Would Jesus Christ have shared physical characteristics with His "earthly father", Joseph?

Thank you,
Eugen von Böhm-Bawerk

Interesting question. I’ve sometimes wondered what DNA our Lord has. Half His genes from Our Lady, plus the ‘Y’ chromosome, but what about the rest?

I’m sure the Holy Spirit would have Him look middle-eastern, not east asian or scandanavian or Incan. What do people who have had visions of St. Joseph say?

At a minimum, both were semitic male humans. Thus, there would be some similarity. Those of us who are not of that ancestry might insist they “all look alike,” anyway. :ehh:

You are, of course, referring to the particular attributes that one of their shared ancestry might glance at the two and insist they are closely related based upon that alone. We have no way of knowing whether this was the case without surviving first-hand images of both. It would not be outside the possibility of God’s power, however, for them to share particular characteristics.

Since he was conceived without a human father, Jesus would only have genetic material from Mary. St Joseph would have given Jesus protection, love, instruction, daily bread, etc, but nothing hereditary. The male half of Jesus’s DNA is the “miracle” part.
I always like to think that Jesus did resemble his mother. Who knows? And I am curious what type of man Joseph was, as in, what did he look like?
Maybe Jesus did pick up some mannerisms from Joseph…maybe how he ate or his gestures while telling a story…

I’m not sure if it was from the Shroud of Turin, or St. Veronica’s veil, but blood samples taken from one of them, showed that there was no X chromosome, only the Y, which would indicate the blood of a female.

Of course Jesus was conceived through the power of the Holy Spirit and not a man, so, Jesus would’ve only had Mary’s Y chromosome.

He may have some resemblence to St. Joseph, but we’ll never know in this life.
Jim

Jesus was fully God and fully man, and therefore had to have a full complement of human DNA. Why wouldn’t God have used the DNA from both his human parents to create Christ’s human body? We don’t know that He did or didn’t. If He did, Jesus may have looked more like Joseph than Mary, depending on the genes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.