Would this be wrong, morally?

Hi :slight_smile: I was wondering what you all think about this… I go to university and get a loan/bursary to pay for my classes, textbooks, etc. It seems that this year, I’ll have some money left over. Would it be wrong to use a bit of that money to buy something unrelated to school, - like a book or clothing? I don’t have a job and this is my only source of money for the year.

That money may be used on clothing, food, transportation and any other expenses you have during the school year .It is not limited to tuition and textbooks. It would not be a sin to use a small portion of it on a non school related purchase.Just make sure the essentials are taken care of first.

Hmm… I can’t say that’s a sin but that doesn’t sound like a good idea. Is this bursary really a loan or do they just call it that? One thing about loans: you have to pay them back. I think it’s best to save whatever extra money you have left (especially borrowed money) so you’d have less to return.

Then again, this is more of a financial issue now and not a moral one. :shrug:

If it was a condition of the loan/bursary, which you agreed to when taking it up, that the money was strictly to be used for direct educational expenses only, then it would be dishonest to use it for other purposes. If there is no such condition, you may spend it on whatever you wish.

Thanks everyone :slight_smile:

I don’t think there’s an agreement to only use the money for school… because it always exceeds the tuition amount. It’s given for other things too, like textbooks, transportation, food, etc. The bursary and loan are related and the bursary is given when there’s a low income. So I don’t know maybe it’s alright…? because I’ll still have money left over even once I’ll pay for food… it won’t be much, but maybe it would be alright if I spent 25 dollars on a book? I can’t make up my mind, lol. :shrug:

Loans and other student financial assistance can and do include living expenses, not just tuition, fees and books. And living expenses are more than just food, clothing and lodging. I would think that a book could be considered under that category, especially for a college student!

If you are concerned about it, read the agreement you must have signed when you received the money. But I would think that if you have covered all your essentials, you are free to use the remaining money as you see fit.

Plus, even if not related to a particular course, buying a book can certainly be considered part of your general education and an investment in increasing your knowledge. And since you are using what little money you have available for it, I would believe you are not being frivolous with how you spend it.

So given all of this I don’t think there is a moral issue here.

I also think that buying a necessary piece of clothing would fall under living expenses. We do need to clothe our bodies as well as eat and have shelter.

Of course dear, the money’s yours.Let’s just say the extra comes from His providence. :slight_smile:

Do not let that troubles you. The fact that you think twice about spending the left over shows that you are concerned about using it rightly.

Have a nice day.

God bless.

I have no idea, what are the terms of the award or grant? If it specifies the money is for general expenses for your support and living expenses, it can be spent for anything that qualifies such as clothing, food etc. If it is specific for tuition and books, it should be spent on tuition and books, and save any excess for the next semester’s expenses.

I concur with puzzleannie. If the term of the bursary specifically mentions on how it should be used then it should be spent as specified. Normally most loan and scholarship are for the purpose of getting you through the university but I guess we should not leave out the specifics if it is really spelt out that way.

God bless you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.