Would this be a Mortal Sin? (Plz Help;Urgent)

Would it be a Mortal Sin not to do, or say anything to try and stop my aunt from committing fornication?

It would be a good thing for you to let her know what she is doing is wrong, if you are certain that she is fornicating, but you can’t really physically stop her, because you probably won’t be around if she ever tries something like that, i’m not sure if that is a mortal sin of ommision or not though :frowning:

It all depends on the details of the situation. Not admonishing a sinner can be a sin of omission, but we have to ask ourselves what an appropriate response to a situation is based on all its circumstances, and whether a particular approach may do more harm than good.

Sometimes family members are the last people to be likely to influence a person’s moral behavior. This is all the more true, I would think, when it is a very unequal relationship between family members of different generations. Unless you are one of those rare instances in which she and you are close in age and more like siblings, cousins, or friends than an ordinary aunt-niece/nephew relationship, it seems unlikely to me that you are in a position to “stop” her immoral behavior.

You could try gently saying to her what she’s doing is seen as a sin or even ask her does she think that what she’s doing is a sin in a gentle enquiring manner. It might be enough to make her stop & think.
At least, you will have done something for her.
I’ll keep you in my prayers

I think you will find the answers your are looking for in this homily

audiosancto.org/sermon/20130901-Fraternal-Correction-Object-Intention-and-Circumstances.html

Thanks for the help you guys, I really appreciate it. I have a better understanding about my situation. I was actually thinking of texting or maybe calling her about it to warn her and stuff, because she’s out of town right now, but like what Aelred said, I don’t think that I’m in any position to do that and that if I did that it might just make matters worse. Maybe I could tell one of her siblings to talk to her and warn her, but they might just get angry at me because we’re not really that close. Oh and thanks for the link that you gave me domNoah, I’m actually listening to it right now and it seems to be really helpful. Now I just have to figure out how to play the whole thing since it keeps on stopping on my laptop.

It would not be a mortal sin.

1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: "Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent."131

Source

How do you know she is?

Your welcome YEARNING4TRUTH :tiphat:

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.