Would this be rude?

My sister-in-law is pregnant. I saw the cutest maternity shirts and I really wanted to get them for her. I don’t want to seem like I’m out of my place and being rude. I know they don’t have lots of money and she knows that I know that…My brother and I are really close and we talk about everything. I knew she was pregnant before they told the rest of the family. I just don’t want to seem like I’m trying to be rude. I don’t have money either so its not like I’m buying her an entire closet full. I just thought they were really cute!!

I don’t think there’d be anything wrong with getting her a shirt or two. Would you do this even if they didn’t have financial issues? You might ask your brother and see what he thinks her reaction would be.

Yes. I would do it even if they were rich. They were just the cutest shirts!! I would wear them if i could!!

You might want to call your SIL and tell her what you told us: that you saw these maternity shirts and thought they were really cute. You’d really like to get one or two if it’s okay with her.

That way you make it sound like she’s doing you a favor by accepting your offer. If for some reason she really doesn’t want the shirts, or if she has any questions about styles, fabrics, sizes, and colors, she has the chance to speak up.

I thought about asking her, but I love giving gifts. I was going to put it in a pretty bag with all that pretty tissue paper.

I’d go for it!!

I’d say do it. Present the gift with something like, “It’s too early to buy for the baby, but the mama can ALWAYS use pampering!” that way, it’s made clear this is a gift of love, not of “you can’t afford clothes, so I’m taking care of you”.

I LOVE getting gifts! Why don’t you send ME some of those shirts, too? :smiley:

So would I. I remember feeling like nothing fit and the some clothes I had looked awful. So anything really cute would have been great.

My wife is pregnant and always open to getting cute shirts :shrug:

Just kidding. I agree with the others that say go ahead and get it for her!

God bless your thoughtfulness.

Absofrickinlutely get her that shirt/dress/whatever. Nothing tacky of course (thank goodness it’s temporary - oof!) but pretty and proud. It may be temporary, but rockin’ that bulge is great, so think carefully (ie ASK her) about what she’d like to wear But the gift right away is very cool too, no matter what.

Just my take on the subject.

Not rude at all! In fact, it’s very thoughtful! I’d go for it!

It’s not rude at all. I remember the first time I was pregnant, some of the women in the department I worked in were so excited that I was pregnant that they got together and bought me two maternity outfits. I thought it was really sweet of them. I’m sure that your SIL would think it was a very nice thing for you to do.

My only suggestion for buying women clothing is be absolutely 100 percent for sure certain you know exactly what size. Lord knows you don’t want to drop the ball there, with a normal woman it can be a nightmare. You might not survive a woman hopped up on pregnancy hormones.

did you use spell check on that? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree!!! (though i have never been pregant i just love it when people give me gifts out of the blue or say hey i say this at the store and thought of you. It means that they know my taste and care about me. Go for it!

Go for it, and make sure to include a gift receipt in the package, just in case. I think it’s a very nice idea. :thumbsup:

did you use spell check on that? :confused: :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

I think this was one of the words at the big spelling bee last night! :smiley: I’m pretty sure she’s got it right! :rotfl:

I agree with others here… gifts are ALWAYS nice and appropriate!
I loved wearing maternity clothes… I think that’s really sweet to think of her… not rude at all! :slight_smile:

Thanks everyone. I just didn’t want to look like I was being rude. She is only a few months pregnant so she is starting to show and I think its so cute! Thats my neice in there!! I want her to look cute! I just didn’t want to seem out of place.

What a really loving thought go for it!:slight_smile:

I would have been SO grateful if someone would have bought me some extra maternity clothes! Those things ARE very expensive, and I barely had enough. Can you be my SIL? :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.