Would You Allow Your Children to Watch "The Passion of the Christ"

Yes, it is very violent, but it also very meaningful if you are a Christian. Should children be allowed to see this movie?

I personally wouldn’t let children under 14 yrs. to watch it.

yes, i am with you there.

I was 14 when I saw it. I think that’s an appropriate age. Maybe 13 would be ok. I probably wouldn’t do any younger than that.

I think it is too gory. I believe Christians should follow Christ for his teachings and example, not out of pity for all the tortures he suffered for us. That was good maybe for the Middle Ages, when bloodshedding and death was a matter of every day. Let us think of Christ alive and reigning in heaven in His glory: “Dominus regnat, majestatem indutus est, indutus est Dóminus potentiem, praecinxit se” as we sign Psalm 92 every Sunday in Lauds!

We don’t “follow Christ…out of pity for all the tortures he suffered for us.” We remember the tortures He suffered for us because they help us to remember the ultimate sacrifice He made, and to unite our sufferings with His.

I watch it about twice a year and for me it is a way to meditate on the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ. He suffered and died for my sins.

I’d recommend the animated version put out by Nest for children.

My children are 17, 10 & 9 yo but I would let them see The Passion of the Christ with me. I believed the earlier they see it the earlier it will register in their minds that violent as it may seemed, that is the truth and reality of the consequence of our sins. I was 10 yo when I first had a real looked at the crucifix and I cried and since then the though of a His passion in order to save me because He loves me never left me. My husband asked me WHY it was the kind of death he suffered? And I answered that for me I believed that was the only appropriate kind of death to save a fallen race so that people would understand the violence and terrifying effect of sin. Sin is a very very high price to pay and we sinned without feeling sorry as if it is just nothing.

So I will let my children see it with me. The earlier it will register in their minds the best before the watered down version from other sources could set in.

I would say an appropriate age would probably be around 14-15. I think that is a reasonable age to understand the gravity and importance of The Passion, and not just see Jesus and scenes of unspeakable horrors.

I think at ages younger than 14-15 you may run into problems with children being able to rationalize the graphic nature of what Jesus had to endure and how that pertains to their spirit and religious life.

Ite in pace,
Joshua

Younger children simply don’t conceptualize things like adults do. A kid seeing the Passion would likely simply become afraid. Seeing this kind of graphic material could cause nightmares as well.

No.

I agree with the posters who suggest an age of around 13-14.

We need to respect the immaturity of younger children and not expect them to have the same mind, heart, and soul as an adult. Children are not just “littler adults,” they are children who should be allowed to grow up in peace and innocent for as long as possible.

My oldest son was 11 when the movie was in theaters. I took him (he wanted to go). My other children are now older (middle son will be 14 in a month, my twins are 11) but still haven’t seen that movie.

It depends.

I would let my 12 year old see it, if she wanted to. But I know my child. There are 16 and 17 year olds that I know that wouldn’t be able to handle seeing the movie. It depends upon the maturity of the child in question, not the actual biological age.

I think it depends upon the child but I’d say arount 15-16.

I watched it in my religion class senior year, so everyone was 17-18. Even then, a lot of guys and girls, including me, cried or covered their ears and eyes. We discussed the movie as it went along which helped us to understand the message a little more. It is a very powerful movie, I’m glad I saw it, but it was very difficult to watch.

Not until at least 14. Maybe high schoolers. I haven’t even seen it myself. My sons both said they would not let young children see it.

It’s not really that much more more violent than most dramatic TV shows.

If you let your children watch dramatic TV shows, then they would be able to watch “The Passion.” But if they don’t like dramatic TV shows (or if you wouldn’t let them watch those), then they would not be able to appreciate “The Passion.”

As someone above said, it’s not the age of the child, but the maturity level. Obviously someone aged 10 or under would not be able to watch it, but older than that, it depends on how mature they are. Obviously, you also wouldn’t let them watch it by themselves - be next to them to explain what’s going on, and to reassure them that nothing like that can ever happen to them.

Really, I’ve never seen any shows like this.

I can watch anything as far as movies go but especially the scourging was very, very graphic. Remember it wasn’t just blood. It was gore.

I’m not saying that it isn’t a fine film, just that it is quite graphic- like “Saving Private Ryan” graphic.

But don’t we tell our children what happened to Jesus from a young age? Catholics are exposed to bloody crucifixes and pictures of the suffering of Christ and the stations of the way of the cross from a very young age. I remember watching these pictures at three, four or five and being moved by them so much. I kept wondering who that man was and there was something in them that was very powerful. I knew he was special and good. Sometimes I think that this early memories of sacred Art that remained with me throughout even when my family stopped attending, had a profound influence in my being drawn to the Church as a late-teen to early-twenties seeker.

I honestly would not prevent a child of eight, nine or ten from watching the film- it’s the truth! :shrug: That’s exactly what their faith is- and if it gets ingrained into their minds like the stations were in me as very small child, then all the better. The message I got from bloody pictures and crucifixes as a very small kid of three, four, five, was not one of fear or horror, but a sense of “this guy is special” more than others.

There is something that images communicate beyong words and hearing stories. I think that as a child, this sense of truth and profundity without words is more clear for some reason. Now I look at those pictures, sometimes they move me, sometimes not- But I don’t get the same sense of being drawn “into” the picture, to the wonderment and beauty in it, that I was as a child.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.