Would this be like taking God's name in vain?

i have been thinking, have you seen that in some fictional works, they use verses of the Bible, or adapt parts of it to the show, specially the Apocalipsis, would you consider this some form of using God’s name in vain?

I wouldn’t say this qualifies directly. Of course they may also be using the Lord’s name in vain. However it does seem to be directly addressed in the Bible, see 2 Peter, chapter 3 verse 13 - 18 :

13 But according to his promise we await new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.

14 Therefore, beloved, since you await these things, be eager to be found without spot or blemish before him, at peace.

15 And consider the patience of our Lord as salvation, as our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, also wrote to you,

16 speaking of these things as he does in all his letters. In them there are some things hard to understand that the ignorant and unstable distort to their own destruction, just as they do the other scriptures.

17 Therefore, beloved, since you are forewarned, be on your guard not to be led into the error of the unprincipled and to fall from your own stability.

18 But grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory now and to the day of eternity. [Amen.]

My take:

1. they are twisting scripture to their own destruction and
  2. we shouldn’t be watching it so as not to be led into error and fall from our own stability.

well, I dont mean those who actually twist the Scripture to deceive. but more like they use symbolism (yeah, i just find out how to say it). so the question is if someone uses Religious Symbolism is it like taking the Lord’s Name in vain?

for example let’s say John is a comic writer, and he makes a comic somewhat based on the apocalipse, so you see some parts of it being like representations of the apocalipse but with guys on spandex. of course the intention is not to deceive, but to use one of the most famous and shocking parts of the bible.

This isn’t taking the Lord’s name in vain unless they are actually using his name, (again, not having seen the show, they may be using his name in vain, I can’t tell directly from what you are describing), however it is definitely blasphemy.

Mary

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.