Would this be sin by silence?

If somebody mentioned in conversation that he/she is divorced and remarried, would it be sinful not to tell him/her that it is evil?

Shaking my head.

Are you serious? You cannot be serious right?

Yes it would be sin by silence. Getting a divorce then remarrying is pure evil and it is your duty to judge others and tell them what is evil in their lives.

Just don’t be surprised if you get slapped/punched/yelled at/told off/laughed at.

To Catholics though this is a sin, forbidden in quite direct terms by Jesus himself (Lk 16:18). Though one of the Gospels does claim it is acceptable in one case if the spouse is unchaste in the others the others the verdict is absolute and unanimous, no, none ever, full stop. It’s an evil act, and Catholics are to call out and condemn evil.

That said, I share your sentiment and it’s one of the things I find difficult to comprehend about Catholicism; when it teaches something which appears to an objective observer like myself highly unethical (“Oh, so your husband left you and started a family with someone else? Too bad LOL”). Obviously I’m sure believers will say God decides what ethics and morals are, but again that just sounds like the despot with the most power gets his own way…

I’m rambling! OP, if your friend is a Catholic he is likely already aware of the prohibition, and if they are not they really won’t pay any attention to you. Telling them again will do little for you, other than sour your relationship.

Are you serious? I would say, we should tell them we don’t agree and WHY we don’t agree (Because God doesn’t) but we SHOULD NOT JUDGE. We don’t know the complete story of the divorce, that’s why it’s really important to be reluctant and not just say it’s just plain evil. It know a devout Catholic woman why was divorced TWICE (married and annulled before the church both times), we simply don’t know the situation.

I’m going to assume that that is sarcasm, because it seems a bit exaggerated. Perhaps you might not think it is a sin to divorce and remarry without having the first marriage annulled, but the Church says otherwise… After all:

“Everyone who divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery, and he who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery.” Luke 16:18

As for whether or not it was a sin by silence, I would say no. You weren’t participating in and encouraging their ilicit relationship. Sometimes you have to pick your fights when it comes to carefully guiding someone and not simply point out every sin you see.

If, however, this couple is Catholic and one or both of them receives the eucharist even though they are not in a state of grace due to their adultry, and you have knowledge of that, then I think you have a duty to point out to them that they are committing sacrelige. Knowing that they are directly committing sacrelige and staying silent is a MUCH larger issue. Plus, if they are Catholic, they likely already know the Church’s position on divorce.

Even though I don’t think your silence was necessarily a sin, you might bring it up to them anyway out of your duty as a Christian, especially if you know them/their situation well.

The CCC says the following:

To avoid rash judgment, everyone should be careful to interpret insofar as possible his neighbor’s thoughts, words, and deeds in a favorable way: “Every good Christian ought to be more ready to give a favorable interpretation to another’s statement than to condemn it. But if he cannot do so, let him ask how the other understands it. And if the latter understands it badly, let the former correct him with love. If that does not suffice, let the Christian try all suitable ways to bring the other to a correct interpretation so that he may be saved” (CCC 2478)

I think that the last six words are the relevant ones. Perhaps a parent, sibling, other close relative or friend might have some influence on the decisions a person makes, but a random stranger who learns of a divorce in casual conversation? It is very unlikely.

People know what the Church’s stand is on divorce and remarriage. You wouldn’t be telling them something they don’t already know. The only thing you would be accomplishing is making yourself feel morally superior and alienating them, which certainly doesn’t work toward their salvation.

Agreed, if it is just a random stranger, then it is probably not the most advantageous thing to do and can actually be offputting to someone who you are trying to help.

If you are persecuted for Jesus’ sake then you are blessed, he has an obligation to mention that it is wrong for them to remarry, that is if we know or suspect that the re-marraige would be invalid.

Making a statement like that would be sinful. Since you don’t know the history or circumstances you have know way of knowing if the marriage is valid, if the first marriage was valid, or anything related to it. To say something as suggested would be judgmental and cruel. People need to be a bit better about minding their business.

Judge not lest ye be judged. Leave this to God.

That’s just the point; a casual stranger has no way of KNOWING the circumstances of your marriage. Charity requires that you assume the vest of another’s circumstances unless you know for a fact all of the relevant circumstances, which it’s very unlikely that someone you don’t know well would share with you.

It may make you feel holy to point out another’s sins and even holier if they “persecute” you for doing so, but it’s far more likely that your judgmental assumptions about the state of their soul would drive them even further from the Church.

Continually pointing out others sin, and being laughed at or being punched, is not being persecuted.

Use the wisdom that God gave you, and practice restraint. Jesus didn’t go around pointing out every person’s sin.

Perhaps some of you misunderstood my question. I am not talking about somebody talking ABOUT his/her divorce. I am asking about somebody who, for example, talks about poker and mentions that his ex wife teached him how to play. Do I have to say:“Stop! Let’s talk about Church’s teaching on divorce?”

Of course not. What good would that accomplish?

Well, how do you know the first marriage wasn’t annulled? Especially if this is someone you didn’t know very well, I kind of agree with the poster who said you better watch out for a bad response (like a punch in the head).

Good grief…why would it even occur to anyone to do that?
No wonder alot of the responses here start with “Are you serious?”

THIS!
:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.