tares; clean fish and waste brought up in the nets. So, there will be sinners in the Church until the Final Judgement.

Don’t leave Peter because of Judas.

i also disagree with some Catholic teachings such as it’s the only real Church

That’s a historical fact. You can disagree with history, but that won’t change it. :wink:

, and the importance of the Eucharist today etc.

Hmmm … do you believe that it IS Christ’s Body, Blood, Soul, & Divinity?
If so, how could you have a problem with the importance we place on it?

however, i view these as minor issues, and believe the Church is one (composed of all Christians-whether Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox etc)

In a certain sense, that is true.

So, does that mean we DON’T even need to “accept Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior?” Or is that a requirement, something we need to do?

Sorry, but you’re demonstrably wrong. For instance, your #10 would not consider ANY of the others to be full Christians so long as they hold Sunday to be the day of worship.

is CHRIST not the fullness of truth?

Yes. And His Body on earth teaches that Truth.

You’ve got to follow the logical Law of Non-Contradiction.

When any two beliefs contradict each other, at most ONE can be true.
That means the other (or both) do not contain the “fullness of Truth.” Since Christ is, as you’ve stated, the fullness of Truth, that means that at least ONE doesn’t proclaim Christ.

Important video to watch:
youtube.com/watch?v=MZ5tEzXxSvs

XD1993 #1
i believe …as long as you love God and love your neighbor, you’re saved. so, would it be a sin or bad to be multi-denominational?

Isn’t it time to really listen to Christ. Please see below.

lantheria #4
i’m at a total loss as to how a professing christian could assert, as you just did, to:

• believers not being saved;
  • salvation having human requirements; and
  • christ not having done the work for us.

As pointed out already no one is “saved” by being Christian or anything else. Christ redeemed us by His Passion, and Crucifixion. You only have to heed St Paul:
As Hebrews 10:26 confirms: “If we go on sinning willfully, when once the full knowledge of truth has been granted to us, we have no further sacrifice for sin to look forward to; nothing but a terrible expectation of judgment, a fire that will eagerly consume the rebellious.”

“But I chastise my body, and bring it into subjection lest perhaps, when I have preached to others, I myself should become a castaway.” (1Cor 9:27). And again: “Wherefore he who thinks that he stands, let him take heed lest he fall.” (1 Cor 10:12). Yet again, “And we exhort you not to receive the grace of God in vain.” (2 Cor 6:1).

Why should anyone doubt St Paul? “I fill up in my flesh what is still lacking in regard to Christ’s afflictions, for the sake of His Body which is the Church.” (Col. 1:24). What is lacking in Christ’s suffering is precisely what only we can do – take up our cross and suffer, repent and ask forgiveness, following the dictates of our conscience. We see here that Christ’s Catholic Church (the Bride of Christ) is His Mystical Body through whom all salvation comes.

is CHRIST not the fullness of truth?

To postulate that Christ is “the fullness of truth” and then not to follow Him as He mandated is the epitome of myopia.
Christ expressly established His Church and explicitly made four promises to Peter alone:
“You are Peter and on this rock I will build My Church.” (Mt 16:18)
“The gates of hell will not prevail against it.”(Mt 16:18)
I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.” ( Mt 16:19)
“Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven.” (Mt 16:19) [Later to the Twelve].

Sole authority:
“Strengthen your brethren.” (Lk 22:32)
“Feed My sheep.”(Jn 21:17).

“And there are also many other things that Jesus did, which if they were written one by one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.’ (Jn 21:25).

1. Never did Jesus command any of His Apostles to write anything, but to go and teach under the Primacy of St Peter.
  2. It is only through His Church that anyone can have the Sacred Scriptures to mangle or to lead them to Christ’s Church.
  3. The result of private interpretation has been tens of thousands of differing and confused “interpretations” among those outside of His Church.

Of course Christ established His Church, which defined what books are the inspired Word of God, no more nor less. Only She has the authority to interpret what She has given the world.

thanks for the answers everyone.

like i said earlier, one of the biggest things stopping me from choosing a single denomination is everyone bashing each other on their beliefs. like Jesus said in Mark 9:38-41

“38 John said to him, “Teacher, we saw someone casting out demons in your name,[f] and we tried to stop him, because he was not following us.” 39 But Jesus said, “Do not stop him, for no one who does a mighty work in my name will be able soon afterward to speak evil of me. 40 For the one who is not against us is for us. 41 For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward.”

so shouldn’t we be okay with all denominations and not try to say one is better than the other? i understand that the Catholic Church is the one found by Jesus, and continues lineage from St. Peter, however wouldn’t it be okay to attend several different services instead of just the Catholic Mass? the thing i don’t get is how a lot of Catholics say that it’s a sin to attend a Protestant service (unless it’s a funeral, marriage etc.) Like I just want to call myself Christian, and be okay with attending many different denominations. I understand that I will definitely hear things i don’t believe in all denominations (i mean, i’m sure no one agrees 100% with a single denomination) but the message is still the same, and i’ll just ignore the parts i don’t want to believe etc.

and regarding the Eucharist that i was talking about earlier, i meant to say that i don’t know if it is the body and blood of Christ, but if it is, I don’t believe that one who receives a Catholic Eucharist is superior than to another who receives a Protestant Eucharist etc.

i still want to continue attending the Catholic Mass because i do believe it’s beautiful, but at the same time I do love Protestant services as well, and don’t want people to say that i’m sinning or doing something wrong by attending the other, and vice versa. that being said, i’m not currently baptized. I don’t think i want to be baptized Catholic, because then i’ll have to follow the rules as to not attend Protestant services, and i’ll have to believe that the Catholic faith is the only true faith etc etc. so what do you think about me just getting baptized by some non-denominational pastor, and then become multi-denominational by attending various different services? thanks

[LIST=1]
*]This is before He establishes His Church
*]It’s possible these are the Gentiles who will ultimately be brought into the Church
[/LIST]This passage is often brought up by those not in the Church to justify themselves.

No

Only if it is Catholic. There is no such thing as seperate but equal.

Christians that aren’t Catholic, under the successor of Peter have been sifted away from Peter and the Church by Satan (seperating / dividing ) them like wheat. Luke 22:30-32

The Catholic Church is not a denomination. It is the one and only Church Jesus established.

This is relativism and indifferentism. Protestants don’t have valid orders, no valid priesthood, no valid Eucharist etc etc .

I don’t think you’re ready to be Catholic. I hope you are not receiving the Eucharist when you are attending mass.

Sure XD if you don’t believe that truth matters and are too lazy to do your own homework to find out what is true and what is not.

Emotions are not vital to one’s religion in spite what many n-C communities seem to think is appropriate for their services where you can “feel the spirit” like some kind of high school pep rally or something.

Moreover, your plan does not allow for the fact that you will be unable to partake of one of the amazing and miraculous scriptural aspects of the Catholic faith…the Eucharist.

So if none of this is important to you, then go right ahead with your plans, but you have been made aware of the truth and remember what John Henry Newman said, ***[FONT=Palatino Linotype]“We can believe what we choose. We are answerable for what we choose to believe.”***[/FONT]

XD1993 #27
i understand that the Catholic Church is the one found by Jesus, and continues lineage from St. Peter, however wouldn’t it be okay to attend several different services instead of just the Catholic Mass?

As none of the Protestant denominations have the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, all seven sacraments, the primacy and infallibility of the Pope in teaching dogma and doctrine, Her Tradition and Her Sacred Scriptures, you would not have what Christ has given us.

i don’t know if it is the body and blood of Christ, but if it is, I don’t believe that one who receives a Catholic Eucharist is superior than to another who receives a Protestant Eucharist etc.

That fallacy shows that you know so little that is good and true, and will never know until you accept that and really want to know Jesus and what He really has taught.

i’m not currently baptized. I don’t think i want to be baptized Catholic, because then i’ll have to follow the rules as to not attend Protestant services, and i’ll have to believe that the Catholic faith is the only true faith etc etc

The first need is the desire for baptism as Christ has commanded, to be baptised, and as no other sect has what Christ has given His Catholic Church that is where to go for the fullness of truth. and for His Body and Blood as He has provided.

Falsely assuming that other denominations have what Christ instituted and commanded should be the first error to be discarded.

XD, I think you have some more work to do. While Catholicism and the various Protestant denominations have very much in common, there is still a lot of work to be done on your part before you can make a commitment to anything. Many Protestants look with so much scorn on Catholic doctrine that they will say that one can not be a faithful, knowledgable Catholic and be saved. Similarly, Catholics usually take a kinder tenor, but they have to admit that if any Protestants are saved, they will only be saved on account of their ignorance. By what you have said, it sounds like you have already put yourself beyond the pale of Calvinist orthodoxy. How can you belong to different groups that are all anathematizing each other? You will be declaring yourself anathema by your indifference.

There is only one truth, and you will have to figure that out for yourself. Remember the words of the Savior.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. (John 16:13)

thanks, i have decided to stick to Catholicism. however, i’m still interesting in going to Protestant services once in a while. will this be sinful now? what about when i’m a Catholic? thanks

When you are a Catholic you are advised not to attend a non-Catholic Christian worship service. It would be a sin, for example, to receive Communion at such a service or participate in anything else at the service that contradicts Catholic teaching.
We are allowed to attend baptisms, weddings and funerals at these churches.

[quote=XD1993] I don’t think i want to be baptized Catholic, because then i’ll have to follow the rules as to not attend Protestant services, and i’ll have to believe that the Catholic faith is the only true faith etc etc. so what do you think about me just getting baptized by some non-denominational pastor, and then become multi-denominational by attending various different services? thanks
[/quote]

That is why I believe you are not ready for Catholicism. You would do well to do as you have outlined above. You need to absorb much more about Christianity. Do not act hastily. Consider the costs. Even as a baptized Protestant, you are free to attend Catholic services, and study Catholic Theology. But I would recommend getting baptized in a mainline Christian Church. One that believes in the Sacramental character of Baptism. Therefore consider churches such as: Lutheran, Anglican/Episcopalian, Presbyterian, Methodist. Stay away from Baptist, Evangelical, “non-denominational” groups. Also: Be sure to save your documentation from your Christian baptism for some future date, if you are ever called into the Catholic Communion. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.