Would Marge Simpson have grounds to get a Catholic annulment?

1 Like

No, for two reasons:

1. Neither Homer nor Marge were Catholic at the time they were married, per their character biographies (Though Homer and Bart convert to Catholicism at some point in the series). If we assume that they are both baptized, being as they are not Catholic, they are not bound by canonical form, and so contract a valid and sacramental marriage in virtue of exchanging consent. There is nothing to suggest that anything was lacking in their giving of consent.

2. Marge is a fictional character. Tribunals cannot rule on the marriages of fictional characters.

:roll_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

-Fr ACEGC

18 Likes

Padre. What what fictional tribunals?

0 Likes

Wait, what?

2 Likes

Let’s say that Homer and Marge were both Catholic at the time they got married.

0 Likes

Without investigating, it would be impossible to determine whether intention was lacking, assuming all things necessary for valid form were present. There are two reasons:

1. What you propose is a hypothetical that cannot possibly take into account everything which might lay hidden and thus require the self-revelation of the subjects. This is mostly because

2. they are fictional characters, so we can’t possibly know what they were thinking when they got married, because they don’t exist.

3 Likes

And Liam Neeson is their priest.

3 Likes

When did that happen? Was it an older episode or a newer one?

0 Likes

About eight years ago, I think.

0 Likes

It’s pretty old. I remember seeing it as a teenager. I believe it was the one that featured “Protestant Heaven” and “Catholic Heaven”.

9 Likes

Possible grounds for annulment:

1. Marge and Homer may have felt pressured into marrying because Marge was pregnant at the time they exchanged their wedding vows. The venue of their wedding, namely Shotgun Pete’s Wedding Chapel, suggests that they may even have been forced to marry, i.e., that it was a so-called shotgun wedding.
  2. Homer may have been drunk at the time they exchanged their vows.
  3. Homer’s later infidelities might mean that at the time they exchanged vows Homer had no intention of remaining faith to Marge until death they do part.
2 Likes

1. All marriages between persons who are shown to be fictional are null and void.
5 Likes

1. What if like, we’re fictional, and Homer and Marge watch us on TV?
11 Likes

That could be!

0 Likes

This reminds me of someone trying to work out if Batman was Anglican or Catholic based on the wedding for the original version of the character seen in the 70’s when he marries Catwoman. I’d say Anglican meself, although Bruce’s mum was identified years later as Catholic although that was not meant to include the original 30’s version of the character. It’s amusing as a game, but that’s all it is a game. Other classics might include from sci-fi and fiction:-

Is Spock’s mother’s marriage valid from a Catholic standpoint?

Is Superman’s marriage to Lois valid from a similar standpoint?

Or we might just admit they are all fictional creations and that’s fanboyism gone a step too far.

0 Likes

It’s from the episode “Father, Son, and Holy Guest Star”, Season 16, episode 21. It first aired on May 15, 2005.

1 Like

But if a fictional character has a fictitious wedding, is that a double negative?

Or would it be a triple negative if both were fictional?

Does it matter how much the wood chuck could chuck?

1 Like

…He what!? :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Nah. He always chucks as much as he could chuck.

0 Likes

The Batman of Earth-2 (who was considered to be the version who had been operating since 1939*) was married to Catwoman for a number of years before DC killed him of in 1979. When DC started making a big deal out of the two characters possibly getting hitched last year I was smiling to myself because there are very new plots in the soap opera world of superhero comics and they knew most people simply wouldn’t remember that as it is a long, long time ago by the standards of an industry built on fads and trends.

0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.