Would it be correct to say that God is Catholic?

Hey everyone. On another website I said that God is Catholic. I said this because He founded the Catholic Church. Is it correct to say God is Catholic?

I would not think so.

To be Catholic you need to have received the sacraments of initiation.

God has never received a Christian baptism, wiping away the stain of Original Sin (which He never had).
No bishop of the Catholic Church ever confirmed Him (strengthening in Him the gifts of the Holy Spirit, which He never received).
And he has never eaten the Body nor drunk the Blood of Christ.

He is pure spirit.

First define our terms, particularly “Catholic”.

By canon law a “Catholic” is someone baptized into the Catholic Church. God, obviously, isn’t baptized into the Church, therefore He is not a Catholic.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines a “Catholic” in paragraph 837 thus,

“Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who - by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion - are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but ‘in body’ not ‘in heart.’”

God would not be a “Catholic” by this definition either.

You are thinking of it a bit backwards. God isn’t a part of the Church, the Church is, in a sacramental sense, a part of God (His Body). The Church is the Kingdom of God, the One True Religion, The Bride of Christ, and the People of God, but God is not a member of Her, rather she is journeying toward Him.

We can’t say that God is Catholic, but we can truthfully say that God wants everyone to be Catholic.

He is also man. The Incarnation lasts forever.

I would say no because it places the faith above God. Similar to how “God is on my side” places you above God (it should be “I’m on God’s side”).

No. It would be odd to say God the Father is part of any religion.

The way you’ve worded this makes it sound as if you don’t think it would be odd to say Christ or the Holy Spirit are a part of a religion. Is that intended? If so, I’d be interested to here why you think that.

This would be correct if you mean God is the God as Catholics know Him. And so, for example, religions that do not know the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit do not so fully know God in contrast. But perhaps you should be careful not to suggest that God somehow belongs to Catholics, or others do not know Him at all.

Of course as others here suggest God is not a Catholic because God is not a follower of God as Catholics follow Him, but He is God Himself. But I expect that you do not mean such a thing, but something else entirely.

God is definitely Catholic!

He celebrated Baptism in the river.
He celebrated Reconciliation on the Cross.
He celebrated Eucharist at the Last Supper.
He celebrated Confirmation in the Garden.
He celebrated Matrimony in The Apocalypse of Saint John.
He celebrated Holy Orders as The Great High Priest.
He celebrated Anointing of the Sick in His Passion.

Thanks for sharing such an intriguing question!

I would like to think that God considers us as a chosen people. Practicing Catholics and yes practicing Jews, dedicate their lives by nature to God. I know protestants that can fill this description, but IMHO they carry more earthly baggage, but not all.

God certainly does transend “organized” religion. One group may be more on target than others, but this is for God to decide. I think Catholics happen to be more on target, or I would not have become one. I have to say though, anything in “name only” does not amount to much. We HAVE to practice in order to measure up.

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant when I said God is Catholic. What I meant when I said that God is Catholic is that the only religion that is totally pleasing to God is the Catholic Church. Does that make more sense? I’m sorry if I confused anyone with my original post. I didn’t make clear what I meant so it was my fault.

It is definitely true to say that Christ, who is God, founded the Catholic Church, that the Catholic Church is the sacrament of salvation to the whole world, the body of Christ, which has the fullness of truth. The Catholic Church is as they say, “the one true Church”, that contains the truth and presence of God in abundance.

I’m not sure it’s correct to say God is Catholic, however, I think it is correct to say that all the souls in heaven are Catholic. That is to say, that everyone in heaven believes in God, believes all of what God has revealed. Does that necessarily mean they were Catholic on earth? Of course not. But to be united intimately, eternally with God would necessitate true understanding of God.

Christ, during his time on Earth, was Jewish and even referred to as rabbi. I would go so far as to say that the only way Jesus abstained from all sin was by being Jewish instead of Catholic or Christian because Judaism worships the Father alone.

To imply that Jesus was Catholic means that Jesus worshiped himself. This would violate the First Commandment that as a rabbi, Jesus taught and upheld. If He is without sin, then he would not break a commandment.

The Church, the bride of Christ, is the embodiment of Christ after the death of Jesus. When Jesus gasped his last breath at that very moment the Church was born. While God is beyond our limited understanding of “Church” or “Catholic” it is his will that their be a deposit of Faith for us to turn to during our earthly life.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is easily the best description I’ve seen of it. It does not lump God as PART of a religion, per se, but rather as the embodiment of it.

Yes.

(Jesus is Catholic | Hans Urs von Balthasar) ignatiusinsight.com/features2006/hub_jesusiscatholic_oct06.asp

Basically to be Catholic means to embrace all things, and that is precisely what love does. And because God is Love, God is Catholic.

Well, the Son (2nd person of God) is man. But neither the Father nor the Spirit are man. So I guess the next question would be

Do you mean God (who is often the title given to the Father)

or do you mean the trinity (all three persons).

If the first, He is pure spirit.
If the 2nd, the Father and HS are pure spirit so are ruled out immediately. And the Son, we never initiated into the faith. (By the way, the Church teaches, you cannot baptize yourself).

All these apply only to Jesus. Not to God (a trinity of beings).

He was never baptized or confirmed (in a Christian sense). Never received Holy Orders or was Married to a woman. He was not anointed in the Passion.

Perhaps another way of looking at it is this:

Baptized in the name of the Trinity in the Jordan (Holy Spirit comes as a dove, the Father speaks, and the Son himself approves of his own mission as he is the one who undergoes the baptism)
Confirmed in his Transfiguration
Receives the Eucharist at his Last Supper
Receives the Anointing of the Sick in the Garden of Gethsemane (strengthened by an angel from God the Father)
Receives Holy Orders in becoming a Priest on the Cross
Celebrates Reconciliation on the Cross by “confessing” the sins of the world in himself by “becoming sin”.
And finally, marries the Church at it’s founding at Pentecost.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.