Would it be problematic for a Catholic to work at a Shriner's Hospital?

I ask because of the Freemasonry connection.

There is no prohibition on accepting employment from people outside the faith, or even from apostates or heretics. As for the Shriners, "Children up to age 18 with orthopaedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate are eligible for care..."; none of these procedures are morally problematic, *per se. No one is turned away due to inability to pay, but only because they have a condition that is untreatable or outside the scope of what the hospitals provide. The Shriners have beliefs in opposition to ours, but they are not persecutors of the Church. I suppose there might be therapies that could be problematic, but since these hospitals do neither abortions nor sterilizations, it might possibly be the most morally unambiguous hospital you could hope to work for.

*(From the Shriner web site)

Wow!!! Do you have any idea the millions of childrens these hositpals help and remove a HUGE worry to their families by covering the cost! Last time I went to a catholic hositpal they had no prolbem handing me an over sized bill! Freemasons in the US is no more than a social club that does a lot charity work. I wish the church would see that!

[quote="convert38, post:3, topic:228629"]
Wow!!! Do you have any idea the millions of childrens these hositpals help and remove a HUGE worry to their families by covering the cost! Last time I went to a catholic hositpal they had no prolbem handing me an over sized bill! Freemasons in the US is no more than a social club that does a lot charity work. I wish the church would see that!

[/quote]

I'd be careful with that tone, sir/maam. In contrast to your statement, I recently had three surgeries at a Catholic hospital and the third one was gratis. Freemasonry is much more than just a social club. Otherwise, popes wouldn't condemn membership into the Freemasonry. BTW, have you heard of St. Jude Children's Hospital it Memphis, Tennessee?

Why not work at a Catholic Hospital?

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

[quote="Mark77, post:5, topic:228629"]

mark

[/quote]

If a job in a Catholic hospital were offered, yes. The person is in somewhat dire need of income. If a job were to be offered at the Shriner's before a Catholic hospital, would it be problematic to accept the job at the Shriner's?

Perhaps the OP does not have a Catholic hospital nearby, or if there is one, they have no open positions in the OP's specialty. I have been in a similar situation, working in a Methodist hospital. There was a Catholic hospital in the area, but at the time I was seeking employment, they were on strike and had a hiring freeze. Additionally, the Methodist hospital was considerably larger and had some specialty areas that the Catholic hospital did not (i.e. pediatric ICU, burn unit, etc.). My priest said that it was not a problem as long as the Methodists did not try to push their religion on me or force me to do things against my faith such as assisting with abortions. After working there for awhile, you'd never know they were Methodist except by their name; it was a very secular environment. Most hospitals nowadays have "diversity statements" on their HR pages, stating that they recognize and support diversity in age, ethnicity, religion, etc., so I don't see a problem here at all.

[quote="Mark77, post:5, topic:228629"]

mark

[/quote]

There are plenty of nominally Catholic hospitals that provide services that are not acceptable according to the teaching of the Church. Because the Shriner Hospitals do not provide reproductive services and do not get involved in end-of-life issues with adults (such as assisted suicide), they aren't going to have those same problems.

That is not to say it is immoral to work at a hospital, Catholic or not, that performs procedures that are immoral. If the worker is not directly complicit, then that can be morally acceptable, as well.

It is not necessary to prefer a job at a Catholic hospital over a job at a Shriner's Hospital, since the Shriner's job does not in any way imply an endorsement of Freemasonry, any more than taking a job in a Jewish hospital would be an endorsement of the rejection of Jesus as the Messiah or taking a job at a Seventh-Day Adventist hospital would be an endorsement of that religion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.