Would you go to the cross for others?

Would you go to the cross for others?

How far would you be willing to go to help others?

How far would you be willing to go to help others know Christ?

Would you put your health in jeopardy, to minister to others in need, whether religious or priest or layman or other?

How far would you be willing to go, and for what reasons?

Share with us any ideas, examples, concepts, bible verses, to help

1 Like

It’s important to know - and I don’t think this is mentioned often - that all of the sacrifices we make for God, and I think even the natural difficulties we experience in this life that aren’t a sacrifice in themselves, will not only be compensated for in Heaven, but will be exceeded in terms of what good we will get in the end. The good we will get is greater than the loss.

If anything, it takes away some of the sting of making a sacrifice, since you know the losses you accept to go through aren’t eternal, and don’t have the final say in the end, and thus can make it easier to sacrifice.

1 Like

I am shocked by the sacrifice of priests who are willing to die for others, and have asked myself would I do the same.

Would you, especially in these times of pandemic?

Serious question for all of us to consider.

1 Like

Who here has something to say about self sacrifice?

Is going to the cross self moritifcation to the utmost?

I will not know in this life - and that is a grace of God - but at least for a time, it was revealed to me that I was a victim soul. I asked to bear the suffering of others and that wish was granted, but even then, God’s amazing mercy was revealed.

I hesitate to mention this, but a member here (I don’t even remember who) posted in 2007 or 2008 that a family member was suspected of having cancer and was terrified. That really struck me, as my dad and two of his sisters (my aunts) all passed to cancer.

I was pondering that plight, unsure of how to address it, when my health suddenly changed. I was finally diagnosed with a rare non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. It went into remission and relapsed twice. I developed two additional cancers, (another non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma as well as a bone marrow cancer), finally having all three simultaneously in 2015. My chances of being alive today, medically speaking, are essentially zero.

I do not know if all of this has any connection - I can only pray that any suffering I underwent spared others from the same journey. I must also mention that this was not me, but God working through me, if that is the case.

1 Like

@po18guy what you are expressing is mystical to me in a deeper way than I can grasp right now, but I feel God pulling me into the direction of delving into this well.

And I want to go into it, seeking this intimate connection, and deeper relationship with Him.

Your personal sufferings, are offered up in prayer in order to save others from suffering, as a way of going to the cross for their sake?

This is profound in a way for which I can find no real words, but yet, if you are offering up your pain and sufferings, I do get it.

I cant explain, I just know

@po18guy it seems you are saying that your offered up large parts of your lifetime that were spent in suffering to ease the burden of others who were due for pusnishment for sins?

or are you saying that your sufferings were offered up as a way to help souls in purgatory?

Is this going to the cross in this world, in order to help those who have already passed from thsi world?

What is a victim soul? Im not aware of this term.

Is it true that we can offer up our sufferings for the ones we love, to ease their life burdens?

Yes we can. Our suffering is only negative if it is wasted. We are members of Christ’s mystical Body on earth. His suffering was redemptive. We, as members of His Body are also called to suffer in a redemptive manner. If our pain can ease that of others, it is gain for both of us. If it can possibly be used for the conversion of sinners, all the better.

Not many are called to be victim souls and it was revealed to me very suddenly before the Blessed Sacrament. It was not something I sought out - but rather something that was revealed to me. Once begun, the journey forever altered what my life was to be.

This is rather delicate and spiritually difficult and risky - a good, solid spiritual advisor is a must. Do not be disappointed to have a completely different calling - this is only my journey.

1 Like

I would hope and pray that I would.

4 Likes

Based on how people behave in times of persecution or trial, such as in Nazi Germany or communist take-overs, the answer is “no” by an overwhelming degree of over 99%. We cower in fear and go with the flow and rationalize and compromise and I have no reason to believe that I wouldn’t do the same.

I would pray for divine assistance from God to do the right thing because I don’t stand the slightest chance of doing the right thing on my own. I even have a hard time making the sign of the cross at a meal in public, let alone doing any of those other things.

1 Like

We don’t have any idea until we are placed in that position. We should pray to God for the strength to do the right thing when and if we are.

2 Likes

I often ask Christ to give me another person’s suffering, their cross. I may be selfish, a hypocrite, and a sinner, but just have an internal instinct to want to sacrifice myself for others. Maybe it’s because when I see Christ on the Cross I know it’s my fault and I want to be the one on the Cross because I’m the guilty one. If Christ freely did that for even the worst people on Earth, then shouldn’t I be willing to do the same?

I think what I’m trying to say is that by going to the cross for others, it is going to the Cross for Christ. I deserve the cross and then some.

2 Likes

This is my very first post - am not(yet)Catholic, but I felt the urge to say something. I’m very much in the phase of finding out as much as I can, and some things draw me in particular.

My deep interest is in Edith Stein/St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross, and her life, how she lived it, and how it ended: I’m Jewish by birth, secular, tried some observance, but…just didn’t connect(my background is complicated)

I’m now in my 60s, widowed, and finding myself in need of “something”(I can’t put it into words, but right now, am hungry for information)and she inspires me greatly.

3 Likes

The way I am now I wouldn’t go to the cross for another. I find it even difficult to accept my own crosses. Sure I have done things like fasting for the conversion of family members and friends but that is as far as I see myself going. It would take a miracle of grace for me to have enough love and courage to really suffer for another.

1 Like

Couple of things. OK, three!

1. Welcome!
  2. Check this thread from years ago: Strong Desire to Attend Mass, But Not Catholic
  3. Fr. Peter Sabbath. A conversion story that causes my eyes to mist over.

1 Like

@po18guy
Wow, that is powerful. We tend to think that our sufferings are a waste of our time!

That they take away from our life.

How profound to discover that they are useful!!

I love learning that we are the mystical body of Christ.

@po18guy I never knew that we are all called to suffer redemptively just as Christ did for us! They did not cover that in my rcia class.

It blows my mind to think that my suffering can be redemptive!!!

Guys, I really need to take notes.
Some of this really cool stuff I’m learning here on CAF is so very helpful and kind of the members to share with me and others too.

To whom much is given, much is expected. Having said that, the more you give of yourself, the more you will receive in return. By His grace, God invests in you.

1 Like

He expects much of me, because much has been given to me, by virtue of my receiving graces from Him. these graces are gained by giving of myself…is this the way to become nothing for HIs sake? The walk where you give so much of yourself to Him that you have denied yourself to the point of union?

Is this only acheived in contemplation?

Because I gave out food and supplies to day to homeless people as His hands and feet, and I take it that will gain me graces, right? Then going forwards I have more to give all over again because I just keep givng myself away and then keep getting more graces?

Am I putting myself to death, becoming nothing, for HIm, by only living to serve?

Or suffering to serve?

“More of HIm, Less of you”

You must decrease so He can increase

1 Like

You pour yourself out like a libation in serving the needy. Christ looks at you through each of their eyes.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.