Would you have to confess this?

Sometimes when I am on social media, I am exposed to things on accident, like partial nudity or lots of bad words or sexual jokes etc, it’s usually other friends or people that post those things or talk about etc and I happen to stumble upon them, when I see something , I immeditely report the image and scroll past it, but then I feel guilty, I can’t control what these people are posting and I can’t unfollow them because some of them are personal friends. Would I have to confess this? Or sometimes my friends send something through text and it has a sexual joke or something and they expect me to react to it and I fake laugh but really I feel Horrible inside because I feel dirty.

Accidentally stumbling upon impure pictures or jokes is not a sin because you did not intend to see it, so there is no need to confess it. As for the text messages, tell your friend that you do not like impure jokes and they should understand. If you pretend that you like them, they will only send more. As far as I know, impure jokes are venial sins (unless they are blasphemous, cause serious scandal, or are extremely graphic) so there is no absolute need to confess them.

Would I have to confess this? Or sometimes my friends send something through text and it has a sexual joke or something and they expect me to react to it and I fake laugh but really I feel Horrible inside because I feel dirty.

I agree with the response provided. I would also suggest that any steps that you can take to improve your environment so as to not be on the receiving end of such material would be prudent. That might mean Internet filters, or other similar means.

Unfortunately, if you live in an modern city, even the billboards are filthy. The culture and media has become so degraded, that you would almost have to live on a deserted island to avoid exposure. Regardless, take what prudent steps you can to proactively avoid these situations. That might mean blocking certain friends on social media, etc.

The Orthodox Jews are well-known for taking proactive steps to avoid these situations. Internet is filtered, and TV is pretty much banned in the home. They even have modesty glasses that can be worn when walking down the street to avoid seeing scantily clad women. They have modesty dress requirements in many of their villages and towns. I am not suggesting that you go to any extremes, but anything that you can do to protect yourself or isolate yourself from these kinds of dangers is helpful for your spiritual life. You might have to de-plug from the media from time to time.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.