Would you defend this?

"No one can critically examine the bible and not understand that it requires extra ordinary faith to invest in its philosophy and even more in its accuracy which was never intended, nor sought."

Where and who is the source of the quote?

[quote="pablope, post:2, topic:320326"]
Where and who is the source of the quote?

[/quote]

forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?102936-Bible-discussion-3-20-2013-Matthew-14-John-Beheaded-5000-Fed-Baptism/page10

[quote="earl40, post:1, topic:320326"]
"No one can critically examine the bible and not understand that it requires extra ordinary faith to invest in its philosophy and even more in its accuracy which was never intended, nor sought."

[/quote]

i don't really know what this means

what would you hold as a greater truth that you could use to determine how to criticize the Bible and its philosophy or accuracy

if it means apparent internal contradictions; these reflect our ignorance and are resolved by further study
scripture reveals the nature of God and our relationship with him;
isn't that where the focus should be?

Let me explain a tad. The person who posted this is a RC that likes how Bart Ehrman says that bible is filled with contradictions that are the result of all the copies of the originals.

Also I agree with you statement that by the study of the bible we can resolve these contradictions. IOW we change how we read His Word and do not change His Word to fit our preconceived notions of what we think it should say. What is most frustrating is that this person (Gary) claims to be RC and appears to use this title in spite of of what I believe is the true RC view that God is the ultimate author of the bible and that He preserved it to this day.

Of course I am not absolutely positive the the RC church states that God has preserved the bible. Any incite on this?

Perhaps the OP could pull questions he/she wants answered from this quote and present them in a more understandable way.

[quote="earl40, post:5, topic:320326"]
Let me explain a tad. The person who posted this is a RC that likes how Bart Ehrman says that bible is filled with contradictions that are the result of all the copies of the originals.

Also I agree with you statement that by the study of the bible we can resolve these contradictions. IOW we change how we read His Word and do not change His Word to fit our preconceived notions of what we think it should say. What is most frustrating is that this person (Gary) claims to be RC and appears to use this title in spite of of what I believe is the true RC view that God is the ultimate author of the bible and that He preserved it to this day.

Of course I am not absolutely positive the the RC church states that God has preserved the bible. Any incite on this?

[/quote]

Hi Earl, you might let Gary know that his opinion is at variance with the teaching of the Catholic Church and he can discuss the issue on this forum, with his pastor or local ordinary if he wants. The Church holds scripture in very high esteem: at every Mass, scripture readings are proclaimed "the word of the Lord" and "the Gospel of the Lord", the lectionary of readings is processed into the church and incensed, Church Councils, popes, bishops, etc. all quote from the Bible, and so on.

I'm not sure if the Church definitively states somewhere that any specific biblical text is preserved from any error, since obviously the various manuscripts are filled with errors, however the Church is confident that the Bible as we have it today is the word of God. Moreover, the Church has continued this Tradition orally and through liturgy so that, hypothetically, even if we lost every copy of the Bible, the Word would continue in the living Church guided by the Holy Spirit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.