Would Jesus support gay marriage?

Well, would he? Your thoughts are cordially invited.

theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/29/elton-john-jesus-supported-gay-marriage

:rolleyes::banghead:

This seems like the perfect time/place for me to vent about part-time Christians who maybe go to church once every three months who interpret Jesus as Barney the friendly purple dinosaur! And then I’m told I’m being judgemental when I don’t agree with their liberal values. Some I do agree with, but that doesn’t mean Jesus would have agreed as well! Sheesh.
/end rant.

Oh, Elton, just stick to your rockin piano skills. :thumbsup:

No. :shrug:

Not sure if he’d support gay marriage, but not sure he’d care either way. Once again, Jesus never did anything to change Roman government, even when it openly persecuted Christians.

Jesus cares more about the battle within for people’s hearts, that they may believe in him as Lord and Savior.

He doesn’t care about secular governments, especially when he allegedly promised the Catholic Church that the Church would survive them all!

So why does the Catholic Church insist on getting involved with the politics of gay rights??

No. You might enjoy this: Was Jesus a "Liberal?"

It’s not about getting involved in the “politics of gay rights”. It’s about upholding what marriage actually is. And Jesus had a lot to say about that (see Matthew 5:27-32). And what Jesus said ran in contrast to what the “lawmakers” of his day were saying.

In a word, no.

In several words; Not a chance. Christ was quite clear on the nature of marriage, and no amount of political or social pressure could even begin to convince him otherwise.

Christ may have been quite clear on the nature of marriage, but Christ was also clear that the second commandment is to love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Also, as I said in the other thread, the Church needs to recognize that it has lost this battle. There is no sense in opposing a civil rights issue.

The Church needs to step out of politics, and clean up the corruption and hypocrisy that is going on within. The Church is turning people off with its insistence on stepping into politics.

Who cares if secular groups want to redefine marriage? It was never valid to God to begin with. All that matters is what the Church does within, with its people, despite whatever a secular government does.

That’s all that God cares about. Jesus never did anything to change a Roman secular government that openly persecuted Christians.

The Church needs to either 1) Instead of opposing gay marriage rights, instead support getting the government out of marriage, and leave marriage as the province of other entities such as churches. Or 2) Posture itself as an oppressed minority and seek religious protections the way Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and Jehovah’s Witnesses get in America.

Jesus didn’t talk from a platform.

He convicted the hearts of people directly, like the woman at the well.

Of course not. Would Jesus have let his Church be in error for 2,000 years?

Elton is just another of a long line of people who have created a god in their own image and likeness. nothing new there.

No he does not support gay marriage.

No question about it.

Hmm…:hmmm: …well…let me go check…no? Nope. Still hasn’t changed his mind on that. But hang around a couple thousand years more and keep wishing he will have.

No. Jesus would not support sinful behavior.

Okay, so you are open to a solution in which same-sex marriages are allowed, but churches that oppose them are not required to perform them? Because none of that is inconsistent with the Bible?

No- For one thing there is no such thing as “Same Sex Marriage”. Laws publicly affirming grievous sin are harmful to all.

Jesus most definitely would not support “gay marriage”. He is the 2nd Person of the Most Holy Trinity and God, of course, created man and woman and He created marriage too. Had He intended for “gay marriage” to be allowed, He would have created a “gay marriage” in the beginning or at least He would have allowed it in the Bible. However, He did not do that. Rather, He inspired Bible verses that condemn homosexual sex such as these:

You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
(Leviticus 18:22 RSV-CE)

Therefore God gave them up in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, to the dishonoring of their bodies among themselves, because they exchanged the truth about God for a lie and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed for ever! Amen. For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. Their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural, and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in their own persons the due penalty for their error. And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a base mind and to improper conduct. They were filled with all manner of wickedness, evil, covetousness, malice. Full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malignity, they are gossips, slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. Though they know God’s decree that those who do such things deserve to die, they not only do them but approve those who practice them.
(Romans 1:24-32 RSV-CE)

Do you not know that the unjust will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators nor idolaters nor adulterers nor boy prostitutes nor practicing homosexuals nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.
(1 Corinthians 6:9-10 NAB)

Genesis 19 New American Bible

“The two angels reached Sodom in the evening, as Lot was sitting at the gate of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he got up to greet them; and bowing down with his face to the ground, he said, ‘Please, my lords, come aside into your servant’s house for the night, and bathe your feet; you can get up early to continue your journey.’ But they replied, ‘No, we will pass the night in the town square.’ He urged them so strongly, however, that they turned aside to his place and entered his house. He prepared a banquet for them, baking unleavened bread, and they dined. Before they went to bed, the townsmen of Sodom, both young and old—all the people to the last man—surrounded the house. They called to Lot and said to him, ‘Where are the men who came to your house tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have sexual relations with them.’ Lot went out to meet them at the entrance. When he had shut the door behind him, he said, ‘I beg you, my brothers, do not do this wicked thing!’”

When Jesus was searching for a likeness of evil to compare with the refusal of people to hear the gospel, he chose the sodomites of Sodom and Gomorrah as the next-to-worst sinners to be dealt with on judgment day.

“Whoever will not receive you or listen to your words–go outside that house or town and shake the dust from your feet. I tell you the truth, the wicked cities of Sodom and Gomorrah will be better off than such a town on the judgment day.” Matthew 10:14

Loving doesn’t mean allowing to do whatever they please. Homosexual acts are intrinsically immoral. Encouraging someone to commit grave evil is not loving someone, it’s not caring about them.

Also, as I said in the other thread, the Church needs to recognize that it has lost this battle. There is no sense in opposing a civil rights issue.

Yeah, it’s lost it for a few years, and it’s lost it before, and many other “civil rights” battles. And yet, here we are, 2000 years or so after our creation, and we’ve withstood and come out on top of every one of them.

The Church will always win in the end ^^

The Church needs to step out of politics, and clean up the corruption and hypocrisy that is going on within. The Church is turning people off with its insistence on stepping into politics.

At this point you’re stepping into straw man attacks. The Church does not need to step out of politics, as it is our duty to try to guide society. We have a moral obligation to promote just laws, and a moral obligation to renounce and fight against unjust ones.

Who cares if secular groups want to redefine marriage? It was never valid to God to begin with. All that matters is what the Church does within, with its people, despite whatever a secular government does.

The problem is that it changes the way society views marriage, which changes their understanding of natural law. The government promoting immorality leads more people to engage in that immorality. You need look no further than divorce and abortion to see the truth in that statement.

That’s all that God cares about. Jesus never did anything to change a Roman secular government that openly persecuted Christians.

The Church needs to either 1) Instead of opposing gay marriage rights, instead support getting the government out of marriage, and leave marriage as the province of other entities such as churches. Or 2) Posture itself as an oppressed minority and seek religious protections the way Muslims, Hindus, Jews, and Jehovah’s Witnesses get in America.

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that you don’t have the slightest idea what God cares about, or what the Church needs to do. Sorry that I think your ideals are inferior to the 2000 year history of the Church and it millenia of accumulated knowledge.

:dts:

:nope:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.